• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Own 8.

5- 91/59's, 2- 91/30's and 1-M91. I love these old rifles and as you can tell my favorites are the 91/59's. I use only surplus ammo and have found corrosive ammo to be no problem. shoot a little Windex w/ammonia down the bore and on the bolt head to neutralize the corrosive salts , then clean as usual.

• 1 month later...

I have a Mosin Nagant carbine (M44 I think...). I've had it for a couple years and despite the addition of my Winchester M70 (.308), the Mosin is still the crowd pleaser.

The flame that comes out of the muzzle is great. Get some Wolf 200 grain ammo and you'll have the "Mosin stamp of approval" on your shoulder for days after!

Every now and then you'll have those guys at the gun range with no ear plugs. One shot from the Mosin they all cringe...

I got mine for $80. Not a scratch on it. In fact, it might not have ever been fired for all I know. Manufactured 1945. I always say it's the best $80 I ever spent...

Edited by VacuumReactor

M-44 with surplus ammo is a good time. Between sounding like a cannon and the fire ball out the muzzle, they are a definate attention getter. Seems that everyone that shoots one ends up wanting one of their own. As far as corrosive ammo, windex with amonia is the best/easiest neutralizer I've ever used.

• 4 weeks later...

I shoot a model 39 and several of the carbine length Mosins. The 39 is extremely accurate. The carbine length ones a little less so but very good for their initial intended purpose.The Mosin's bolt action is not the smoothers around when compared to that of the Mauser types. Enjoyable to shoot and the costs are not out of sight. Think you will like it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a few new rifles in the last couple of years & now I want to collect some relics.I need to get a M91/30 mosin and maybe a 44 too.I also need to get a German K98 with the marking mostly intact.I was thinking about a yugoM48 mauser as a cheaper alternative, but I don't know how much longer the German's will be avaliable, so I should get one of them first.Maybe this spring when the tax refund comes in.Do you guys know where's a good place to get these rifles?I have a dealer that will let me use his FFL.It would be nice to find somewhere around here in central NY so I can see what I'm getting.Ordering over the net kinda worries me a little, but that's probobly what I'll have to do.Does CDNN carry relics?

It's like a disease...

I have had the itch for both an M44 and a K98 Mauser myself. I mean to pick up the former in a month or so. The only thing that has kept me from getting the Mauser is the dred of having to purchase and keep up with yet another kind of ammunition. Some day. . .

Do they have the Big Five sporting goods stores where you live, stevem? They seem to always have the M44s, and generally put them on sale every other week. At any rate, at every gun show I have been to there has always been a reasonably nice amount of M44s, and at least a few Mausers. At the last show I kept eyeballing a Mauser, but fate introduced me to my first Saiga--love at first sight.

Never heard of Big five sporting goods around here.Most of the dealers around here only deal with hunting rifles and look at me like I have three eyes when I ask them to order old mil surp stuff for me.I also havn't seen a gun show here in about a year&1/2.I bought my first Saiga a gun show and so began my new addiction of collecting firearms.I just got a gun safe last weekend so now I need to get some more to fill it up properly.

Mosins are my personal addiction. I've got a M38,2-M39s,a91,2-91/30(one Tikka Finn)2-M44s and a 91/59. I have gotten in the habit of giving them as gifts as well;gave a couple at Church, my boys and my father-in law and one of my brothersand a co-worker. Paid as little as 27 and no more than $125 They are a hobby all by themselves. I've given up collecting and actually shoot those that I have. GREAT guns and a lot of fun. bikes

What kind of gun safe did you get?  I badly need to get one myself.

I got a Sentry 14 gun combination safe.It's not fireproof though.Walmart had them marked way down after Christmas- I got it for $275.(they were $369 a month earlier)What a bargain.No wonder Walmart is putting everyone out of business.

Edited by stevem
  • 2 weeks later...
:super: Yea I have a M44 carbine and love it,I can hit a 1 foot square plate at 200 yards offhand with the iron sights(set as it came) about 95% of the time,also have a Czech VZ24 with a tigerwood grain original stock and a 20 round trench mag attached-it gets the looks! i also have an Austrian M95 in 8x56r,odd caliber,no bullets to reload -.311 dia. The shell cases have the NAZI eagle and swastika on the rim and are dated 1938. Gave me the WORST bruise!! the old rifles are great and cheap.

i have an 8mm and i have to agree it pack a heck of a wallop but thats not the best part, i also have a .303 brit that my buddies father actually carried in wwII, he was brit infantry from canada, he passed away several years ago and we found the 8mm mauser in the closet. were not sure where it came from and hadnt reallly seen it before. makes us wish we spent more time talkin to the old boy about his time overseas. before he passed. we know he hasnt bought any guns since the early 70's but thats about it. alot of great history gone with a great man.

If you guys want to save yourself some $ and not want to deal with a dealer and get these at cost, why don't you get your C&R liscence. If you can pass the regular check to get a gun, you can get a C&R lisc. It cost $30 for 3 years. And the only other thing you would need to get is a bound book for the records. Plus, there are a lot of places that give you the dealer discount on things you buy from them. Midway, Brownells, Lee precission reloaders. Let me know and I can show you how to get it.

Edited by tomme boy
  • 4 weeks later...
I see windex with ammonia, what about straight ammonia?  Would that be too much to neutralize the salt?

That's a subject in which you will get as many answers as you get respondents. For the most part, salts are the leftovers, so to speak, from a reaction between an acid an a base. Some people swear by ammonia, but because ammonia is itself slightly caustic, I don't see where using it would be any better than a lot of other things in cleaning corrosive salts. In other words, there is nothing in ammonia that is going to react with the salt to make it dissolve. Probably nothing is better than warm water.

But, I'm somewhat set in my ways, so I have taken to using warmed up Windex (or similar) as soon as I finish shooting anything that I suspect might be corrosive. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the quick response. So ammonia would work simply because it's a cleaner, not because it works against the salt. Hmm... Maybe diluted ammonia would work as to not be too caustic. Ammonia and warm water cleans just about anything.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I have two m-39 VKT they were expensive compare to the Russians but

they are worth every penny you pay for one.

Here are some links you can look at.

they have finish nagants and some russians.

http://www.gunsnammo.com/

Good work on bolts and decent prices.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/Boltman/Boltman.html

Triggers for nagant and mausers and other surplus rifles

http://www.huberconcepts.com/

last but not list, if you want info on surplus rifles

this is the place to start.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/index.asp