If my Saiga dosent have a PG hole if I send it to be converted wont they cut the PG hole or do I have to do it myself anyways? How much harder is it to find a Saiga 7.62*39 with dimples?

Are you saying that a dimpled '06 Saiga is likely to have PG hole already cut in it? Wouldn't this theory be shot down by 22Shooter's dimpled reciever that didn't have a PG cut?

Is there any way to accurately predict which receiver will have it? This would greatly influence my decision on conversion, since I have no interest in cutting my receiver.

He's saying the opposite.

Dimpled Saigas normally do not have the PG hole already cut. There was thread where numerous people (including myself) verified this by checking their own Saigas.

Non-dimpled Saigas normally do have the PG hole already cut.

So if you're going to be buying a Saiga, and don't want to cut your own PG hole, then get a non-dimpled one.

(I think I read some about some exceptions, but your chances of getting a non-dimpled Saiga with no PG hole are slim to none)

Edited by Russian Spetznaz SVD
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meh, Nalioth may be a little rough around the edges but he knows a ton about AKs, and Posty is little more than an Arsenal fanboy. He'll be more than happy to tell you why his rifle is better than you

Aside from the fact you just got your ass handed to you on the dimples issue, if you look closely Post's rifle is a saiga, not from "arsenal of bulgaria". Stop trolling....

Showing off an out-of-spec weapon doesn't show us anything.   Just because it's "Arsenal of Bulgaria" doesn't mean it's perfect.

Posted Images

If my Saiga dosent have a PG hole if I send it to be converted wont they cut the PG hole or do I have to do it myself anyways? How much harder is it to find a Saiga 7.62*39 with dimples?
Are you saying that a dimpled '06 Saiga is likely to have PG hole already cut in it? Wouldn't this theory be shot down by 22Shooter's dimpled reciever that didn't have a PG cut?

Is there any way to accurately predict which receiver will have it? This would greatly influence my decision on conversion, since I have no interest in cutting my receiver.

Dimpled Saigas normally do not have the PG hole already cut. There was thread where numerous people (including myself) verified this by checking their own Saigas.

So if you're going to be buying a Saiga, and don't want to cut your own PG hole, then get a non-dimpled one.

(I think I read some about some exceptions, but your chances of getting a non-dimpled Saiga with no PG hole are slim to none)

They'll cut it. I've yet to hear of any place that charges extra for it, but maybe it's something you could ask beforehand. As far as how hard it is to find a dimpled receiver......it seems to be luck of the draw. I know one online dealer had an option to order with, or without, dimples ($20 price increase for dimples :rolleyes: ), but other than that, people just seem to stumble on them. My second x39 had dimples, which I didn't even notice until I got it home from the shop.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hear ya Post! LOL If I had one, I'd be braggin about it too!!

Well, Murphy is alive and well...I finally got all my parts for the conversion, I have several days off in which to do the conversion and play with it and...GOT FREAKIN FOOD POISONING!!!!! I was tearing it down last night in the house with the trashcan beside me to keep from throwin up on my rifle. On a brighter note, mine does have the pistol grip hole cut out. I am thankful for that. And extremely thankful that I went ahead and bought a Black and Decker corded rotary tool to compliment the cordless one. NO WAY the cordless would have handled the three cutt off wheels I went through last night.

I'm glad that I had a can of High Temp Stove paint on hand to keep me from making an extra trip away from the trash can. It matched up very well!

Well, after dinner at Mom in laws today, she will be going back together...FINALLY!!

Edited by unclejake
And extremely thankful that I went ahead and bought a Black and Decker corded rotary tool to compliment the cordless one. NO WAY the cordless would have handled the three cutt off wheels I went through last night.

May i suggest that you try glass fibre reinforced cutting discs, if you haven't already? They're amazing! They cost about a buck each but the ones i have (dremel 426 or 456) did the job that took 5 normal ones, and showed barely any wear afterwards!

Thanks bubba, I'll pick some up! I have about 30 or 40 that were given to me , free is free, but it would be nice not to have to stop and change wheels.

I finally finished the conversion tonight. Now I'm hooked!!

• 2 months later...

My dimpled x39 has a pistol grip hole. Just take off the receiver cover and check it before you buy it...

