Saiga utility rifle

I recived my Saiga 16" synthetic about two months ago, I was wanting a good hunting/utility rifle. I was very impressed with the quality, but decided to upgrade a few things on my own. I added a recoil buffer from Buffer Tec first, the addad a Beartooth stock extenstion and comb raising kit. I also added Marine epoxy/clay to the grip as a palm swell with finger grooves as I found the grip alittle crowded. I covered the fore-grip and stock with Brownells spray grit epoxy to give it alittle traction, which turned out great! I had the lower receiver and barrel cryo-froze to relieve any barrel stress and extend its life. Right now the rifle is at Williams Trigger to see what he can do with it, I am hopeful for 3 1/2 pds. I put a 4.5x14 Nikon on a weaver side-rail mount made in Russia, so far it seems to work great! When I bought the gun I was hoping for 2MOA, so far using 165gr. Sierra BTHPM I have been right at, or alittle under 1MOA! These rifles are the best little secrert out there IMHO, I have freinds whop have paid three times more than I have put into this rifle, and thier .308 shoots no better, and for sure is no more reliable. Its nice to see that there are others with the same results! :rolleyes:

I got a 4 round group about 2MOA with open sights with Winchester 150 grain soft tips, my groups with Mil Surp were quite a bit larger. I have put a Blackjack (hard) buffer inside, worked the trigger and put a Pachmeyer recoil pad on the outside of mine. Still haven't gotten serious with it yet though. Damn fine rifle for $300. I will probably go with a different stock to get a better trigger and maybe a scope in the future.

If you know anyone in your area that can cryo-freeze the barrel and action, someone who will actually do the job, give it a try! I have had several rifles cryo-ed in the last few years, and I swear by it. It really gets rid of and "thrown" shots from a hot or even cold barrel groups. It costs 35$ here for it to be done, I also use Moly in the barrel and on my rounds, I don't know if it helps accuracy, but it will keep you from having to clean after you shoot, and it doubles your barrel life.

:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had 2 25-06 savages done by Pacific Cryo about 5 yrs. ago cost was about 35.00 a gun, accuracy is great with 85 and 100gr. noslers . 100yd groups are usually a ragged hole in .3's I molycoated my bullets . Nosler loading manual ballistics shows bullet drop way more than it actually is, so freeze your gun, paint your bullets or bore it works for me. //www.pacific-cryo.com/

lletronshootit, how do you like your 25-06? I snagged an Erfurt Mauser which had been sporterized and the box is long enough for 30-06. Since I already have a 30-06 and a 270, I was thinking of converting this one to 25-06. I have heard that the 28 inch barrel was optimum for velocity, but I was thinking that a 26 inch would be more handy. What do you think?

Shiek I am a long fan of the 25-06, it covers varmint to elk, where I live woodchuck to deer. I have had some great friends that were one rifle farmers there was nothing safe groundhog size out to 5oo+ yds. I was made a believer and used to reload for these guys long before I owned one. I too have owned the 270 and many others but the versatility of the 25-06 and the accuracy outweigh the others imo. My son and I have 2 savage 25-06's, one 112BVSS w/26" bbl. and one 110FP tactical 24" bbl. Both are tricked out tuned triggers, cryoed, choate sniper stocks, 8-32x scopes. Very effective, very accurate. I like the 26' bbl. but I never chronoed it against the 24'', chrony needs work blackpowder not for chrony.

I won't bore you with loads but if you ever need some advice from another guys burnt powder I've been there.

• 2 years later...