new possible saiga owner from socal says hi

hey guys this is my first post here. im really interested in the saiga 7.62 and looking for other cali owners to help me find some socal friendly dealers and FLLs. ive been loitering around this forum for a while and will be at the costa mesta show this weekend and hopefully find someone to deal with, any recommendations? thanks again

i thought id add to give you some info on what i want to do with this rifle. I plan on leaving it in stock configuration, i dont want the extra hassles of having it look even more illegal. the only thing i would do is make it take regular ak mags. If i do this with out changing anythink else its still 100% legal right? no need to get some usa points? This will be my home defense/shtf gun.

Please go to the Tech Section: Saiga 922r Compliance / THE LAW

With "American" built magazines, you are one part short of 922r compliance. With foreign built magazines you are, hey, wait a second, in California, you ain't allowed more than 10 round magazines,

Be careful.

hey guys this is my first post here. im really interested in the saiga 7.62 and looking for other cali owners to help me find some socal friendly dealers and FLLs. ive been loitering around this forum for a while and will be at the costa mesta show this weekend and hopefully find someone to deal with, any recommendations? thanks again

Hey Crunchy,

Where in Cali. Are you? I am in San Diego. I am also interested in getting a Saiga, but I am having a hard time finding a FFL that will bring them in. I found a guy in Vista, Ca. and a guy in Utah that I can buy one from. Does anyone have experience with a good shop to buy from that will ship to Cali.?

Hey Crunchy,

Where in Cali. Are you? I am in San Diego. I am also interested in getting a Saiga, but I am having a hard time finding a FFL that will bring them in. I found a guy in Vista, Ca. and a guy in Utah that I can buy one from. Does anyone have experience with a good shop to buy from that will ship to Cali.?

Hi Guys. I'm a new member from CA also. I just ordered a Saiga x39 from DDs Ranch. If you contact him, he can give you a list of FFLs in your area that he can ship to.

You can also check out Coldwarshooters (Highland, CA) and J&J Armory (Santa Ana, CA) and see if they have any in stock. I believe both vendors will be at the Costa Mesa gun show tomorrow.

As you may already know, the PRK is one of the strictest states when in comes to gun ownership so I would invite you to also check out the calguns.net forums where other POWs in the PRK congregate.

Please go to the Tech Section: Saiga 922r Compliance / THE LAW

With "American" built magazines, you are one part short of 922r compliance. With foreign built magazines you are, hey, wait a second, in California, you ain't allowed more than 10 round magazines,

Be careful.

If your not from Kali please !!! dont spread falseties about our laws. you can have mags with capicities higher than 10 rounds you just have to have the right configuration and have purchased those mags before 2000. :rolleyes:

Edited by girmper

hey guys thanks for the replies. im located in burbank, CA. I WILL be at the costa mesa show tomorrow! thanx for telling me what vendors to look for.

i know ddsranch is having a sale right now, go to calguns, register, and look at the vendors forum. ill shoot them an email to get that list and make some calls. hopefully i find some good people at the show.

www.calguns.net

http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/gunsched.htm

hey duke if you plan on going ill be there on sat!

ok update, So i went to the gun show on sat. i visited the cold war shooters table and finally got to hold on in my hands. they felt great and not as heavy as i expected. But then i saw the price...350 for the 20 and 370 for the 16. I asked for out the door and they said around 450+. i walked away very sad...

also in my quest to finda fll willing to do transfer i found that people that can special order are charging upwards of 450 or charging 100$ for the transfer. one dealer conversation went like this:

1. hello, im calling to see if you have any saigas in stock?

2. no we dont they are illegal.

1. really?

2. yes we know you saw them at the gun show but they are illegal, we know because we called the cali dept of justice and they told us so. Otherwise we would have a crap load of them our selfs.

1. wow because i did just go to the gunshow and saw a couple of them.

2.yea thats cause they did not have any dros employees there, you might be able to buy one but as soon as they know about it its bye bye gun.

1....sigh

2. yea trust me we would be selling them like crazy if we could.

1. ok thanks bye

so yea either they are not willing or charge up the wazoo...

anyone have a proven, not overcharged way of getting one in socal?

ok update, So i went to the gun show on sat. i visited the cold war shooters table and finally got to hold on in my hands. they felt great and not as heavy as i expected. But then i saw the price...350 for the 20 and 370 for the 16. I asked for out the door and they said around 450+. i walked away very sad...

also in my quest to finda fll willing to do transfer i found that people that can special order are charging upwards of 450 or charging 100$ for the transfer. one dealer conversation went like this:

1. really?

