Nalioth - All Saigas might have the "case neck step/ring", but mine does not. I have five Fiocchi brass cases with no mark on the neck of any of them. The Saiga is a Sporter model, certificate 26 February 2009. I looked carefully at the photos in the Sticky for neck expansion for Saigas, but do not have that at all. No big deal, just that this one does not have that "feature". I just lucked out with dimples, a PG hole and no "civilian chamber magic".

sailor

You definitely lucked out getting all 3 features, (barrel w/ mil-spec chamber, magwell dimples, factory pg hole), on a standard "sporter" Saiga rifle.

Perhaps you should go pick up a couple lotto tickets. :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meh, Nalioth may be a little rough around the edges but he knows a ton about AKs, and Posty is little more than an Arsenal fanboy. He'll be more than happy to tell you why his rifle is better than you

Aside from the fact you just got your ass handed to you on the dimples issue, if you look closely Post's rifle is a saiga, not from "arsenal of bulgaria". Stop trolling....

Showing off an out-of-spec weapon doesn't show us anything.   Just because it's "Arsenal of Bulgaria" doesn't mean it's perfect.

Posted Images

I didn't think of it before, but no "cross hatch" on mine, either - I guess that makes 4 plus's, on top of being a Saiga. I was reading on another site about an AR 15 with a serious KABOOM!. Some one mentioned the AK's don't do that :haha: , at least no one came up with an example. I guess any machine can "do it wrong", but I have complete trust in my "Russian girl", as some poster says.

sailor

• 1 month later...

Just picked up my brand new Saiga 7.62 yesterday. Its a 09 by the stamping and 03/2009 from the certificate book, has dimples, looks like threaded barrel,does not ring cases, and has the x stamping. Looks like the PG hole is cut, but I'm not sure, (bad light).Havent taken off the handguard yet to look for the grooves, as soon as I do, I'll post here, with pics, too, of course..I'll post the pix tommorow.

My FIRST Saiga!!! IT'S here!!.....

Edited by icefire

Just picked up my brand new Saiga 7.62 yesterday. Its a 09 by the stamping and book, has dimples, looks like threaded barrel, does not ring cases, and has the x and y stampings. Havent taken off the handguard yet to look foir the grooves, as soon as I do, I'll post here, with pics, too, of course..

Please post a picture of the side of the receiver.

Just picked up my brand new Saiga 7.62 yesterday. Its a 09 by the stamping and book, has dimples, looks like threaded barrel, does not ring cases, and has the x and y stampings. Havent taken off the handguard yet to look foir the grooves, as soon as I do, I'll post here, with pics, too, of course..

Please post a picture of the side of the receiver.

Ok, here it is, 09 saiga 7.62 with dimples

post-22253-12645279541939_thumb.jpg

post-22253-12645279661428_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

Check page 1 post #10. You'll see what is referred to as the "Y stamp", this indicates, a full auto receiver. Its where the 3rd axis pin would go if there were a hole in that "Y".

Thanks. saw that after I posted. I guess I have some of the mil features, but not all 5..interesting, these Saigas...they're like a box of chocolates, "ya never know what yer gonna get"...

Thanks.

Check page 1 post #10. You'll see what is referred to as the "Y stamp", this indicates, a full auto receiver. Its where the 3rd axis pin would go if there were a hole in that "Y".

Thanks. saw that after I posted. I guess I have some of the mil features, but not all 5..interesting, these Saigas...they're like a box of chocolates, "ya never know what yer gonna get"...

There is a link floating around somewhere to the BATFE about that thrid Y stamp in the receiver. They are on the look out for them. I doubt we as consumers will be seeing any more new production Saigas with that "feature". It would be a cool conversation piece tho!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks.

There is a link floating around somewhere to the BATFE about that thrid Y stamp in the receiver. They are on the look out for them. I doubt we as consumers will be seeing any more new production Saigas with that "feature". It would be a cool conversation piece tho!

Third "Y"s are fine. They exist on many factory AKs.

It's the spot welded plug in them that the revenuers are looking for.

I had sent my Saiga to Cadiz for some warranty, apparently there is a list published by the ATF that discriminates against certain lots of serial numbers. Tom said they had to run my serial #, it came back clean. If it hadn't they would have kept/destroyed it and sent me a new one. Per Tom, This was mainly an issue with guns manufactured around '06. I don't like that idea at all.

My 09 Saiga has dimples, pistol grip nut hole, but has a stepped case mouth.

[/quote

What is a stepped case mouth?.....Is this desirable?....and how do i tell?....Just picked up a 7.62x39 last night. Im gonna post some pics it has dimples but some of the markings are different.

Ok here are some not so great pics. Mine pretty much resembles the one a few posts above...looks like born on date of 1-29-09

post-18945-12676742753514_thumb.jpgIt definately has dimples...and under the two symbols on the front lower right it has mk103 and the date, some kind of cryllic on right front upper part also...hopefully y'all can see this

Guess I will have to take the dust cover off to see if there is a PG hole

post-18945-12676739299272_thumb.jpg

post-18945-12676741686713_thumb.jpg

post-18945-12676742206562_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

Have we found out anymore info on which rifles are coming out of the factory with the goodies? or like icefire says ( these Saigas...they're like a box of chocolates, "ya never know what yer gonna get"... )

• 2 weeks later...

from the pics i can see is all 09 7.62X39's have the dimples. my march 09 rifle has the dimples, pg hole, notches on the barral, notch vut on the front of the barral. i do not have the threaded barral on my gun, but i have not shot brass to see if the case has the swell on it, on wolf ammo there is no indication of a case neck swelling

from the pics i can see is all 09 7.62X39's have the dimples. my march 09 rifle has the dimples, pg hole, notches on the barral, notch vut on the front of the barral. i do not have the threaded barral on my gun, but i have not shot brass to see if the case has the swell on it, on wolf ammo there is no indication of a case neck swelling

If your rifle had a "stepped" chamber, there'd be obvious evidence of it on your expended cartridges, even on steel ones. Congrats on having a military barrel, even if it's not threaded. :up:

If your rifle had a "stepped" chamber, there'd be obvious evidence of it on your expended cartridges, even on steel ones. Congrats on having a military barrel, even if it's not threaded. :up:

Whats the big thing about having a non-stepped barrel. There is no accuracy loss or any negative effect on the bullet. Is it just an esthetic thing? If so wouldnt that be voided if you put a lets say ar type collapsing stock, or a non authentic PG, on the rifle because that wouldnt be authentic to ak's. I really don't understand the negitive feed back on steped barrels, they still perform just as well if not better in some cases than non stepped arsenal sgl barrels. Correct me if im wrong, I am just wondering.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been considering getting a 7.62x39 Saiga. I must have one with dimples. I absolutely do not want the stepped barrel. I know it doesn't hurt anything, but I just don't want it. Does anyone know of a dealer that has enough knowledge of their product to tell me whether or not the rifles they have in stock have the non-stepped barrel and dimples? I have been attempting to do business with a company that can't seem to identify canted sights (3 AKs sent back so far on one transaction due to canted sights), so I'm not even going to try getting one from them. It would be worth paying a little more to someone else that knows their product, to me.

Any help/input appreciated.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

armsofamerica is a good place. andrew knows his stuff.he should be able to get one with dimples for you.

Thank you for the lead. I just got another AR15 today and it will be a couple weeks before I can jump, but I'll call and see if I can talk to Andrew.