Did I order the wrong mags? (doh!)

I ordered 3 of these:

http://www.interordnance.com/Merchant2/mer...uct_Code=AK0011

for my new Saiga. Came back from a Thanksgiving trip to find that they don't fit. Seems like they don't want to click shut.

mag1.jpg

mag2.jpg

mag3.jpg

Thought....comments?

Thanks,

-Rogi

edit: I know they have to be modified before I can use them. Will they not fit until I mod them? :sadam:

Edited by Rogi

Rogi:

I am afraid so. The Saiga does not take standard AK-47 type of magazines (without modification). See the threads below on guys who have made the modifications and the debate over the value of spending $8 - $10 on a standard magazine and investing the time and energy to modify them (as well as reliability concerns) versus buying Russian made 30 round Saiga magazines for $28 to $30 each. The importer EAA sells them online for $30. Ramsey Sport sells them online for $28. That's it. So you are left to decide to modify or sell the standard AK mags.

I am waiting for feedback on a question I postd about the legality of using high cap. magazines in a out of the box unmodified Saiga. I am hoping to get clarity on whether or not 922r regulations apply to the stock Saiga if you plug in the high capacity 30 round magazine. If so, the $199 rifle will either have to be converted to ten or less imported parts (which will be fun but costly) or the shooter will be prohibited from using anything exceeding the 10 round magazine that came with the unit. I did come across a site tonight offering the 10 rounder for $10 which is $5 or $6 less than EAA's everyday price. Those might come in handy as in Michigan the hunter is limited to a five round capacity magazine. Plinking is one thing, hunting another. Laws, laws, laws...

Hope i helped. "Wolverine" :rolleyes:

Wolverine,

The ban on hi-caps expired when the assault rifle ban ended.

Saiga's have been sold with 10 round magazines for quite a while. After the ban ended it took EAA and Ramsey Sports about a month to get shipments in, they couldn't import the 30 round Factory Saiga magazines until then.

It's okay to buy them now.

It's good to see another Michigander on the forum.

Edited by ProgCoder

Thanks ProgCoder.

You confirmed what I thought might be the case. It makes sense, particularly since the importer is offering the high caps for sale. In light of the expired ban what does not make sense is the requirement to limit the number of imported parts to ten or less when "building" or customizing an "assault" rifle. The receiver has to be registered through FFL process why should the BATF care about the rest as long as there is no attempt to convert to full auto? Am I missing something?

"Wolverine"

jtoddellis:

Greetings. I have not tried standard AK mags in my new Saiga. I did buy four Belguim synthetic mags waffle Ag mags at at K-var for $10 each. They were tighter than heck in my new WASR-10. I broke out the Dremel and did the "fix" after Century's crap job. They still fit pretty tight and will not drop out when released. They are easiliy removed by hand however. The long and short of it is I will be buying metal mags in the future. When you compare the two the additional width of the synthetic is notable.

I may try to alter one of the Belguim's to fit in the Saiga to see how it works. I think there is metal it the top portion of the mag. that would permit a bond or weld to build up the lip. If I do I will share the results with the Forum.

Hello all -new to the forum but I do have some advice on modifing ak mags,,be carefull with jb weld its a wonderful product but after shooting 100 rds thru my mag the jbweld broke free causing gun to jamb. This could be dangerous I then went to Home Depot and bought 1/8 round rod and had a good freind weld it on. I've did about 9 mags this way and never had a problem shoot thru 600rds and perform perfectly. You still have to grind the back catch . As much time and :killer: energy I have put into modifing mags I believe it would have been easier to do a feed ramp...

To each his own...

But, I put a bullet guide in my Saiga. But! Did not shorten the mag catch to fit standard AK mags (easy enough to do).

I did a light removal of material from the underside of the AK mag rear locking tab. And, removed just a little material off the plastic stock Saiga mag top front where it hit against the bullet guide.

What this means, is I can now use the hi-cap AK mags (with the slight mod) AND Saiga mags (with the slight mod.). I'm not up the creek if some decent priced Saiga hip-cap synthetics ever come around. And if not, there are plenty of cheap AK around to use (so modified).

That was MY approach -it would have been different if making a milspec clone AK was my goal...it wasn't.

I cased the mags together & did a distinctive color on 'em to keep form mixing them up...

Saigamags.jpg

FWIW, Lollygagger :unsure:

Edited by lollygagger
Hello all -new to the forum but I do have some advice on modifing ak mags,,be carefull with jb weld its a wonderful product but after shooting 100 rds thru my mag the jbweld broke free causing gun to jamb. This could be dangerous I then went to Home Depot and bought 1/8 round rod and had a good freind weld it on. I've did about 9 mags this way and never had a problem shoot thru 600rds and perform perfectly. You still have to grind the back catch . As much time and :killer: energy I have put into modifing mags I believe it would have been easier to do a feed ramp...

Friends that weld are the best :super: My one buddy said he wouldn't mind welding up my 3 AK mags......

Quick question though.....where do you get the metal for the mod? Just whatever steel is laying around?