I have some black Bulgie 5.45 mags that I've been saving for when I find a deal on a '74 to use them with, or mod the followers for use in my .223.

Can someone who knows something about them please tell me what they are worth on today's market and if some of the different types I have are more rare than the others?

From what I have read lately, they seem to have gone up in value and become more scarce.

Here is what I have....

1. Double circle 10's with a 1 on the other side (some black internals, some brown)

2. Double circle 10's with a 2 on the other side (brown internals

3. Double circle 10 with nothing on the other side ( black internals)

4. Double circle 21's with a 1-1 on the other side (brown internals)

5. Double circle 21's with a 1-2 on the other side (some black internals, some brown)

post-1293-1207089221_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1207088659_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1207088727_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1207088816_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1207088832_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1207088848_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1207088905_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1207088962_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1207088486_thumb.jpg

1. Double circle 10's with a 1 on the other side (some black internals, some brown)

2. Double circle 10's with a 2 on the other side (brown internals

3. Double circle 10 with nothing on the other side ( black internals)

4. Double circle 21's with a 1-1 on the other side (brown internals)

5. Double circle 21's with a 1-2 on the other side (some black internals, some brown)

Black bulgy 5.45mags are quite common.

The 'numbers on the other side' are mold pattern numbers.

3. Double circle 10 with nothing on the other side ( black internals) Not ever heard or seen a bulgy without a mold mark. Might have something there a collector'd pay extra for (but not normal folks)

The internals were changed out as needed by the unit armoror, so the followers you have may or may not have come with the mags.

If you've got any firebrick red or brown (sometimes these are light and called "tan"), those are more sought after as there weren't as many made or imported.

Here's a very good site to learn about 5.45x39 mags: http://home.comcast.net/~shooter2_indy/ak74_mag_guide.html

As far as the price goes, the last I saw any for sale, they were getting $50 for 4 used-excellent mags with a mag pouch (shipping included). I've not seen any for sale lately from vendors.

Thanks man I'll check that out.

I looked again on the one with the blank side. I was mistaken, it has a 2 on the left side but no 10 or 21 on the right..It's also more shiny and black looking than the rest.

I did see some for sale on one site recently for $25 each.

post-1293-1207089625_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1207089657_thumb.jpg

Thanks man I'll check that out.

I looked again on the one with the blank side. I was mistaken, it has a 2 on the left side but no 10 or 21 on the right...It's also more shiny and black looking than the rest.

I did see some for sale on one site recently for $25 each.

post-1293-1207089625_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1207089657_thumb.jpg

That is a Polish Tantal magazine.

Now that I can see the Bulgy pix, your ink stamped mags might be attractive to collectors, too (but not to folks who just like to shoot).

Ahhh soo...I did get that one from somewhere else... What do those go for? Are they common too?

The ink stamps were gonna be my next question. They all have misc stampings and ink marks in different places on the mags. Didn't know what to think about that. :unsure:

Well if they are worth more to a collector then that's good news because I have a collector interested in trading me an AMD-65 kit for some of them and one of my rails. I'm trying to figure out how many to turn loose of and how many of which ones to keep.

Ahhh soo...I did get that one from somewhere else... What do those go for? Are they common too?
That is a Polish 2nd pattern Tantal magazine. The '1st pattern' mags were steel (you can get 'em from CopesDist or Century). They are rarer than bulgarian blackies, but that is only because Poland didn't make as many...

They are higher quality than the Bulgarian mags, though.

The Bulgarians (for whatever reason) did not use the same dimensions or quality of steel in their front locking lugs. They tend to wear out over time and will eventually break off (leaving you your ink stamps to look at).

front_lug_1188a.JPG

The Polish and Russian and East German mags don't exhibit this.

Edited by nalioth

Hey thanks for your help nalioth really. That site is good for info too. I had a chance to get a Tula x39 bakelite recently on another forum. I wonder if it's still there...doubtful.

I was thinking of offering the guy one of my Izzy bakelites for a trade. Looks like the Tulas are more rare according to that site...at least the 5.45's are.

They are pretty sloppy with that ink aren't they...lol. Is there anywhere I can go to see what that circular stamp is supposed to represent? :unsure:

You got me there. I just shoot with 'em.

I don't think there's much "show off your ink stamp" stuff going on at AK Files or AK Forum, but you might try poking a member of the Kalashnikov Collectors Association.

• 3 months later...

I like having a variety of 5.45x39 magazines, and after years of picking them up here and there, I'm pretty happy with my collection.

The ONE magazine that I've always let slip through my fingers is the Polish Tantal polymer 5.45x39mm. If you're interested in selling yours for cold hard cash, please let me know. GunsnThings had 'em 2 weeks ago, and I let a week go by before contacting them.

Sold out by then. Story of my life...

Also, if you'd rather trade, I have Soviets plums, one (1) Soviet Pure Black, and parked Polish mags (and painted too) in 5.45 too.

- rockolobster

The ONE magazine that I've always let slip through my fingers is the Polish Tantal polymer 5.45x39mm.

I guess when you're not looking for them, they're like pebbles on a beach.

I've got several Polish 5.45x39 polymer mags that were sold to me as "Bulgarian". I thought they were quite common.

Who knew?

for 5.45x39 I have 8 bakelite 30 rounders (Mostly East German if I recall, some bulgy I think)

and 2 bakelite 45 rounders (Bulgy). Probably going to place on the WTS forum.

I also have like 16 Russian plum mags in 5.45x39 ...but not parting with those.

Naolith is correct. That front lug is where you always need to keep an eye on when picking out your mags. Crisp corners = good. Worn = bad.

~S