Some good software to have and use

I glanced through the posts and didn't see Malwarebytes or Avast anywhere (might have missed them). I use both of these on a regular basis in my shop. They go on every system i refurb and usually on customers systems if they want good free protection. Just a note guys..if you get in a jam with your hard drive, I do pretty extensive data recovery

Edited by haujo62
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry dude, I had to make an edit in your statement.   Open source software is free (as in beer and freedom) and isn't a "broken down version" of anything.   There are many software packages for W

I'm afraid you need to learn to write.   This thread is called "Some good software to have and use" and has covered many different types of software - not just antivirus or security software for Win

Google Chrome IS spyware.

Target, Spammer in the open. FIRE FOR EFFECT!

where you referring to me?..if so, you are incorrect...I run a legit business..didn't mean to "advertise"...actually was offering to do data recovery for members of this forum for NO cost.....

The offensive post has been removed - but, if the shoe fits. . .

Diamondback, please do not respond to spammers in the actual threads - just hit the "report" button and report them.

Target, Spammer in the open. FIRE FOR EFFECT!

where you referring to me?..if so, you are incorrect...I run a legit business..didn't mean to "advertise"...actually was offering to do data recovery for members of this forum for NO cost.....

The offensive post has been removed - but, if the shoe fits. . .

AM I missing something here??? IF you guys think I am some kind of scammer looking for a chance to make a buck you are wrong..THE SHOE DOES NOT FIT...forgive me but I tend to get upset when someone questions my integrity.....if someone want to "verify" what I do, PM me and I will give you whatever info you want..you can check me out..jeez just trying to support the forum in the best way I can

Diamondback, please do not respond to spammers in the actual threads - just hit the "report" button and report them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Although this is a good write up and that thread is old but I have to add, any SW that is free is a broken down version of the original and does not work as efficient as the full paid versions, hence the statement you get what you pay for.....

Go to eBay and you can get a full version of the security SW you want for half or less the original price......

I buy bitdefender Internet Security 2010 for $25 and it allows me to install on 3 PC's with a 2 year subscription - normal price $89

I am a computer expert with over 30 years in the technology field, I started out with mono processors then mainframes and started to work with PC's in 1989...........

Although this is a good write up and that thread is old but I have to add, any WINDOWS SW that is free is a broken down version of the original and does not work as efficient as the full paid versions, hence the statement you get what you pay for.....

Go to eBay and you can get a full version of the security SW you want for half or less the original price......

I buy bitdefender Internet Security 2010 for $25 and it allows me to install on 3 PC's with a 2 year subscription - normal price $89

I am a computer expert with over 30 years in the technology field, I started out with mono processors then mainframes and started to work with PC's in 1989...........

Sorry dude, I had to make an edit in your statement.

Open source software is free (as in beer and freedom) and isn't a "broken down version" of anything.

There are many software packages for Windows that are "free software" that are full-featured and not "broken down versions" of anything, as well.

For a "computer expert", you're amazingly short-sighted.

Edited by nalioth
  • Like 1

Open source software is free (as in beer and freedom) and isn't a "broken down version" of anything.

There are many software packages for Windows that are "free software" that are full-featured and not "broken down versions" of anything, as well.

DUDE!!! If you would have read all of the posts here you would SEE that they are talking about ANTI-VIRUS programs no other, and ANY ANTI-VIRUS program that is free IS a broken down version!!!!! So pay attention......

For a computer expert I am very well versed in anti-virus programs........ So no need to edit or fix anything you just need to learn to read........

;)

DUDE!!! If you would have read all of the posts here you would SEE that they are talking about ANTI-VIRUS programs no other, and ANY ANTI-VIRUS program that is free IS a broken down version!!!!! So pay attention......

For a computer expert I am very well versed in anti-virus programs........ So no need to edit or fix anything you just need to learn to read........

;)

I'm afraid you need to learn to write.

This thread is called "Some good software to have and use" and has covered many different types of software - not just antivirus or security software for Windows.

You did not quote anyone, nor did you specifically bring up whatever you were talking about in your original paragraphs, so who was to know what the hell you were talking about?

Edited by nalioth
  • Like 1

This thread is called "Some good software to have and use" and has covered many different types of software - not just antivirus or security software for Windows.

You did not quote anyone, nor did you specifically bring up whatever you were talking about in your original paragraphs, so who was to know what the hell you were talking about?

