???ARE THUMB HOLE STOCKS 922r COMPLIANT???

???ARE THUMB HOLE STOCKS 922r COMPLIANT???

iv been told they are no longer considered sporting and they are considered pistol grips. so that fucks everything up on my Saigunov conversion if true. can someone confirm or dis spell this please?

Some are... Some aren't.

It depends...

If it is U.S. made - YES.

If not... NO.

If you want to use Surefire .308 Hi-Cap mags, that or a gas piston will work. If you want the Hi-Cap mags and a bayo lug or flash hider, you need to add more U.S. made parts. If you want the full range of whats availble, add at least 6 U.S. parts and you'll be fine - as far as compliance.

Macbeau sends...

Some are... Some aren't.

It depends...

If it is U.S. made - YES.

If not... NO.

If you want to use Surefire .308 Hi-Cap mags, that or a gas piston will work. If you want the Hi-Cap mags and a bayo lug or flash hider, you need to add more U.S. made parts. If you want the full range of whats availble, add at least 6 U.S. parts and you'll be fine - as far as compliance.

Macbeau sends...

so this is non compliant and i will need 6 US parts then correct?

post-5645-1206663168_thumb.jpg

I doubt that thumbhole stocks are considered an evil feature. Take a look at Romanian PSL's. They're made entirely overseas and last I checked, they're still being imported and sold with no compliance parts at all. The new Saiga V21 is also made entirely overseas and also has a thumbhole stock.

What you're doing is recreating a PSL. As long as you avoid the high cap mags and properly attach your brake, there shouldn't be any question of compliance.

I doubt that thumbhole stocks are considered an evil feature. Take a look at Romanian PSL's. They're made entirely overseas and last I checked, they're still being imported and sold with no compliance parts at all. The new Saiga V21 is also made entirely overseas and also has a thumbhole stock.

What you're doing is recreating a PSL. As long as you avoid the high cap mags and properly attach your brake, there shouldn't be any question of compliance.

The PSL is incapable of taking a 'high cap magazine'. The OPs project rifle cannot say the same.

If being capable of loading a high capacity mag determined 925d compliance, then ALL Saiga's without US parts would be illegal.

He can load a high cap mag into his unconverted rifle as well, but his rifle's not in violation of 922r until he actually inserts the magazine into the rifle. Same deal with his conversion. It still has no evil features and if he sticks with low cap mags compliance is not even an issue.

Even if he does choose to use high cap mags though, he's still OK. He's got 3 US trigger parts and when you throw in the 3 parts in a Surefire he meets the parts count.

There are plenty of thumbhole Saigas being sold as well. The V21 for example, as well as the ones with the rotating cheekpieces.

My own opinion is that the letter in the link bears no force of law and is merely the opinion of an ATF agent. He gave a conservative answer that is guaranteed not to get anyone in any trouble.

There are plenty of thumbhole Saigas being sold as well. The V21 for example, as well as the ones with the rotating cheekpieces.

My own opinion is that the letter in the link bears no force of law and is merely the opinion of an ATF agent. He gave a conservative answer that is guaranteed not to get anyone in any trouble.

Agreed. My understanding of the letters are that they are only good if the atf says that you can do something in a letter and then latter says that your rifle is uncomplient. And to my knowledge that hasn't ever been tested anyway, but for them to alow import of a thumbhole stock model such as saiga ver21 pretty much says that they are ok as long as other "evil" features are not added. example if you put a high cap magazine into your gun or a flash hider on. These laws are stupid and hard to understand, that is probably why no one has gotten in trouble for it anyway. besides if you stamp made in the USA onto it How can they prove that it wasn't or that you were not misslead by the seller.

I'm pretty sure ATF has changed their mind on T-hole stocked Saigas. However, YMMV, and someone should write ATF, reference my letter and ask for clarification.

Larry

Be interesting to see the response from them.