Not exactly a .50 BMG, but a whole lot cheaper.

Picked up a used Choate Ultimate Varmint stock and was able to do some work to it to make it fit a Mossberg 695 slug gun.

It greatly improved ergonomics (I hate straight stocks), and that combined with a little more weight reduced felt recoil significantly. It shoots sweet now. gotta get a bipod, and then the snows gotta melt so I can get into a real range. Those Hornady SST's have 0 declination at 150yds, so I'm gonna have to test that out this summer....Anyway something a little different for a shotgun.

post-635-1207014801_thumb.jpg

post-635-1207014815_thumb.jpg

post-635-1207014855_thumb.jpg

Edited by chris410

Thats slick! I've thought along the same line before when I was looking at the new generation of sabot slugs. I wouldn't be surprised if you just built yourself a 200yd anti-tank gun. Maybe make up some slugs with tungsten rods in the center. :super:

That's a really cool setup.

Another possible candidate for that kind of thing would be the new Stevens slug guns by Savage. Some work would still be required, but since the new slug guns are made more similar to the Savage rifles, the tactical stocks for the Savage rifles may be a close fit.

That's a really cool setup.

Another possible candidate for that kind of thing would be the new Stevens slug guns by Savage. Some work would still be required, but since the new slug guns are made more similar to the Savage rifles, the tactical stocks for the Savage rifles may be a close fit.

Yeah, you might be on to something, but I have no idea how the Stevens slug guns are, fitment wise. I had the 695 and a 595 which has the 4 round mag (works in both guns) so this was the natural choice for me. I burnt out my dremel on this project though and it took alot of time to get it to fit.

Anyway got out of work early and baja'd into the range (snowy, slushy, icy, muddy mess) and put quite a few different loads through it. Its interesting how much different one shoots from another, 2 3/4" Winchester Super X and Federal Vital shok did the best, consistently getting shots touching each other and averaging about 1" groups at 80yds. The SST's didnt seem to be as consistent, despite the higher velocity and purported flatter trajector. I felt like I was chasing the zero around with them and just couldnt quite "get it". I shot these towards the end of my session, so perhaps I was flinching a bit by that time, I'll have to go out one day with only them and zero and test'em again from scratch.

I know I'll be needing a better scope, probably the Nikon Slugmaster, I am currently using a chinese 2x red "t" dot and I can barely see the reticle with the brightness of the snow.

All in all I am pretty psyched with this, I think I paid about $200 for the 695, and got the stock fron GB for $125, so it is well worth it.

Thats slick! I've thought along the same line before when I was looking at the new generation of sabot slugs. I wouldn't be surprised if you just built yourself a 200yd anti-tank gun. Maybe make up some slugs with tungsten rods in the center. :super:

I'd be happy with 150yds, honestly, and sadly even that will require alot of effort on my part too. I've always been more of a plinker, but I really want to find out what this thing is capable of.

Know where I could get some tungsten rods?........I suppose I could imbed a smaller caliber shell in the tip of the slug for some special FX!!!! :ded: (of course I'm kidding)

Nice .69 caliber rifle! That would be loads of fun at the range when the fudds are "sighting in" their deer rifles! Wear a flak vest!

Hint: BP 12ga loaded with a .69 cal roundball are a LOT of fun!

Edited by patriot
I had the same problem with SST's in my 20ga. H&R USH. Got way better groups with the Federal Vital Shock with the blue ballistic tip Barnes Expander. Cost more but worth it.

OK so it probably wasnt just me then. I saw that Winchester has a new sabot out, XP3, I may try that out. Sucks tthat sabot shells are so pricey....

• 4 weeks later...

I was out at our impromptu range a few weeks ago and a guy was lobbing the Lightfields down range with of all things a Remington 870, pistol grip w/ 18.5" barrel and he kept them in a paper plate at 100yds. I was beyond impressed. I expected a 2'+ pattern out of that little "assault" 870.

• 3 weeks later...