Read my post again, you'll catch on, you seem to be an intelligent person..... Here is a hint for you, the first few words....

Read my post again, you'll catch on, you seem to be an intelligent person..... Here is a hint for you, the first few words....

You know, I'm just ashamed I have to do this. I expect you're at least 45, judging from your boasting, and should have had a better education than the kids today get.

Let's break it down:

Although this is a good write up and that thread is old but I have to add, any SW that is free is a broken down version of the original and does not work as efficient as the full paid versions, hence the statement you get what you pay for.....

1) What, exactly is the "good write up" you are referring to? Those are the "first few words". Those "first few words" don't have anything to do with post #71 or post #70 or any of the preceding dozen posts before your post. How the f*** do you expect us to connect your contextless response to any of 70 other posts in this thread?

"Security SW" for windows can be dozens of different types of software.

Good for you. Is this sentence supposed to be related to the previous one? If so, why is it separated from it?

Do you want a gold star or something? Was your 30 years spent building cabinets or something in this "technology field", or did you operate a John Deere tractor for Monsanto?

Bottom line: If you respond in a "general discussion" thread, please quote what it is that you are responding to. That way, when we read what you write, we won't have to wonder what the hell you're talking about. Thanks.

Bottom line: If you respond in a "general discussion" thread, please quote what it is that you are responding to. That way, when we read what you write, we won't have to wonder what the hell you're talking about. Thanks.

It is way above you, not worth my time..... If you had a bit of since you would know that it always leads back to the OP (in case you do not know what OP is - Original Poster) post....

Are you catching on yet???? This is what this thread is all about? Or have you changed the topic and started your own within this thread? LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Thats why I use Ubuntu (10.04)on my laptop. My PC is windows xp pro, and never had one virus or malware/spyware issues. The only thing I use is Advanced system care 3 to wipe all my internet history/cookies. works like a charm and has a free defragger that works 10x better than windows defragger.

• 1 month later...

As I was puttering and lurking around the forums I found this thread (and even though the last post was awhile ago I figured I might as well make my recommendations since I don't see em here), and boy was I laughing when I saw some of the suggestions :lolol:

But then I saw the post dates and realized its all good BUT there are better things out there now.

As a sysadmin for my computer science department, and a computer repair technician, Microsoft Security Essentials (free from microsoft) gets my vote for best antivirus for several reasons.

First, its free, with no gimped version like some companies that if you want good protection, you gotta buy it.

Second, its fairly unobtrusive, and does not take up alot of memory.

Third, good detection rates, although compared to a few other AV programs it scans a bit slower.

As for generic spyware/malware, I have seen that malwarebytes is quite effective at everything I have thrown at it (There is a paid version, but the free does everything any regular person should need)

But as I tell my friends and clients, nothing beats common sense. I know funny_cat_movie.mpg.jpg.exe looks mighty tempting to some, but its best to leave it alone. :P

Microsoft Security Essentials (free from microsoft) gets my vote for best antivirus for several reasons.

First, its free, with no gimped version like some companies that if you want good protection, you gotta buy it.

First: TANSTAAFL

Second: Do you really trust Microsoft to produce a firewall/antivirus/whatever-the-hell-else-it-does that works when they can't even produce an OS that works like it's supposed to?

Also remember that Windows has been caught several times sending info home to Redmond without the owner's authorization or knowledge. Microsoft's response "We store it under the user's MAC address (Nalioth says: this is the number assigned to your network card - each is unique), so we really don't know who anyone is."

fox_in_hen_house.jpg

Do you honestly think that their "security program" is going to get in the way of their data collection?

Edited by nalioth
First: TANSTAAFL

If your location did not say texas or this was not a gun forum, I would swear I know you in real life as one of my instructors.

Now, looking through some past posts, you claim(ed) you have never had to run windows, if it was not for my love of video games, I would love to have that luxury. All things considered, I stand by my statement. One of the situations I believe you are referring to is the data WAT (Windows Activation Technology, takes note of several things like hardware when you activate your windows product with your key) Now, I will not claim to be an expert on what information you think Microsoft is harvesting from their users, nor do I condone it as I am huge fan of fulldisclosure and open source software. Regardless, I don't believe you can claim windows (specifically win7) is a terrible OS (I assume that is what you are implying) without actually trying it. No OS is without flaws, but I think 7 deserves a bit more credit than you give it (now if you are talking about vista and earlier, forgive me, I agree 100% with you).

