Sniper Rifle (saiga?)

Best Saiga for sniping at 500 yards line?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Best Saiga for sniping at 500 yards line?

• Saiga 223
    • Saiga 7.62
    • Saiga 308

Hello guys,

"admins/mods" Please allow this thread in the 3 saiga sections so i can get feedback for all saiga users,

Thanks a lot.

a while ago and post a similar post hoping you guys could help me pick a saiga, since i saw a very close score between .223 or 7.62 i end up buying an AK,

pict0664oi1.jpg

but the (saiga bug bite me againg) and this time is a hard one... :eek: so here i am, asking you all, one more time... which would be a good choice as a sniper weapon, .223, 7.62 or 308 and also a 16'' or 20'' barrel for (under 400/600 yards) keep in mind, accuracy, stopping power and ammo price ..., its going to be for shooting stuff like gallons of milk, dummies and steal plates at around 500 yards... but i also want a Sniper look to it. and one more thing, i'm not playing on doing a convertion, i have other weapons that i'll name just for refference,

Remington 700 with a 4-16X50 tactical scope (mil-dots)

AK-47

Yugo SKS

Mosin-Nagant 91/30

Mosin-Nagant M44

Savage .22

Thank you all for your replay!

Edited by Sarduy

sniper rifle sounds rather ominous....dummies, eh? but I digress....

If range is what your looking for, you can forget 7.62x39 or 5.56x45. They really only good up to about 300-400 meters, and that's pushing it, especially with a Kalashnikov based weapon. .308 is the bet you'll do for a Saiga.

If you really want a sniper style weapon, fine tune one of your Mosin Nagants and get a good scope.

Or, step up to a Rock River Arms LAR-8 24" S/S Bull Barrel .308 "Varmint" rifle.

Not certain what type of "varmint" would require a .308 load, but that weapon has "sniper" written all over it.

-".308- Poor man's .50 cal."

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

I agree... at those ranges, the Saiga is not what you want for a "Sniper" weapon.

In fact, you already have one... your Remington 700 (if in a decent caliber) is already going to shoot far better than anything else you have at those ranges. If not... think, perhaps about something else, like a Savage model 12 F-T/R... That will shoot VERY WELL at the ranges you want to shoot at.

If you want "looks"... perhaps a Romanian PSL ( Romak 3, SSG-97) is more to your needs? It will reach out to 400-500 yards and hit 10" plates all day long... it is 7.62 X 54R and takes the same rounds as your Mosin Nagants. ( Although you want to only fire LIGHT BALL, not heavy ball out of the PSL's.) That will give you almost DRAGUNOV look and decent performance.

:smoke:

.308 sure, but if you really, REALLY want a mil grade sniper system, look here::::

http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_82.aspx

it can destroy unexploded ordinance. It can stop a truck at a mile. shoot a deer in the ass, and all you'll have left is the head for mounting........

:super: :super:

Edited by rangerdavid
That is probably a little out of the "sniper rifle" budget... but an excellent choice were it not to be!! :up:

Yeah, lol, just a tad on the expensive side....... actually a neighbor of mine has one, but only the single shot, not with the 10 round clip. It costs around $5000. Still too rich for my blood....

I bought a "cheap" Vulcan .50 BMG... after rifle, optics, case, reloading equipment, ammo, bore snake, etc..etc... HOLY COW...

Although I would have needed all that with a Barrett too... I got out $3200.00 cheaper... but it still wasn't "CHEAP"! LOL

• 1 month later...

You guys are starting it again. The guy asked WHAT KIND OF SAIGA IS BEST FOR A SNIPER RIFLE, not what he should get instead!

If i wanted a sniper saiga i'd go for .308 and the long barrel (20 inch?)

You guys are starting it again. The guy asked WHAT KIND OF SAIGA IS BEST FOR A SNIPER RIFLE, not what he should get instead!

Silk purse out of sows ear comes to mind for some reason. Sniper rifle by definition is a rifle used for shooting with great accuracy over long distances. Saiga just doesn't qualify IMO. Just another thought.

