• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meh, Nalioth may be a little rough around the edges but he knows a ton about AKs, and Posty is little more than an Arsenal fanboy. He'll be more than happy to tell you why his rifle is better than you

Aside from the fact you just got your ass handed to you on the dimples issue, if you look closely Post's rifle is a saiga, not from "arsenal of bulgaria". Stop trolling....

Showing off an out-of-spec weapon doesn't show us anything.   Just because it's "Arsenal of Bulgaria" doesn't mean it's perfect.

Posted Images

Dimples are more true to the military appearance, and might help secure the mag. They were also used as a tactile reference for handling the firearm in the dark. Dimples receivers are now more desirable. Spend the extra $20 and get it.

Dimples are more true to the military appearance, and might help secure the mag. They were also used as a tactile reference for handling the firearm in the dark. Dimples receivers are now more desirable. Spend the extra $20 and get it.

Tritium,

I know you have been gathering information on Saiga receivers (that were originally headed for a military specification) but then used for sporting purposes to keep the assembly going (or at least that was one theory).

I know I sent you info on my dimpled receiver as well as others have.

Do you have any preliminary thoughts to share based on the information you have gathered (so far) about dimpled receivers? ]

I know when asked how to tell if you have a military receiver you told me to look next to the logo on the left side of the receiver for a box filled with cross-hatched lines.

louielouie

Tritium,

Do you have any preliminary thoughts to share based on the information you have gathered (so far) about dimpled receivers? ]

In addition to the small cross hatched square on the left receiver, other differences in markings are: dimpled- Saiga in Cyrillic on right receiver, sporter- Cyrillic on left; dimpled-Izhmash logo on right, sporter-on left; dimpled-small Izhmash proof mark (arrow and mirrored 'E's) above left front lower rivet, sporter- large proof mark to left of first lower rivet; dimpled- Cyrillic for 'sporter model' or something similar on right receiver, sporter- no Cyrillic; dimpled- Cyrillic safety markings and English letters, sproter- English only. Quality and construction seem identical otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Tritium,

In addition to the small cross hatched square on the left receiver, other differences in markings are: dimpled- Saiga in Cyrillic on right receiver, sporter- Cyrillic on left; dimpled-Izhmash logo on right, sporter-on left; dimpled-small Izhmash proof mark (arrow and mirrored 'E's) above left front lower rivet, sporter- large proof mark to left of first lower rivet; dimpled- Cyrillic for 'sporter model' or something similar on right receiver, sporter- no Cyrillic; dimpled- Cyrillic safety markings and English letters, sproter- English only. Quality and construction seem identical otherwise.

I just got my Saiga with dimpled receiver today and I have a couple of surprises.

I have a "Y" to go with my dimples receiver. Plus I have all of the following that you listed for a dimpled receiver.

- Saiga in Cyrillic on right receiver,

- Izhmash logo on right

-Small Izhmash proof mark (arrow and mirrored 'E's) above left front lower rivet,

- Cyrillic for 'sporter model' or something similar on right receiver

- Cyrillic safety markings and English letters

BUT

I don't have the Small cross-hatched square on the left receiver

Can you make any sense out of that? Seems like with the dimple and Y, it would be a military receiver, but with no hatched box it doesn't fit the criteria all the way.

Any ideas?

louielouie

PICS OR LIES, Louielouie!!!! PICS OR LIES!!!!

post-721-1208300210.jpg

:smoke:

Oh, Indy, you cut me to the quick. To think that I would lie to just impress someone on this forum???? :wub:

Just because I don't got no stinken pictures!!! :alucard: If they let me out of solitary tomorrow, I will see if the warden will let me take a few photos of the "alien" receiver. :eek::eek:

I know that's not good, but its the best I got. ;);)

I aint't got no stinkin pictures, but I will get some tomorrow. :alucard:

Yeah tomorrow is a the right day to do anything. :lolol:

louielouie :smoke:

PICS OR LIES, Louielouie!!!! PICS OR LIES!!!!

post-721-1208300210.jpg

Indy,

They aren't very good, but you can see the main details. You can clearly see the dimple, the Y and all the other usual stuff you would expect to see on a dimpled receiver, except there is no cross-hatched box?

post-5881-1208320979_thumb.jpg

post-5881-1208321048_thumb.jpg

post-5881-1208321008_thumb.jpg

louielouie

I like the appearance of my dimpled over the smooth reciever, but after recently converting the dimpled....holy shit, it didn't have a PG hole, so if you want to save time on cutting your own PG hole, get a smooth..if not, get a dimpled and plan to spend extra time (say a six pack's worth ;) )

Nice, Louie!!! Thanks for the pics... It is surprising to see one without the crosshatched out markings on the left hand side... AWESOME! :up:

Indy,

If you think I should put this in another place or post it with another topic just let me know.

While searching for info on my dimpled + Y but no cross-hatched receiver I happened upon enough information to start a library on the AK to Saiga and everything in between. I have 3 internet sites listed below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This first one gives the best and most inclusive answer to the "why are there Dimple and Y's" that I have found and been able to investigate.

http://www.migeta.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-3755.html

:: MIG/ETA Forum :: > MIGETA Company Forums > AK USA > Dimples and a Y !!

