Skeet Shootin?

Anything I need to know?

Bad habits are hard to unlearn. No matter what happens, mount the gun properly, keep a solid cheek weld, do not lift your head, always follow through on your shots. On every shot. Even if you miss, you can learn to correct your leads but if your technique sucks, that is a bigger issue to unlearn.

Remington has some good advice on their web site on how to shoot clays.

Edited by Zoub
if you miss.... just keep shootin.... LOL

I tried that with an 8 round. Strange thing was, because I was trying to get 8 off at a clay I took the first shot very early and broke it most times with that first shot. This isn't bragging as I'm crap on clays, just happened that way. Must be a lesson there somewhere!!

are there rules about when to shoot? like after the clay s flung do i have to wait 1 second? or can i blast it as soon as possible?

I've never heard of a minimum rule. Yes you will get strange looks from the OU crowd. If ya get 1/2 your first time out I've been told you're doing good

It was actually TRAP shooting, which I learned when I got there :) Anyway. The difference is Skeet flies across, and trap flies away and across.

At 16yrds my first run I got 7/25. The second round at 16yrds I got 15/25.... then they moved back to 21 so I did too.... Got 12/25.... THEN they moved to 25yrds and I got 7/25 :(

They all had FULL choked 24"-26" barrel OUs.... my 19" NO CHOKE was spreading too much at 25yrds+ the distance the clay moved as it flew.

If you're going trap shooting, don't even bother with a mag. I just under-loaded through the magwell the whole night. 100rds hand fed.... and the action cycling would set off the audio cue so I'd have to ride the bolt down with my hand and give it a lil' tap that last 1/4".

BUT, all in all it was very fun!

At 16yrds my first run I got 7/25. The second round at 16yrds I got 15/25.... then they moved back to 21 so I did too.... Got 12/25.... THEN they moved to 25yrds and I got 7/25 :(

For not knowing what the fuck you were getting in to/doing and having about the absolute worst possible gun for it, those numbers are good.

Next time out, try a gun like an 870 with a 28" vent rib barrel in Full choke, modifed if you stay up close. Thing is, there is no reason to move back, stay at the same distance and master it a bit.

Edited by Zoub

LOL I'm just gonna get a polychoke for the S12 and keep shooting. :)

Don't tell anyone else but, I came in 3rd out of 4 on the second round... and these guys were members of the club and had done this once or twice before :)

But when we moved back and back and back, the extra length of their barrels, coupled with their full chokes really made a difference.

I guess it goes that way when you go up against somebody with something specialized with a g.p. tool. LET'S SEE THEM PUT A SCOPE ON AND RUN SLUGS THROUGH THEIR RED LABELS! Or "Hey we're going to the range tomorow, throw some 00 in that binelli and let's hand it to some milk jugs!" Yeah, that'll happen. We can get down all around though.

Our's isn't a club, but the person first in line,... who yells "Pull",... get's first shot anytime they want, and then after that shot it's a free for all for everyone else until the clay hits the ground or explodes,..

are there rules about when to shoot? like after the clay s flung do i have to wait 1 second? or can i blast it as soon as possible?

I've never heard of a minimum rule. Yes you will get strange looks from the OU crowd. If ya get 1/2 your first time out I've been told you're doing good

Our's isn't a club, but the person first in line,... who yells "Pull",... get's first shot anytime they want, and then after that shot it's a free for all for everyone else until the clay hits the ground or explodes,..

now THAT is how you shoot clays... makes it VERY fun

We did that a a couple times, even throwing triples there wasn't much left...

post-1914-1206068602_thumb.jpg

pre-saiga days for me, so don't try to find it :cryss: course that was when I was doing better off the hip opposed to off the shoulder :rolleyes:

now THAT is how you shoot clays... makes it VERY fun

Money makes it fun!! Everyone puts money in the pot. Shooting order is picked randomly. First shooter calls for a bird. If he misses, next shooter has the option to shoot. If second shooter hits, first shooter is out. If second shooter misses, third shooter has option to shoot. If he hits, 1st and 2nd shooters, who missed are out. This can go until the bird hits the ground. A lot of what you do is based on how good the guy to your right is!

Basically, if you miss a bird and someone else breaks it, you are out. Last shooter standing walks with the money. Back in the 70's this was my way of making extra money at the clubs I worked at. We called it the porch shoot. We were at about 35 yards. A kid making $2 per hour scoring Trap looking at a pot of $30 to $50 per shoot is a motivated shooter.

• 4 weeks later...

I took my brother in law skeet shootin today. Last week we went as well and he had a higher number of hits than I did, Today he only hit 4 of about 30 clays, So excuse his french when he finally hits one.

th_CIMG1028.jpg

Edited by Superhawk138