Now, say your information is stored by your mac (which is a unique ID (not a number, hex has letters) assigned to your card) Now, if it was not unique you could come across all sorts of network problems as your MAC is one of the key things that assists in the routing of your information, as well as receiving IP's via DHCP (the automatic method most home routers are set up to use by default) Unless you decide to go march over to Microsoft's HQ, connect to their wifi and have your computer name correspond somehow to the information they have on file, it is almost impossible for that information to be associated with you. (this assumes no other personal information was "harvested" of course)

Finally:

Do you honestly think that their "security program" is going to get in the way of their data collection?

This could be said for every AV out there, if say norton or AVG decides they want a program to run freely, they will simply remove signatures of that program from their virus definition lists. That is why its critical you trust whatever AV you decide to use, some are better than others, but if you strongly believe the virus definitions of your AV are compromised by the software provider so they are not in your best interest, its time to find another AV.

As I said in my previous post, common sense is really the best AV out there, and anything else should just be if you slip up or experience some sort of exploit common sense cannot prevent, thats where you hope your AV is good enough for the task.

Now, I am always delighted to meet other technology lovers, but from looking at this thread, debate seems like its best suited for PM's.

-Niff

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I would strongely recommend Avast as a preventative and if you have a pre-existing issue go into Safe Mode and install and run MalwareBytes. More importantant then the software you use would be to ensure all microsoft products are up to date and anything like Itunes, Adobe products and really anything else that prompts you to update and you know what it is and think it should be on your system then make sure it stays patched.

Edited by jnelson228

Bitdefender does not cut it in my world and there is a Rogue Malware Security suite package called Internet Security so if you are referring to something else then I would be more specific.

Edited by jnelson228
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have tried avast, the trend micro etc and they haven't found a redirect virus on my xp laptop. So, plan on dual booting linux tonight, but when it comes time to delete ms, and transfer files, do I have to worry about corrupting the memory of the xfer device? only plan on moving pics and documents I created...

• 2 months later...

On the software issue, for the sake of clarity I will use a saiga-12ga

for the point of comparison!

Your dead on target and it locks up. Locks up so bad you can not open to load

it. Locks up on the first round.

After a day at the range and a hundred dead-on targets you tell your best friend

and boss to go ahead and try the best 12ga in the world and he pulls the trigger

and "lockup".

It turn blue and starts to rust. Ever person that comes by know what you got and

tries to steel some of it or worse yet fix it so you can't use it yourself. You

Keep it behind a firewall so heavy that even you can't shoot it either.

Who would put up with that>!

Me, myself and I. I started with windowz 3.0. After reinstalling windowz 98se

over fifteen times(after about eight installs I started naming each install the

number of the install, and I had reached fifteen installs.) then I ask myself

"whats wrong with this picture?". I came up with a answer and did it, and have

never...... never looked back.

I went to Linux. Oh yes, it took me awhile to learn it back then and I'm still

learning but it has changed big time and is a lot easier now to get into. I'm

using Ubuntu 10.10 and I love it.

This is what it cost me: I voluntarily pay for it at a cost of $40 buck. 20 for

my pc and 20 for my wifes pc. Most people pay nothing but I want to support

those who keep it going. We have the ad and spy wared also, but never use it. I

run a firewall behind a server. I spend 99% of my time using my pc for what it

was intended to be used for not for working on it, trying to get it to run or

cleaning the ad and spy-ware with some program that don't clean all the crap

when it cleans.

Oh, and don't even mention that sorry registry. Days into weeks working on that

black hole line by line!

If there is something you can do in windowz that I can't do in Ubuntu I haven't

heard about it yet! I got openoffice that loaded all my windowz' office files

first try and it did not cost me a dime extra. Like I know I paid several

hundred for office 98 on windows.

Granted, you will have to put in the time to learn the flavor you pick just

like you had to put in the time to learn windowz. It will be strange at first.

Think of it as a new kind of girlfriend who will actually save you money,

headaches and get you almost all you want, nothing I know of will get your all

that you want not even money! Oh, I heard that one. No, you can not buy back

your youth!

Getting help has been easier too. All flavors of Linus have a forum and it may

take me awhile just like it did in windows but I find the answer to the

problems I have had, and it don't cost me a dime. Been doing some different

flavors of Linux for about seventeen years now, give are take a year or two!

Big BUCKS and lots of luck on windowz!