Barrel Shroud for S12

After looking at all the pics of S12's on the pic thread, I noticed that there are no barrel shrouds on any of them. I had my shotty done by Tromix and even with all the bells and whistles, it seemed lacking of that particular evil feature- you know, that item that McCarthy had no idea what it was, but wants it banned. Well, I just had to have one to spite the anti-gun Nazis. I achieved this task at a cost of 34 bucks and a 12 pack. Is it functional- hell yes. Took it to the range not too long ago and unleashed a mag of 10 from the hip in bump fire fashion. Lucky me.....little did I know a cop was two isles down from me. After firing it, he came over asking "what in the hell is that?!!!" I didn't know what his intent was so I nervously informed him about it. I eased up realizing he was in utter shock and was only curious about it. For a minute there, I thought he was inclined to confiscate it or something. I let him shoot off a mag and man oh man, you should have seen the shit eating grin on that guys face. He looked it over afterward, and then said "Our department sure could use these."

And that was my first experience with a S12. Needless to say, I was a little shaken by the experience in more ways than one. I named her "CHAOS". She's what I call my home defense weapon.

post-7087-1205969194_thumb.jpg

post-7087-1205969286_thumb.jpg

post-7087-1205969395_thumb.jpg

post-7087-1205969693_thumb.jpg

So what cost 34 bucks,

and why did it take a 12 pack??

Curious minds want to know.,...

Hey there friend, Thanks for the info on uploading pics. The barrel shroud cost 34 shipped and as for the beer.....bribery to get the machinist where I work to fab bushing rings(one at each end of shroud) which gave the shroud a snug centered fit. I also relieved the end of the shroud so that when installed it would be flush with the halo yet allowing a gap of .070 from the gas regulator(which protrudes .10 from the halo.

Is that a paint ball shroud then??

looks like they make quite a few that are nice that might fit Saiga barrels,..

specialy if you had custom machined attachment shim rings,..

The shroud is the real deal for AR15's. The shroud is mounted via set screws into the rings. Another reason for the rings- didn't want the screws damaging the barrel.

Edited by ILstMyMarbles
Is that a paint ball shroud then??

looks like they make quite a few that are nice that might fit Saiga barrels,..

specialy if you had custom machined attachment shim rings,..

The only other shroud I could find was the Lapco paint ball shroud fashioned after the 1919 mg.

OH SHIT.....DUH? Just dawned on me what ARESV was talking about when he said "that shoulder thingy that goes up". I didn't understand what he meant by that and then I realized just now that that was a quote from McCarthy. That's it for me...been up for 14 hrs....time for Bonzo to go to bed! Later folks.

Looks good. I had the shroud idea a whle ago too.

MY Shroud

Hunter, that's what I originally envisioned when I pondered the idea of a shroud. Now I know basically how mine would have looked in that version. I like the look on yours as well. Okay, so now there are two shotty's with shrouds. I don't feel like the oddball no more. Nothing bad intended. Just cool ass company!

So what cost 34 bucks,

The barrel shroud cost 34 shipped and as for the beer.....bribery to get the machinist where I work to fab bushing rings(one at each end of shroud) which gave the shroud a snug centered fit.

I understand not wanting the set screws from the shroud digging into the barrel so how then do these bushings not mark it up either? How secure is it? and one more....Is there any play when grasped only by the shroud?

I say though..."That is a slick set up you have there!!"

Looks good. I had the shroud idea a whle ago too.

MY Shroud

Hunter, that's what I originally envisioned when I pondered the idea of a shroud. Now I know basically how mine would have looked in that version. I like the look on yours as well. Okay, so now there are two shotty's with shrouds. I don't feel like the oddball no more. Nothing bad intended. Just cool ass company!

Nothing wrong with even a meaner looking s12. I like yours as well. I just happened to be in Farm and Fleet for some farm supplies and seen that alum tubing and thought hell that looks like the right size for a shroud. Funny it worked since I bought it just guessing the size would be right.

ZOMG...that S-12 looks like its a movie prop or some shit...thats fucking radical as hell! good work fellow Saiga lover...this is giving me ideas for my build when i get one. how much did that setup end up costing you all together ILstMyMarbels?

+3 internets to you sir...

Edited by sicktooth
So what cost 34 bucks,

The barrel shroud cost 34 shipped and as for the beer.....bribery to get the machinist where I work to fab bushing rings(one at each end of shroud) which gave the shroud a snug centered fit.

