Best distance to zero a .308? (Saiga 16")

I prefer a +/-200 meter zero for my other calibers (.223, 5.45, and 7.62x39) and am new to the .308. I have access to a 50-yard indoor range for a quick zero.

Anyone have trajectories for a 16" .308?

I found a trajectory calculator.

It looks like if I'm zeroed at 25 yards, and 1.2" high at 50 yards, I'll be zeroed at 200 yards.

I prefer a +/-200 meter zero for my other calibers (.223, 5.45, and 7.62x39) and am new to the .308. I have access to a 50-yard indoor range for a quick zero.

I found a trajectory calculator.

It looks like if I'm zeroed at 25 yards, and 1.2" high at 50 yards, I'll be zeroed at 200 yards.

http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/pejsa...nballistics.xls is a pretty good ballistic calculator, as long as everything's supersonic.

On something with the scope mounted so high, you might want to try just putting the scope on line of sight with the barrel - so you're always shooting low - it makes shooting on slopes a lot easier, and once you get used to it, isn't a disadvantage at all, with a scope like a POSP

It all depends on how far you usually shoot the rifle. I have a 16" Saiga as well as an M1A and M700 police/sniper, all in .308. If I had more than 200 yards I'd zero them for 300 yards as the ballistics work out pretty well from 100 to 400 yards with boat tail match bullets. The Saiga has less muzzle velocity resulting in a bit more bullet drop over the same range. It also has a 1.5 power extended eye relief scope and isn't intended to be a long range sniper(although it is very accurate for the price). I zero the Saiga for 200 yds figuring it's my quick handling intermediate range weapon. The low power scope gives me a much better sight picture and accuracy than the open sight ever did and is super quick to get on target. If I ever need to use the rifle it will be from 50 to 300 yards and I can aim pretty much to center mass with the military ammo I use in it. Dpo a web search for ballistic calculator and you'll coime up with a few sites that eill let you compute bullet drop over any distance with any bullet. The thing is to be realistic in your expectations. When I walk the the woods in the northeast I think about the longest shot I could get off and its rarely very far. Even if there was a need to shoot down a trail or road, there's always a curve within a couple hundred yards.