Just bought a Saiga 7.62 x 39mm last night at a local gun shop. Had to choose between the 223, the .308 and this one. I kind of did not like the looks of the trigger on the .308. Looked like a cheap stamped trigger. This one has a little more finess to it. Although, he said I could have any of the ones, including the .308 for the same price. He has had the .308 for a while and was letting me have it for the same price of $399.

Mine does not have a dimple (7.62x39) I have not shot it yet, and was wondering how to tell if it will accept the PG without much fanfare, and also, were there, or are there, instructions posted on the net somewhere on setting this rifle up with a PG and folding stock or collapasable stock per se? It is black polymer stock. 16" barrel imported by AAA. The .223 he had there was imported by EAA, however.

Is there a way to tell from the SN what year and type this one is?

Looked like a cheap stamped trigger.

They're all cheap triggers from the factory.

Mine does not have a dimple (7.62x39) I have not shot it yet, and was wondering how to tell if it will accept the PG without much fanfare

Simple. You disassemble it for cleaning, and look down inside the receiver for the pistol grip hole.

were there, or are there, instructions posted on the net somewhere on setting this rifle up with a PG and folding stock or collapasable stock per se?

Only about 11 years worth. Look at the stickies in the Conversions and modifications subform here

just got a dimpled 2009 one, all but positive I have a PG hole.... will be sure when I yank this trigger out of it

You don't have to do anything more than remove the receiver cover and take a look inside to determine if you've got your pg hole. It's the square one between the "sporter" trigger slot near the rear of the receiver and the notched hole for the proper AK triggergroup.

You probably have it already machined into the receiver by the factory. If not, it's hardly the end of the world. I was very apprehensive about cutting my own pg hole in my Saiga-12 receiver, (for some reason Ivan doesn't bother machining this hole into "sporter" Saiga shotgun receivers), but it wasn't that bad. Just measure 10x cause you can only cut once. If it's in the correct location and has the correct general dimensions, it'll work, even if the corners are a bit ragged, (like mine).

Black spraypaint and the pistol grip itself cover a multitude of sins. ;)

• 2 months later...
Why are the dimpled Saiga's so much better?
Because you don't have one.

That is the prime reason.

Secondary reasons are based on cosmetics.

All Saigas are just as functional as any other Saiga.

Am I going to need to do some additional filing to get AK mags to fit?

Additional when compared to what? Part of the conversion is the possibility of modifying the mag catch.

• 2 weeks later...

All of the new shipments were supposed to be dimpled

I have seen several posts from people who have looked through new shipments at their local dealer and either there were no dimpled or just about all were not dimpled

Why not ask CGW

HarvKY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting how much variation is showing up in dimples, pistol grip holes and chamber steps. I knew nothing of any of that when ordering my Saiga Sporter, 2009. By chance, and luck, mine arrived with dimples, PG hole and NO chamber step. Plain old "luck of the draw" - If I had known in advance, I would have asked questions before delivery. It seems that none of the three items are a big deal, except for possibly the chamber step where reloading might be affected.

sailor

Interesting how much variation is showing up in dimples, pistol grip holes and chamber steps. I knew nothing of any of that when ordering my Saiga Sporter, 2009. By chance, and luck, mine arrived with dimples, PG hole and NO chamber step. Plain old "luck of the draw" - If I had known in advance, I would have asked questions before delivery. It seems that none of the three items are a big deal, except for possibly the chamber step where reloading might be affected.

sailor

If the "chamber steps" you are referring to are the parts of the chamber that puts a distinctive ring on the neck of the case, it's not any problem to reload it.

A neck resizer will straight it right out.

All 7.62x39 Saigas have this.

So far, no 5.45x39 or .223 Saigas have been reported to do this (the .223 marks cases in a different manner).

Interesting how much variation is showing up in dimples, pistol grip holes and chamber steps. I knew nothing of any of that when ordering my Saiga Sporter, 2009. By chance, and luck, mine arrived with dimples, PG hole and NO chamber step.

There was talk that all new ('09 and upcoming) imports would have dimples and a PG hole. Which formerly was not the norm. So either you "lucked out" like you said, or you just happened to get a newer import.

Nalioth - All Saigas might have the "case neck step/ring", but mine does not. I have five Fiocchi brass cases with no mark on the neck of any of them. The Saiga is a Sporter model, certificate 26 February 2009. I looked carefully at the photos in the Sticky for neck expansion for Saigas, but do not have that at all. No big deal, just that this one does not have that "feature". I just lucked out with dimples, a PG hole and no "civilian chamber magic".

sailor