Best saiga for sniping at 500 yards

post-15697-1236361317.jpg

The word "sniper" means various of things to alot of different people.

* With a delta force sniper, a .50 caliber shot half way across across a country may define peoples idea of a sniper

* To a varmiter, an eyeball shot to a groundhog at 700 yards defines a sniper

* To a hunter, a perfect shot on a running ram across a rugged canyon would indicate sniper-like skill

* To the marine scout sniper, being able to move in and out of position unnoticed, survive for extended periods without support collecting intel, and administering accurate fire undetected is sniper skill

* To a police sharpshooter, Putting that bad guy down with a ultra-precise shot at less than 200 yards will get you called a sniper

* The guys who were originally called snipers, they made precise shots at little birds (snipes) from short distances

* To troops and civilians on the ground in conflicts all over the world, anyone making precise shots from a concealed position, whether it be from a window accross the street or out of a storm drain at passing vehicles, is a sniper.

As for the saiga 500 yd shot, The 308 is your best option. And if you are hellbent on doing it with a military-grade semi-auto rifle, the Saiga is also you cheapest option. If you are not Hellbent on a mag fed semi-auto, the Savage option is good advise.

I am currently building and testing a 308 Saiga and trying to get some accurate distance shots. With $1,200 optics, a re-crown, benchrest, meaured distance, known wind speed, direction, tempurature, and humidity, magazine out single shot, and match ammo - I can currently get about a 10" 5-shot group at 500 yards (best) and 1" at 100yds. I am currently changing optics, mount, and going to test different loads and will post results in a couple of weeks.

Please be minful that this is the internet and people greatly exagerate both extremes of every topic. People who say its imposible to hit with a saiga at 500yds are wrong, they assume this because they can not do it. But also, the guy in this thread who says he gets 1 MOA at 500 yards with iron sights only is really full of it, because he is a mall ninja.

Very good post!

:up:

This is one of the best descriptions that I've read. Well done!

I have been wondering for a long time what all the talk is about that sniping thing, I have read the treads and rationalized the meaning until I FINALLY FOUND OUT WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT

See Attached

I just dont understand what all the hype is a about a little bird.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gravedigging... Oh what the hell, the topic is good.       Anyone who has been in the Army or Marine Corps has been taught to know their way around a rifle and shoot with reasonable accuracy at 3

I wonder which would make the best Motocross dirt bike, a Harley Davidson Electra glide or a Honda Goldwing? I need to start a poll?

Except the OP was interested in SAIGAs, not Savages....................

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
Aw...

Isn't it cute when a boy falls in love with a new toy!

Maybe he ment lay down effective fire at 500 yds rather than snipe. The Saiga should be able to keep heads down at that range but deer hunting or tight groups? Not sure dont have a range that goes that far.

Clipped from the OP's first post: "its going to be for shooting stuff like gallons of milk, dummies and steal plates at around 500 yards... but i also want a Sniper look to it."

Not a "sniper rifle" Just something that he'll think looks "kewl"

• 2 months later...
The word "sniper" means various of things to alot of different people.

* With a delta force sniper, a .50 caliber shot half way across across a country may define peoples idea of a sniper

* To a varmiter, an eyeball shot to a groundhog at 700 yards defines a sniper

* To a hunter, a perfect shot on a running ram across a rugged canyon would indicate sniper-like skill

* To the marine scout sniper, being able to move in and out of position unnoticed, survive for extended periods without support collecting intel, and administering accurate fire undetected is sniper skill

* To a police sharpshooter, Putting that bad guy down with a ultra-precise shot at less than 200 yards will get you called a sniper

* The guys who were originally called snipers, they made precise shots at little birds (snipes) from short distances

* To troops and civilians on the ground in conflicts all over the world, anyone making precise shots from a concealed position, whether it be from a window accross the street or out of a storm drain at passing vehicles, is a sniper.

you forgot one...

* a French guy hitting anything before rasing the white flag is a sniper :haha2:

Okay, I'm gonna hijack this thread.

Really guys what is the practical range for a Saiga .308?

With 16" barrel?:

With 21" barrel?:

Of course I am asking for practical range with some decent optic with say 16X mag with A.O. out to infinity.

Just wondering what I can expect to get at a range. BTW, my range goes out as far as 700yds.

I recently was able to hit a metal target at 300yds with my 4x mag scope with fixed parallax at 100yds. Probably lucky but it took a few trys before it happened.

BTW about that guy hitting out to 500yds with a 16" barrell using Spanish ammo. Really?? No B.S.?

Not an easy question FC. BTW very jealous of having a 700M shooting range, I have just got to move out west one day.

After you get past the limits of the ammo its a matter of shooting skill in any 4 MOA rifle, the .308 is capable of 700M surely. The S308 seems to fall in the 2.5 MOA range at least so effective range of the S308 would be depending on who is shooting out to 700M. By effective I mean laying down aimed fire for either suppression or hits. Consistent hits would be at a lesser distance but entirely dependent on shooting skill and weather conditions. The military uses the 300M figure as a tactical assumption for laying down fields of fire or rather they used to when the 308 was our round of choice.

The 21" will give about 150FPS greater velocity than the 16" and at long ranges that would matter a little. Perhaps more important is that the 16" is easier to handle and more forgiving of shooter flaws while being less efficient. The 21" gains greater accuracy with iron sights and allows you to go to a shorter barrel if you wish.

• 1 month later...
-The S=.308 is the best for longer range work, BUT 500 YARDS? that is the territory of $$$$$$ semi's amd most decent bolts. If you think you are going there for less than $500 --keep dreaming,

I don't know where you get your info but planty of rifles can shoot 500yds no problem. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to do it. In fact if I can't shoot a rifle 500yds withought a scope I don't even want it which is why I'm in this forum to figure out if this rifle can preform at well over 500yds.

