• 1 month later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meh, Nalioth may be a little rough around the edges but he knows a ton about AKs, and Posty is little more than an Arsenal fanboy. He'll be more than happy to tell you why his rifle is better than you

Aside from the fact you just got your ass handed to you on the dimples issue, if you look closely Post's rifle is a saiga, not from "arsenal of bulgaria". Stop trolling....

Showing off an out-of-spec weapon doesn't show us anything.   Just because it's "Arsenal of Bulgaria" doesn't mean it's perfect.

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Dimpled, X and Y stamps....non-threaded. Production date of 09-01-30.

They all have "X and Y stamps", man. Does yours have a second Y stamp? That's the one that (potentially) matters. ;)

Mine is an 06; has all the X's and Y's, and is dimpled. Barrel was not threaded from the factory, but it is now. :super:

DSCF0517.jpg

They all have "X and Y stamps", man. Does yours have a second Y stamp? That's the one that (potentially) matters. ;)

What's the issue with the 2nd Y stamp?

It will come to you automatically one day.

• Like 2

Do ~5 min of research. ;)

Mine is an 06; has all the X's and Y's, and is dimpled. Barrel was not threaded from the factory, but it is now. :super:

DSCF0517.jpg

Very nice! :up:

That's the model I'd want to start with if I were to convert restore my own IZ-132. Since these were long gone by the time I got into Saigas, I just bought some SGL-21s during the '09 sale. ;) No second Y, but almost everything else, (aside from factory folding stock and select fire), is GTG from a mil-spec perspective.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Short answer: Second Y stamp can earn you some bad memories of Bubba at Club Fed. :2c:

Short answer: Second Y stamp can earn you some bad memories of Bubba at Club Fed. :2c:

Wrong.

• Like 3

does anyone know if the 7.62's are all dimpled now? looking to add one more but can't find them local, has to be internet sales so viewing b4 purchasing is out of the question. anybody know? TIA

• 4 weeks later...

Wrong.

Nope. It's what you do with the extra "Y" stamp that lands you in hot water without the proper paperwork. :angel:

whats a chamber step??

Interesting how much variation is showing up in dimples, pistol grip holes and chamber steps. I knew nothing of any of that when ordering my Saiga Sporter, 2009. By chance, and luck, mine arrived with dimples, PG hole and NO chamber step. Plain old "luck of the draw" - If I had known in advance, I would have asked questions before delivery. It seems that none of the three items are a big deal, except for possibly the chamber step where reloading might be affected.

sailor

haha thats funny..yeah i think i got the same one as urs the other day.. its a april 30 09 carbine w the 16 in barrel.. i love it.. still dont know much about it yet thought.. u said urs had some of the features what features are u talking about?

Thanks.

Check page 1 post #10. You'll see what is referred to as the "Y stamp", this indicates, a full auto receiver. Its where the 3rd axis pin would go if there were a hole in that "Y".

Thanks. saw that after I posted. I guess I have some of the mil features, but not all 5..interesting, these Saigas...they're like a box of chocolates, "ya never know what yer gonna get"...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dimpled... 09 serial.... March 2011 acceptance paperwork (old stock recently imported?)... flat trunnion... no barrel step... PG hole... lovely Legion coverup... sweetness.

saiga-side.jpg

I hope the one I ordered will have no stepped barrel. I do know it has the dimples though, from what they told me. Will post once it gets here next week.

• 1 month later...
just got a dimpled 2009 one, all but positive I have a PG hole.... will be sure when I yank this trigger out of it

You don't have to do anything more than remove the receiver cover and take a look inside to determine if you've got your pg hole. It's the square one between the "sporter" trigger slot near the rear of the receiver and the notched hole for the proper AK triggergroup.

You probably have it already machined into the receiver by the factory. If not, it's hardly the end of the world. I was very apprehensive about cutting my own pg hole in my Saiga-12 receiver, (for some reason Ivan doesn't bother machining this hole into "sporter" Saiga shotgun receivers), but it wasn't that bad. Just measure 10x cause you can only cut once. If it's in the correct location and has the correct general dimensions, it'll work, even if the corners are a bit ragged, (like mine).

Black spraypaint and the pistol grip itself cover a multitude of sins. wink.gif

Mine is 2009, dimpled. Is the PG hole kinda square looking and located directly under the wishbone linkage thingy? If so, looks like mine has it and just covered by the trigger/handguard plate on the bottom.

Mine is 2009, dimpled. Is the PG hole kinda square looking and located directly under the wishbone linkage thingy? If so, looks like mine has it and just covered by the trigger/handguard plate on the bottom.

That sounds right, you should be good to go, my two 2009 dimpled 7.62's had the PG hole. You should be able to see it just looking down into the receiver.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just bought an arsenal Saiga today where are the x and y stamps? Are they the dimples around the pins on the receiver? If so, my 2011 arsenal AK has them, my 2011 Legion Saiga-12 doesn't, but my 1993 EAA Saiga.410 does?

Edited by im_n2_vws
  • 1 month later...

I just picked up my second 7.62x39... and my first since I knew very much about these rifles. I ordered from Buds and requested a dimpled receiver if they had one. I ended up with dimples, "match striker" or velcro etching on right rear of receiver, no chamber step and what looks to possibly be a threaded barrel. I will be converting it but hadn't planned to mess with the front end. Maybe I'll change my mind. March 2009 manufacture, but also indicated in my paperwork is that "Reconservation of the product was made 2012.01.16." I'm guessing old stock, reimported. I'm excited about the dimples and no chamber step and will be converting this one first, before my plain old '06 model with all standard sporter features. I have the faux-converted T-6 stock set on my '06 but now have the courage to convert, thanks for all the info you folks provide here.

receiver

crown

I was looking through this thread yesterday thinking, "man... those dimpled ones look sweet.... wish mine was... " and guess what? LoL, just realized I do have a dimpled one...

Please dont judge the stockness of it, need to do a few more things to make it look purdy... :)

lol.... slap received and understood.... But imagine my elation at realizing that I had one though, haha. Couple more months and it wont be so "starter" lookin. smile.png If the dog gone wife's jeep didnt need tires, this thing would be purdier faster...

Edited by brandon402