Silk purse out of sows ear comes to mind for some reason. Sniper rifle by definition is a rifle used for shooting with great accuracy over long distances. Saiga just doesn't qualify IMO. Just another thought.

I agree w/ you by the strict definition of sniper rifle in Western usage. On the other hand if he means it more in the sense the SVD was in Soviet use, the 308 is a decent match. A 308 probably won't be able to do head shots consistently at 500 yards, but it should be able to keep them COM.

.308 sure, but if you really, REALLY want a mil grade sniper system, look here::::

http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_82.aspx

it can destroy unexploded ordinance. It can stop a truck at a mile. shoot a deer in the ass, and all you'll have left is the head for mounting........

:super: :super:

And of course.........you'll need the spent uranium penetrator rounds! :lolol:

(I have a close friend that owns that combo.......but then again, he has money!)

huh, i somehow messed up my edit and got another post, but 7.62 X39 wouldn't hit anything unless its large at 500 yards coming from a saiga, and .223 wouldn't even be worth trying

Edited by Vultite

I've known guys who hunted deer w/ a 50. I've been told they see less tissue damage than if they used a 7mm Mag. Supposedly the 50 punches through instead of blowing up & dumping the energy. Now on the other hand you would have to be careful because you could probably kill 4 or 5 deer if you lined them up (in)correctly. :killer:

I've known guys who hunted deer w/ a 50. I've been told they see less tissue damage than if they used a 7mm Mag. Supposedly the 50 punches through instead of blowing up & dumping the energy. Now on the other hand you would have to be careful because you could probably kill 4 or 5 deer if you lined them up (in)correctly. :killer:

Deer, Moose, Elephants................Assorted Vehicles............Let's see how many hotel rooms that would travel through?....................I'll stick with my 22-250, thank u.

(But then Texas deer are doggy sized!)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd agree. If you're dead-set on a Saiga for a sniper, get the longest barrel you can for accuracy's sake. As mentioned before, though, fine-tuning one of your other existing weapons might be a better choice, or the Romak Drag knock-off. Depending on who you talk to, they seem to be pretty good out to 600 meters or so.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

saiga really arnt a sniper rifle just because of their design and the same goes for all ak rifles. you need a bolt action rifle to really "snipe". ie mossberg 4x4 in .338 or a rem 700. probably the most affordable. i chose a mossberg 4x4 in .338 for my "sniper" setup.

• 1 month later...
Hello guys,

"admins/mods" Please allow this thread in the 3 saiga sections so i can get feedback for all saiga users,

Thanks a lot.

a while ago and post a similar post hoping you guys could help me pick a saiga, since i saw a very close score between .223 or 7.62 i end up buying an AK,

pict0664oi1.jpg

but the (saiga bug bite me againg) and this time is a hard one... :eek: so here i am, asking you all, one more time... which would be a good choice as a sniper weapon, .223, 7.62 or 308 and also a 16'' or 20'' barrel for (under 400/600 yards) keep in mind, accuracy, stopping power and ammo price ..., its going to be for shooting stuff like gallons of milk, dummies and steal plates at around 500 yards... but i also want a Sniper look to it. and one more thing, i'm not playing on doing a convertion, i have other weapons that i'll name just for refference,

Remington 700 with a 4-16X50 tactical scope (mil-dots)

AK-47

Yugo SKS

Mosin-Nagant 91/30

Mosin-Nagant M44

Savage .22

Thank you all for your replay!

I'm planning on getting a mossburg 100atr for a cheap long range gun and modify the heck out of it. I will use it over 200 yards as it's the limit of my saiga 7.62x39. I'd say mod the Remington for long range and use your saiga as a room clearing/spray and pray gun. 308 has the best ballistics and is actually what I'm going with when I get my 100atr so for a saiga it would be the best for range. The longer barrel is going to be better for accuracy but it will pull your round out of super sonic faster so if you are going to put a muzzle brake on the end go with the shorter barrel and if you are not putting anything on the end go with the 20.

Good luck and have fun,

Merritt Roseberry

USMC Vet.