Name of person on this Forum - "Hopster"

"I do not know the exact legal differences between the Euro "M3 " and the USA "762 sporter" but as far as I know the M3 could look a lot like a AK103 as opposed to the montecarlo style 762 sporter. Different rules. The europeans were not prohibited from having "evil pistol grips" for example.The dimples never fell under any rules. They could take any 100 series and divert it to M3 production, deactivate whatever military features they were required to do, then sell it to civilians as an M3. They are labeled as M3's by that time.

The new batch of Saigas that came in are actually M3's, labeled as such, but then they were converted for US import. Simply translate the logo text on the right side of trunnion, and also note the "M)K03" designation on the lower left side.

The previous generation of saigas did not have the M3 markings.

I don't think there was any detailed planning as far as whether the guns had dimples or Y stamps. I think it was just whatever they had".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other 2 internet sites have a lot of information that any Sagai gun owner will love.

You won't believe it till you see it.

"Kalashnikov Arms Versions"

http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/models.html

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Another motherload of information on every firearm being made.

List with photos of all kinds of firearms.

http://www.firearmsid.com/farmslinks.html

louielouie

'ArcFault' ,

Maybe someone brought in some Vodka the day our Saigas were made. :wacko:

Being the nice guy I am you can go ahead and keep my cross hatched box. :up:

louielouie :smoke:

I like the appearance of my dimpled over the smooth reciever, but after recently converting the dimpled....holy shit, it didn't have a PG hole, so if you want to save time on cutting your own PG hole, get a smooth..if not, get a dimpled and plan to spend extra time (say a six pack's worth ;) )

I have a smooth, but no PG hole. This is my partially converted Saiga. I'm waiting for the pistol grip and screw before cutting the hole.

post-10710-1208758634_thumb.jpg

post-10710-1208758650_thumb.jpg

I have a smooth, but no PG hole. This is my partially converted Saiga. I'm waiting for the pistol grip and screw before cutting the hole.

post-10710-1208758634_thumb.jpg

post-10710-1208758650_thumb.jpg

mikea1022,

I am going to make an assumption. I think that your serial number begins with a letter and the first 2 numbers of your serial number are 01.

If I am right, then your Saiga was made in 2001. The early Saigas did not have the pistol grip hole already cut.

louielouie

anyone notice the marking differences of a dimple and non-dimple gun? anyone know if there is a reason why? (referring to the Izhmash logo being on the bolt side of dimpled guns and not the other side where its on the smooth ones) Am I being a tard? if so, just dunce cap my ass ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, new guy on the board. I have two dimpled Saiga rifles. One with the Y stamp and one without. Neither has the pistol grip hole cut. Pictures are of the Y stamped one, as the other is in the process of being converted. Haven't decided what to do with this one yet. Sorry for the crappy pics, old camera. If you look close, you can see where the slot in the rail for the auto sear tail has been welded up.

2rxchv4.jpg

2e54lc6.jpg

2qwosu8.jpg

14d10mw.jpg

• 7 months later...
I'm confused. Mine is an '06 gun, no dimples, no crosshatch marks, with pistol grip hole already cut. Is that normal?

My '99 gun looks like it had the PG hole cut at the time of the conversion.

Seems normal. My non-dimpled x39 had the PG hole already cut. My dimpled x39 does not. Both are '06 manufactured.

I'm confused. Mine is an '06 gun, no dimples, no crosshatch marks, with pistol grip hole already cut. Is that normal?

My '99 gun looks like it had the PG hole cut at the time of the conversion.

The dimpled Saigas were made when Izhmash ran a few AK-103 receivers on their Saiga line. The crosshatch marks are where they obscured the military markings.

Your 06 rifle represents the rule, not the exception.

Are you saying that a dimpled '06 Saiga is likely to have a PG hole already cut in it? Wouldn't this theory be shot down by 22Shooter's dimpled reciever that didn't have a PG cut?

Is there any way to accurately predict which receiver will have it? This would greatly influence my decision on conversion, since I have no interest in cutting my receiver.

Are you saying that a dimpled '06 Saiga is likely to have a PG hole already cut in it? Wouldn't this theory be shot down by 22Shooter's dimpled reciever that didn't have a PG cut?

Is there any way to accurately predict which receiver will have it? This would greatly influence my decision on conversion, since I have no interest in cutting my receiver.

He's saying the opposite.

Dimpled Saigas normally do not have the PG hole already cut. There was thread where numerous people (including myself) verified this by checking their own Saigas.

Non-dimpled Saigas normally do have the PG hole already cut.

So if you're going to be buying a Saiga, and don't want to cut your own PG hole, then get a non-dimpled one.

(I think I read some about some exceptions, but your chances of getting a non-dimpled Saiga with no PG hole are slim to none)

i dont have the dimples and i am finding i get a hang up if the clip goes in slightly one side or the other,,, i am thinking the dimples help feed the mag into the gun with out it binding. any input on this ? i am also thinking i may put some pieces of flat stock on both sides to prevent said binding and make my mag swaps go faster and smoother. anybody know of a us part to fix this ?

i dont have the dimples and i am finding i get a hang up if the clip goes in slightly one side or the other,,, i am thinking the dimples help feed the mag into the gun with out it binding. any input on this ? i am also thinking i may put some pieces of flat stock on both sides to prevent said binding and make my mag swaps go faster and smoother. anybody know of a us part to fix this ?

The dimples are for structural strengthening of the receiver, and have nothing to do with magazine fit.

The shape of the mag well is the usual culprit.

Edited by nalioth
  • Like 1