I understand not wanting the set screws from the shroud digging into the barrel so how then do these bushings not mark it up either? How secure is it? and one more....Is there any play when grasped only by the shroud?

I say though..."That is a slick set up you have there!!"

Yeah, I had the bushings made out of nickel bronze with an I.D. of .885 (the O.D. of the barrel is .884). The O.D. of the bushings is .003 less than the O.D. of the barrel shroud, so they had a slip fit when inserted in the shroud. Then I cut the bushings so they were not a continuous ring. This allows for expansion when the barrel gets hot. Next, I installed the aft bushing, sliding it on the barrel to its respective position. Then I positioned the shroud onto the bushing. After doing this, I slid the forward bushing into place flush at the front of the shroud. Then I adjusted the shroud so that the slotted vents were symmetrical on the weapon. Mind you, at this point the shroud was somewhat of a snug fit. Satisfied where I had it, I then inserted a drill bit (smaller than the set screw holes) into each hole and drilled into the bushing, but only enough so that the set screws would seat themselves in to the bushings. Lastly, I installed the set screws. The set screws that came with the shroud were too long, so I purchased shorter set screws at Ace Hardware. Once installed snug, the heads were flush with the shroud. You ask how secure is it- believe me, it doesn't budge as if its part of the barrel. The bushings were made by a machinist, but if you can't get a machinist, I'm sure you could fabricate your own using aluminum tubing. As I stated earlier in this thread, I purchased the shroud thru Veriforce Tactical clicking AR15/M4, then "barrel shroud". Cost including shipping was $34.98.

The set screws cost .19 each for 6 of them. Then end result-priceless. It functioned well too. From the hip and holding onto the shroud with my left, I released those rounds and was able to prevent muzzle rise. And no gloves although it did get a little warm. I put a glove on for the next mag. Let me know if you need any clarification if you attempt this mod. It's like a horizontal jack hammer. Art

Found the site,..

http://www.veriforcetactical.com/tactical_accessories/482/

29.99 + shipping ,..I.D. 3/16"

that would be some pretty small bushings to fit a S12 barrel at about 1" d

I'll bet 1" copper pipe would work.

I'll post pics showing process and finish.

Thanks, for the link!

Edited by Gas Giant
ZOMG...that S-12 looks like its a movie prop or some shit...thats fucking radical as hell! good work fellow Saiga lover...this is giving me ideas for my build when i get one. how much did that setup end up costing you all together ILstMyMarbels?

+3 internets to you sir...

Cost breakdown for "Chaos"

Saiga 12 (RAA 109)............................................................................

...$450.00

Tromix model S05(discontinued).............................................................$1106.00

(inclusive is the Tromix comp stock/ barrel cut down to 18.0")

AR15/M4 Barrel Shroud( Veriforce Tactical ).............................................$35.00

Eotech 512 sight( CTD item # scp-512)....................................................$410.00

Laser with pressure pad( CTD item #scp-026 ).........................................$90.00

Vertical grip( CTD item #17981 ).............................................................$37.00

Sling attach./rail mount( CTD item #ARR-920 ).........................................$25.00

PLS1 Light mount( Mako Security )...........................................................$48.00

Surfire 6P Defender( Optic Planet )..........................................................$74.00

MD Drum( yes, it has one coming as I grit my teeth patiently )...................$188.00

________

TOTAL: $2463.00

I went into detail as I honestly never figured the overall cost of my baby. I think I'm going to faint. My wife is a true gem-she was with me on the whole project. And she pre-ordered two more for me. One for a second project and one to sell later on if the ban looks eminent, for a profit. I think I love her more than I thought.

She must know Boys like their toys!

Has anyone seen these yet?

I thought they looked kinda plain but a nice concept,..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=009

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=017

thoughts any one??

I am not trying to hi-jack your thread here, just thought these were cool,..

I went into detail as I honestly never figured the overall cost of my baby. I think I'm going to faint. My wife is a true gem-she was with me on the whole project. And she pre-ordered two more for me. One for a second project and one to sell later on if the ban looks eminent, for a profit. I think I love her more than I thought.

Checked out those items. I dont know- I wanted a vertical that folds. As for the laser, green is good. I already had the red laser ordered and then I found one (green) on Sportsmansguide.com I liked for about the same price. Maybe later I'll get one.

Oh, by the way, check out this new weapon on the rifle thread other than AK. I'll be posting a youtube that you have to check out.

Edited by ILstMyMarbles