Some good software to have and use

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#91 rodm1

rodm1

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:44 AM

Linux (Ubuntu) it the only way. Grate for the average web surfer not so much for gamers and Cad/Cam.

#92 chamber12

chamber12

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

nalIf you don't play Windows games, Linux is now a viable alternative to Windows.  (Windows game compatibility is coming along, but isn't there yet)

Its license allows it to be freely used (no authorization or piracy checks involved).  

There are no known viruses or trojans or malware for it.

While I support linux (On an openSuse box running KDE as I post this) the claim that there is no malware that attacks *nix isn't exactly accurate. It is FAR more rare, and linux is Far more secure, but I just flinched at the 100% claim. :)

#93 Sumsky

Sumsky

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

Anyone have a link for a updated Adobe reader file? deleted my Adobe reader now all my files are encripted cant read anything.
Thanks

#94 Dad2142Dad

Dad2142Dad

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

Anyone have a link for a updated Adobe reader file? deleted my Adobe reader now all my files are encripted cant read anything.
Thanks

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

#95 Sumsky

Sumsky

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thanks

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

Thanks a million

#96 Syndicate

Syndicate

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

Avast pro is great, totally worth the money over the free one. I've tested it by intentionally trying to download a file that is known to contain a virus or rootkit, and avast has caught them with it's traffic monitoring tool. I did this on a virtual desktop since I didn't want to risk it either way, but my confidence in it was reaffirmed when a company wide email had a virus, and I was one of the few that didn't get it because avast kept me from opening the attachments.

The free one is just as good.

Avast works light years beyond your big name AV software as it uses heuristics.

Norton, McAfee, and a lot of the larger companies software is only as good as the update. With heuristics the AV knows the behaviors and base of various viri in the database and can "anticipate" if something is a virus by it's coding and how it interacts.

It does everything all in one, don't need adaware or anything else, also your AV is only as good as your browsers security settings.

There are quite a few other AVs out there that are good, but avast is the one I went with after knowing what they put into thier logic and seeing it in action.

2 tools I love are CCleaner and DriverSweeper (Phyxion.net). I would NOT use Driver Sweeper unless you follow the instructions and REALLY know what you are doing as you can completely hose your drivers and have to do a reinstall.

Software is what I do :)
If "elitist" just means "not the dumbest motherfucker in the room," I'll be an elitist! (From Get Your War On!)

ADD is a hoax. There’s no scientific and then there was a car chase, and ooh, I gotta go pee, then this guy, you’re funny! Yesterday I lemonade

#97 AK Okie

AK Okie

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

For excellent free anti virus software I like "Avast": http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

Zone Alarm is a great and FREE firewall program - requires user interaction - not for noobs: http://www.zonealarm...rm-firewall.htm

Finally - for great spyware removal, it's hard to beat SpyBot Search And Destroy at any price. Fortunately, its free. From Herrn Professor Dr. Ingeneur Kolla (really).
http://www.safer-net...g/en/index.html

Long live the open source movement!

WS

I've been a huge Avast fan for years! +1 on that recommendation!
"My reading of History convinces me that most bad Government results from too much Government" - Thomas Jefferson

#98 dethspec

dethspec

• Contributor
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

• Don't use Internet Explorer; use Chrome or Firefox as your browser
  • update Windows with windows update every time and all the time. Microsoft is pushing out security fixes to the code here.
  • buy an anti-virus and keep it updated daily
  • make sure you have your firewall turned on
  • Don't download fuzzykittens screensavers
  • Switch to Mac, Linux, or BSD >:)

#99 AK Okie

AK Okie

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

+1 on not only the Avast that I mentioned earlier, but Google Chrome is the best browser in my opinion. Thanks for the advice and link on CCCleaner; I'm downloading that now. Those that are downloading the linux operating systems that I miss from my college days; how are you installing it? Do you put it on another partition on the Hard drive or what?
"My reading of History convinces me that most bad Government results from too much Government" - Thomas Jefferson

#100 patriot

patriot

Pro Patria Vigilans. Verbum Vincet

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,324 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

Google Chrome IS spyware.
  • Dad2142Dad and Syndicate like this

Fighting for your rights whether you deserve them or not. Pro Patria Vigilans
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." Albert Einstein ...remember the Four BoxesJames 1:25
Tromix.....The best Saiga 12 you could buy. 

#101 AK Okie

AK Okie

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:55 AM

Google Chrome IS spyware.

Maybe they all are, but this is the best I found yet. Which one are you using? Maybe it's one I haven't discovered yet.

#102 patriot

patriot

Pro Patria Vigilans. Verbum Vincet

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,324 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:08 AM

Try Opera. It's fast and safe.
I'm running a beta of their X64 build. It RIPS.
To download the current stable version, click the link below:

http://www.opera.com...s=true&sub=true
  • AK Okie and Syndicate like this

Fighting for your rights whether you deserve them or not. Pro Patria Vigilans
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." Albert Einstein ...remember the Four BoxesJames 1:25
Tromix.....The best Saiga 12 you could buy. 

#103 Syndicate

Syndicate

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Opera for the win
I use a shelled out windows explorer and ie that I spent time building up, it's faster and more secure then anything I know. I unfortunately have to run IE most of the time at work, but I've made due just fine and I know all the work arounds and tricks after having been forced.
If "elitist" just means "not the dumbest motherfucker in the room," I'll be an elitist! (From Get Your War On!)

ADD is a hoax. There’s no scientific and then there was a car chase, and ooh, I gotta go pee, then this guy, you’re funny! Yesterday I lemonade

#104 MedicineStorm

MedicineStorm

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

... I use AOL. I know. They suck but as far as I have seen, they all do. ...

It is true that they all suck, but this is like saying "I drive a segway. I know, they suck, but all cars suck." AOL sucks so much that it can't even be considered a car- err... browser/ISP.

As a computer professional, I strongly recommend exploring alternatives. AOL behaves like a virus in almost every way except that it can't be removed by anti-virus software because it is a "voluntarily installed commercial product"

#105 AK Okie

AK Okie

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

Okay, we are all guilty of our stupid two-cents worth; lets start posting some software we can use. I will on my next post, lol

#106 slippingaway

slippingaway

Something witty and thought provoking...

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

I am in IT. I have been the primary inshop technican for a small IT company for years now. I will tell you what I run on my personal machine that gets 99.99%. I can't say any higher because hackers and virus writers are L337 bastards:

1st line of defense: Firefox with the following add-ons: Adblock Plus, Web Of Trust
Real Time Protection: AVG Free Edition (yes, free edition)
Freebie programs I scan after about ever 100 hours of surfing: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Super Antispyware
If in the odd chance something does get through all this and I notice it, I do a free ESET online scan.

There are dozens upon dozens of good anti-malware solutions, and McAffee isn't one of them. Their SiteAdvisor website checker is okay. Better than nothing, I suppose.

WARNING--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this account or any of its associated accounts, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the contents contained herein including, but not limited to expression of personal thoughts, ideas, photos, and/or the further comments made about the aforesaid as to the contents posted and/or transmitted herein. YOU ARE HEREBY notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this electronic transmission are private and legally privileged and may contain confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law.

#107 ferch

ferch

• 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Hi Guys,
As a happy Saiga an M76 owner I've been mostly reading gun related stuff here. This site was always a great source of news!

You talk about desktop stuff here, but I though you might be interested in topographic navigation as well... For IOS users there is excellent TACNAV app in the Istore, but no good military apps for Android. We had a go with this app during the JTAC exercise in Slovenia last week. It looks promising for the serious business as well.

You can find it on Google play:
https://play.google....ilsistemika.pes

Cheers,
Ferch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users