Friendly warning to all who don't know...again

POST UPDATED:

If you read this before, forget about it. I had a panic attack and thought I was Chicken Little for awhile. Explanation is as follows:

To tell y'all the truth, I use recoil buffers in most of my AKs, and it seems that my .223 and x39 guns don't seem to really need a recoil buffer. But they probably wouldn't suffer from having I thin one to suck up the slop of the bolt carrier. And now that I think of it logically, if you do want to test your gun, like its been said before, try putting some masking tape on the rear trunnion and firing it. If its obvious that the bolt carrier is hitting the rear trunnion, try replacing the recoil spring, or try getting a thin recoil buffer like the ones from BlackJack. Or do both! Get a new spring, AND a BlackJack buffer. I've always run the thin BlackJack green ones. They're affordable, and hey, it stimulates the economy!

In fact, after going over all my guns, I realize that I've never used a recoil buffer in my Saiga-12, but it's the one gun I own that needs one the most. I've run every kind of bird shot, buck shot and slug through that baby, and after actually looking at the rear trunnion compared to my other guns, it looks like I took a roofing hammer to it. Even the rear trunnion on my old SAR-1 that's had 10,000+ rounds through it doesn't look as bad. So, I'll be putting a buffer in my '12, and I'd deffinitely recommend a buffer for your Saiga 12, or your 20 or 410.

As far as being wary of the rear trunnion comming apart because of an extra quarter-inch of soft rubber between the back of the gun and the bolt carrier, forget about it! These rifles are made it RUSSIA, with hard Russian steel. Have you looked at the rear trunnion of your Saigas lately? Look at the thickness of the receiver. Now look at the rivets that go through the reciver and into the rear trunnion, holding it in place. Those damn rivets are pounded in there so tight, they make that heavy Russian steel bend inward toward the center of the rivet. Now that is solid construction. That is a Kalashnikov. These rifles were made by Izhmash, for Chrissakes! You might expect rivets to pop out and shear off in some poopy Romanian rifle, but not these. These rifles are solid Russian weaponry.

So, in essence, this is what my original post should have been about, sifting the truth out of the bullshit, and coming to a logical and educated conclusion about recoil buffers:

1.) Recoil buffers definitely help in a Saiga 12, 20 or 410.

2.) They do not help any in an HK91/G3/CETME (Those aren't even AKs, but thanks anyway for the info nalioth).

3.) In every other AK-based rifle, it is a personal preference. Some rifles will need 'em, some may not. Its all up to you.

Sorry for creating any unwanted panic or stress, and thanks for suffering through this episode of "The Sky Is Falling," starring Maniac Jack.

Edited by Maniac Jack