2. yes we know you saw them at the gun show but they are illegal, we know because we called the cali dept of justice and they told us so. Otherwise we would have a crap load of them our selfs.

2.yea thats cause they did not have any dros employees there, you might be able to buy one but as soon as they know about it its bye bye gun.

1....sigh

1. ok thanks bye

$100 for a transfer?????? That's ridiculous. There's gotta be another FFL near you that won't rape you on fees. Check here, it's the Gunbroker FFL listing. I'm sure you can find one in your area that is reasonable.

http://www.gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp

thanks but i went through that list and got down the numbers specifically by price and location. The ones that were cheap (50) aren't willing to do it. others that were in my area with higher fees still wouldn't do it. Yea that 100$ place was the only one willing to do it!... i guess ima end up driving 2 hours to the cold war shooters store. I just checked the site and the price online is less than what i saw at the show. Hopefully since i would be picking it up the out the door price would be cheaper. thanks again for the replies.

Would it be legal for you to buy one on Gunbroker and have it shipped to, say, a Neighboring state and pick it up there? Just a thought,..,.......

Not legal. The rifle must be dros'd (direct record of sale) with a california ffl.

Crunchy, good luck to you, and shop around a little more to find a cheaper dealer. I wish i could help you out but i'm up north and do not have a lot of knowledge of "cheap" ffl's in your area. Snoop around CalGuns.net. They have a list of dealers and their pricing.

Also, don't for for the FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) from scared businesses. I shoot side by side with correctional officers, chp, sac pd, sac sherriffs, and not only do they not arrest me.. they love shooting it, and at least 2 of them are getting their own.

Edited by Res

jeez what is this world coming to or should i say country !! people are so scared of "assault rifles''. Shotguns can reak more havoc if you think about it. arrrgh I can't take it...what's the dillio between one 30 round clip and three 10 rounders

jeez what is this world coming to or should i say country !! people are so scared of "assault rifles''. Shotguns can reak more havoc if you think about it. arrrgh I can't take it...what's the dillio between one 30 round clip and three 10 rounders

I don't know if I've ever seen a 30 round clip. They usually come in 10 rounds, or at least all the ones I've seen were that way. Either way, you could always use the 10 round clips to load a 30 round magazine. You'd just have to use 3 of them. BTW, most of us call them stripper clips. It gets a little confusing sometimes.

hey sound wave thank you very much for the info i just emailed everyone you told me to. Now my list of emailed people is 11 and called 4. hopefully ill get lucky. Im getting very frustrated but i know that it will pay off. Also on a side note, once i do get it what kind of documents should i carry with me? just in case? i KNOW i WILL get my hands on one so just planning ahead. Again thank you for all the replies.

1. really?

1....sigh

1. ok thanks bye

Unbelievable! I just bought my last Saiga from CWS out the door for 279 one year ago! I cant beleive they are taking advantage of you/us like that. I am sorry I ever referred them! This is getting ridicluious. RAA Saigas are prefectly leagal in california its the Kalish USAs that are not. I love how these morons interpt the law. They are losing their own potential buisiness. Well crunchy I suggest you try J&J arms or ammo bros they are fair and wont try and ream you also they understand 922r and SB 23. good luck

ive emailed both of them and many others but no replies... they must be busy. Tomorrow ima sit here and call all of them one after another and get some real answers. dont worry guys when i find good stuff ill let you know my findings

i like it. matches your other stuff. What do you hold in your bob? also if your bugging out how will you carry your rifle? Unless your going straight into a forest or something id say try to hide the rifle.

Also for a update!

I finally found a dealer willing to transfer. They are Fort courage Armory located in simi valley. I extremely recommend them. Tim(owner) is super nice and polite. He charges 50 for transfer + 25 Dros for the first three guns! That is the cheapest ive seen in my area, alot of the dealers listed on gunbroker are not updated so the seem to charge more than advertise. I was all ready to make my order at classic arms but they just ran out of stock!!! ARGGGGG!! So now im waiting an extra week for them to get some back. In the end if the price doesn't go up ill be paying around 350 OTD for mine. Now i just have to sit on my hands and wait.