Yeah, one of our members got one but hasn't been on here in a long time. He was happy with it as I recall. It IS a beefed up AK, the true Dragunov doesn't use a traditional AK gas system, its more like an SKS gas system. The Romanian you're talking about just has a really long gas tube. I was about to get one from Centerfire but then I decided to just get a Saiga 308 (that I have alot of ammo for) and put a thumbhole stock on it for alot less money.

Here's the link to that guys post...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=592&hl=

Here's the bolt carrier/gas piston it uses...

http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=216&1=222&3=167

Edited by KySoldier
Bad for lefties, otherwise a great rifle. Not quite as sweet as a SVT-40, but still a great full-cartridge semiauto. Don't pay more than $650-700 for one, though.

Yeah, I have been considering the svt, as well as the cz vz52 in 7.62x45, both are similar in some ways. I do want to start getting into older guns too, but I want to complete my kalishnakov family first. They all can be found in around the same price range, the vz being slightly less expensive but ammo is harder to get. I want to start getting some US military guns as well, garands and thompson's, etc. I wish I was rich.

• 3 weeks later...

This is only one mans opinion but I bought a CDNN Dragunov from China [ 308 cal of course ] and this Romak3 elsewhere at the same time.

with 5 kinds of top notch ammo I could not get the Dragunov to match the cheaper romak3 that was on a diet of silver tips.

I did a great tiger stripe job on the Drag [ much better than this romak3 and sold it for $3000 after paying $1499 [ price at the time ].

If I can find an old target I will post it.

post-21-1103814603.jpg

You can buy the high-accuracy ammo surplus. Can't remember the model number, but it's available from Souther Ohio Gun as I recall. Kinda pricey versus Czech silvertip, which I find to be perfectly sufficient ammunition.

147 grain Wolf FMJ is supposedly supremely accurate in the Romak, too. Some folks claim it's better than match because of how the burn rate times the ejection.

I have the ROMAK 3.... in 54R... would like to get a SECOND in .308!!!!

I have shot Czeck silver tip and Wolf, as well as the corrossive albanian stuff.. that stuff had me scared... I would actually clean the gun at the RANGE... and then again when I got it home!!! talk about nasty... now it gets nothing but Wolf 148Gr.

They shoot DECENTLY...I would say an AVERAGE of 1.5" groups at 100 yards with a 4x stock scope. I KNOW I could squeeze that down to a .5-.75 group if I reloaded my own ammo.

the Czeck silver tip shoot JUST as good, and I still have about 700 rounds of it... but thats MILDLY corrossive... and for a $700.00 rifle, I prefer to just use the NON worrysome stuff, and save the czeck ammo for a shootin party... when I KNOW I am going to be shooting LOTS and LOTS of it in one day...

DO NOT and I REPEAT.... *DO* *NOT* Shoot the heavy ball ammo out of your ROMAK3... they are DESIGNED for the 146-148 Gr. ammo ONLY!!! not the heavy 180-200 stuff that was made for the mosin nagant bolt action rifles. Your bolt and bolt carrier as well as your receiver will APPRECIATE the lighter stuff... It will HANDLE the heavy ammo...for a while... it is just NOT RECOMMENDED..

I posted someplace else my feelings on the gun.. but to recap... ABSOLUTELY AMAZING... I LOVE the feel, and they way it holds... it doesnt kick at all just a mild PUSH... not a bone jarring KICK... the only downside I can mention is it is FARKIN LOUD!!!! *WEAR EAR PROTECTION!*

Any other ??'s please email me... I would recommend one of EACH to anyone!!!

DUDE!!!! YOWZA!!!! Why did you DECIMATE the original stock that was on there???

Thats like blasphemy!

Couldnt you just remove the original stock and put the new mak-90 on? or did you mess with the original first, and screw it up so bad it didnt matter?

I tried for a careful disassembly. It didn't go so well.

Ever see the bolt that holds the rear tang to the stock?

Bloody ridiculous self-expanding machine-installed bolt and lock-nut I had to use a Sawzall with a hacksaw blade to remove after shredding away the original stock in pieces. It was definitely NOT meant to EVER be removed, and about a quarter-inch thick and very tough to saw through.

I had that rifle for nine months in utterly unusable condition, nearly broke my jaw with the comb the first time I really tried shooting it in earnest, I couldn't crane my head over to see through the scope, and otherwise it was bad.

I thought about sawing off the comb, but laminates tend to shatter, so I figured remove the whole thing. After trying to drill out that bolt I gave up and started chopping.

New stock is comfy as can be, and I am very happy, as evidenced by the range report at the bottom of linked thread.

WHOA!!!

Well, I am glad I dont need to screw with my stock, then.... That sounds like a nasty project... Glad you got it all straightened out! It still looks nice too, with the thumbhole style stock on there too! :)