Saiga .308 16" adequate for Elk?

I've been searching, and it seems that the consensus is that the 16" .308 loses a couple hundred fps compared to a 22" .308.

Would this still be adequate for Elk out to 200 yards?

thx-Chris

I can not speak for other states but in Colorado a .243 is the lowest diameter bullet that Elk can be hunted with. With that said some hunt with the .243, but the vast majority go with larger rounds (larger as in both diameter of bullet and in case capacity. The .308 is of the same case capacity as the .243). When hunting these large animals with these "smaller" rounds hunters typically go with heavier weight bullets and in weapons that have better accuracy, and wait for closer shots, and only take a broad side shot. So from your questions I am taking it that your concern is that at 16" looses too much velocity vs a 22" for elk? -The 16" .308 can kill elk at 200 yards. Can your Saiga group well enough for the viatals of a elk, with a heavier weight bullet (or maybe more importantly can you shoot your Saiga that well?)?

I am not sure what state you are in but if you are in a non-Elk state and have to pay for an out of state tag (over $400 in Colorado) and go through a guide service (can run several $1000s out here), plus airfair, transportation, meals, vacation time from work.... Anyway you get the idea, this is often a once in a life time hunt, I would spend an extra $700 on a Remington 700 and increase your chances of success on your hunt.

Edited by Longhunter-CO
I've been searching, and it seems that the consensus is that the 16" .308 loses a couple hundred fps compared to a 22" .308.

thx-Chris

I can not speak for other states but in Colorado a .243 is the lowest diameter bullet that Elk can be hunted with. With that said some hunt with the .243, but the vast majority go with larger rounds (larger as in both diameter of bullet and in case capacity. The .308 is of the same case capacity as the .243). When hunting these large animals with these "smaller" rounds hunters typically go with heavier weight bullets and in weapons that have better accuracy, and wait for closer shots, and only take a broad side shot. So from your questions I am taking it that your concern is that at 16" looses too much velocity vs a 22" for elk? -The 16" .308 can kill elk at 200 yards. Can your Saiga group well enough for the viatals of a elk, with a heavier weight bullet (or maybe more importantly can you shoot your Saiga that well?)?

I am not sure what state you are in but if you are in a non-Elk state and have to pay for an out of state tag (over $400 in Colorado) and go through a guide service (can run several $1000s out here), plus airfair, transportation, meals, vacation time from work.... Anyway you get the idea, this is often a once in a life time hunt, I would spend an extra $700 on a Remington 700 and increase your chances of success on your hunt.

Thanks for the resonse. I live in Boulder and I'm thinking of trying hunting on my own next year on the cheap. You make a good point regarding the accuracy of the Saiga at 200 yds, as well as my ability to hit with it. I hunted in AL growing up and never took a shot over 100 yds (and don't plan on it out here) but everyone I talk to says I need to be prepared for 200-300 yard shots. :cryss:

thx-Chris

Thanks for the resonse. I live in Boulder and I'm thinking of trying hunting on my own next year on the cheap. You make a good point regarding the accuracy of the Saiga at 200 yds, as well as my ability to hit with it. I hunted in AL growing up and never took a shot over 100 yds (and don't plan on it out here) but everyone I talk to says I need to be prepared for 200-300 yard shots. :cryss:

Well if you are out here then that changes a couple of things. You have time to stalk game pre-season scope out serveral different areas and help to increase your chances of sucess by picking a well traveled area to get that close up broadside shot. With that said you still have to practice for that 200 yard shot with a bunch of different the heavy weight bullets find out what groups best. All in all there are a bunch of used bolt guns out here that will increase your chances of sucess. If you are planning on hunting out here regularly I would invest in a light weight bolt gun. You could look for a .308 so that you would have ammo interchangability with your Saiga.

I know where your though process is on this my first rifle season I hunter with a M1 Garand!

Edited by Longhunter-CO

thx-Chris

Well if you are out here then that changes a couple of things. You have time to stalk game pre-season scope out serveral different areas and help to increase your chances of sucess by picking a well traveled area to get that close up broadside shot. With that said you still have to practice for that 200 yard shot with a bunch of different the heavy weight bullets find out what groups best. All in all there are a bunch of used bolt guns out here that will increase your chances of sucess. If you are planning on hunting out here regularly I would invest in a light weight bolt gun. You could look for a .308 so that you would have ammo interchangability with your Saiga.

I know where your though process is on this my first rifle season I hunter with a M1 Garand!

I killed my first elk when I was 12 with a ruger 243 one shot at 75yds . It only ran 30 ft. I am a bow hunter now so it's all about shot placement and waiting for the perfect shot. Also my brother killed a bull with a 7mm slug healed over in the front sholder had been ther for a couple of years. In my opinion 200 is the max range for 308 with a perfect shot.

I hunt up north of Hayden at about 8500-9500 feet, below the tree line. The best shots I've even considered were all less than 200 yards due to foliage and conditions. We usually get one at first light fairly close 75-125 yards. Its been my experience that the longer shots come later in the day with straglers or cows seperated from the herds. We mostly still hunt, in place well before legal light for shooting.

Your 308 will do just fine as long as you can put it within 3-4 inches on paper at the range at 200 yards. It has enough power at 100 or 200 yards, I would stick to a 165+ grain bullet in 308 for elk though.