Just to clerify, I'm not saying every rifle can but plenty of em can.

And the steel plate thing, In the Marine Corp and out I have kept my 500yrd group so about 5" and I have never used a scope in my life. My next rifle will be my first scoped rifle.

Let me steer this back in the direction that the op probably intended.

This is an ak remake so dose it have the same accuracy problems or is it actually usefull at lets say over 800yds. (500yds is a joke)

So you are actually saying that you can do a 5 inch group at 500 yards with open sights?

Are you sure thats what you want to say?

So you are actually saying that you can do a 5 inch group at 500 yards with open sights?

Are you sure thats what you want to say?

I've seen on this on qual ranges. Maybe not all 10 rounds but some guys shoot a center mass group that I could cover with my hand with 2 or 3 flyers. This is on an issue M16, prone, loop sling, and someone who knows what they are doing behind the trigger. I've pulled off head shots on the standard silhouette target for this range with open sights. I'd already qual'd as expert before heading to the 500 yard line (I was at 40 points) so I just started dicking around. I aimed high on the torso and started walking my rounds to the head. I missed three in the neck area so I think I ended up with a 47 that year.

• 2 weeks later...
Desert Dog (member here), claims to have made an MOA accurate Saiga .308. When you see the work he put into one (check pictures post), you start to wonder if it could be possible. He put a lot of work into that thing.

Just re-crowned the barrel and used good ammo didn't he? The other mods wouldn't effect group size unless I missed something.

• 3 weeks later...

308_target_9-22-09.jpg

308_target_9-22-09_closeup.jpg

Left over Pizza Hut box bottom provided a target for yesterday's shooting of some Remington 150 gr PSP bullets I bought at Dunham's for only $14.99 box. I still have the receipt. Bought 2 boxes. This is a 5 shot group at 100 yards. I shot and couldn't see where it was hitting. Shot again, still not sign of where it was going, to kept shooting the five and last one kind of looked like the air started to open up on the black magic marker bulls eye. Went up to the target and realized why I didn't see them scattered around the bulls eye.

308_saiga_rem150psp.jpg

308Saiga_Rem150_pizzatarget.jpg

So.... I would vote on the Saiga in .308 as one that would be the best candidate for hitting out there to 300 and 500 yards. I don't think it is a sniper rifle, but it would definitely make zombies (that lived) duck for cover at 300+ yards. And, with .308, it better be substantial cover!

Edited by Darth AkSarBen

Darth,

You haven't done a barrel crown, have you? I'd be really interested to see what kind of groups you get after crowning.

Also, .6" @ 100 yds should give between 6" and 10" at 1000yds, right? Do you ever have an opportunity to shoot long range?

Nope, no barrel crown. I don't fix someting that ain't broke. You put a crown on a barrel when needed. There is nothing to say that this crown is defective, least not in some of the targets. You'll know. I had a Savagae that at even 50 yards would keyhole bullets (.223) Looking at the barrel muzzle, it had some flaw in the rifling. I had a gunsmith cut about 3/4" off the end of the rifle, eliminating the flaw, and re-crowne it. Shot one hole groups after that.

I lived in NW Nebraska, pretty open and very rural. VERY open. Longest shot I took and killed the deer was around 800 to 900 yards. I used a bolt action 7mm Remington Magnum at the time. It was a flat shooter, and did well. Other than that, most deer were shot at 200-400 yard ranges. Some though, as close as 40 yards.

Also it doesn't quite work out that way at 1000 yards. It's expotentially (if that is the right word) greater the size possibility the greater the distance. Eg. .5 at 100 does not translate to 1" at 200 and 2" at 400 yards. It's a little more complicated than that. Stability of the bullet, the twist of the rifle, the ballistic coeficient of the bullet to resist wind and drop, windage, etc. etc. Even when a bullet goes sonic after being sub-sonic, it can start a wobble that decreases the accuracy at longer ranges. Some bullets are better than others. Boat tail bullets have that advantage of staying super sonic longer, but when they go sonic, they destabilize sometimes worse that flat bottom bullets. Even the design of a bullet is against it; heavier in the rear than the front. Only with the spin from the rifling, and the concentricity of the bullet do you have the possibilities of long long range accurate shots.

Darth,

You haven't done a barrel crown, have you? I'd be really interested to see what kind of groups you get after crowning.

Also, .6" @ 100 yds should give between 6" and 10" at 1000yds, right? Do you ever have an opportunity to shoot long range?

Look up Minute of Angle in shooting. A 1MOA group at 100 yards is a one inch group, 200 yards 2 inch group, and so on. Anything worse than 4MOA is considered inaccurate generally while under 2MOA is accurate for an auto loading rifle.

308_target_9-22-09.jpg

308_target_9-22-09_closeup.jpg

Left over Pizza Hut box bottom provided a target for yesterday's shooting of some Remington 150 gr PSP bullets I bought at Dunham's for only $14.99 box. I still have the receipt. Bought 2 boxes. This is a 5 shot group at 100 yards. I shot and couldn't see where it was hitting. Shot again, still not sign of where it was going, to kept shooting the five and last one kind of looked like the air started to open up on the black magic marker bulls eye. Went up to the target and realized why I didn't see them scattered around the bulls eye.

308_saiga_rem150psp.jpg

308Saiga_Rem150_pizzatarget.jpg

So.... I would vote on the Saiga in .308 as one that would be the best candidate for hitting out there to 300 and 500 yards. I don't think it is a sniper rifle, but it would definitely make zombies (that lived) duck for cover at 300+ yards. And, with .308, it better be substantial cover!

Wow thats some nice shooting!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...