How important is the BHO to you?

Just bought a used converted 223 in which the previous owner didn't re-install the BHO (the seller is including the BHO if I want to install it). The 223 should arrive in a few weeks. I'm pretty busy (ok...lazy) and debating if I should re-install the BHO or just leave it as is.

About how long does it take to re-install the BHO? Do you feel the time spend is worth it to have a working BHO?

Is the BHO of the Saiga that "great" of a feature? The BHO's main purpose, to me, is indicating that you're out of ammo (my understanding is the BHO does not hold the bolt open once the mag is removed). I guess that's a good feature if your expecting a lot of zombies and need to keep changing mags......I'm only planning on buying 2-3 30rounder mags.

My understanding is that normal AK's don't have a BHO.

The purpose of the 223 is self defense/protecting home in case a hurricane like Katrina hits where we live. The 223 will be a secondary to 9mm handguns (G17-L, P95-DC) and will probably never be used for its purpose....SHTF.

Thanks in advance!

I did the conversion last year and did not reinstall the BHO. Out of boredom one night this winter, I cold-blued the BHO and reinstalled it. I didn't like it very much. My finger would hit it when I squeezed the trigger, so out it came again for good! It would also be in the way if you like to "bump fire" occasionally.

The BHO on the Saiga does not hold the bolt open on the last round even with a mag in. That is a function of the follower on some magazines. Apparently the BHO is required at some ranges and certain competitions for safety purposes.

To reinstall it and have full function of your rifle, I believe some metal needs to be removed from the hammer since you have added another part to the mechanism. You will not be able to lock the pin which runs through the hammer unless the hammer is modified. It's not worth the hassle if you ask me.

Edited by pogy

I grind the portion that sits out of the receiver (for you to engage it) as far down as possible, to when it's engaged, it's almost totally inside the receiver, but out far enough not to hop up too far and lose the spring. I then polish it with a dremmel, and round off the edges. MUCH less intrusive that way, but still functional.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the idea off of here from someone else. All i did was to dremel out a notch in the safety, so that you can hold the bolt back with the safety up. Took about 30 seconds, and works fine. I need it for the range i got to, they get a little aggro if your bolt is closed on a "cold" line. All you need to do is pull the bolt back with the safety almost up and mark it, then whack a small section out.

If you need to travel with your firearm it is best to have the bolt locked open while in transit, in case you have to show a LEO your vehicle for *whatever reason* it just makes them a little less stressed when they can CLEARLY SEE the open action... This of course can also be accomplished with a stick through it too... so it can be a moot point.

As mentioned above some ranges require a BHO when not actually shooting... again, this can be accomplished with a stick through the action and out the magwell.

personally, I like the bho INSTALLED. It WILL work without a mag in place, as it is a separate function not linked with the magazine presence.

It is very likely that since your rifle is converted the trigger pivot bushing section will be as wide as the interior of the receiver to prevent sideways shift, in which case, as mentioned above, some of the right side of the hammer bushing must be removed. Actually, the same amount must be removed, as the thickness of the bho, plus a TEENY bit more so it mooves freely... It will take about 5 minutes to install *IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING*. If not... it could take you all night. LOL

:smoke:

One of my ranges is anal about open bolts but when I converted my Saiga I left out the BHO, started using one of these and no one has said anything about it:

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/produ...productid=16393

I tried the BHO with my old hammer and found that the BHO was in the way too much and might even cut your finger in live fire.

Edited by Willie D
If you need to travel with your firearm it is best to have the bolt locked open while in transit, in case you have to show a LEO your vehicle for *whatever reason* it just makes them a little less stressed when they can CLEARLY SEE the open action... This of course can also be accomplished with a stick through it too... so it can be a moot point.

I've honestly never had to worry about this. Prior to last September, it was fine to carry a loaded long gun around with you almost anywhere you wanted to go in Texas. Since last September, you can have any loaded firearm with you in your vehicle. In a holster, across the dashboard, in the glovebox or map pocket or coat pocket, wherever (handguns must be concealed).

P.S. I'd think the LEO would be more comfortable so long as nobodies hands were near any firearms. Unlike what some antigunners think, firearms don't go off by themselves.

Edited by nalioth