Best saiga for sniping at 500 yards

Many years ago in the beginning with the saiga's first being offered to us. There were a few shooters hitting gongs at around 450yds. with the 16" barreled saiga. Now with that kind of accuracy can we nail it down to shooting smaller targets at 500yds. I believe shooting another 50yds is possible. I think we can find a better ammo to go farther out. Between the 16" barrel and the 21" barreled 308's there has to be a point where the 21" barrel will exceed the 16" barrel in accuracy. I'm not sure if anyone has compared them yet at the farther distances. I'm sure at some farther distance the 21" barrel will shoot more accurately.

Some suggested the SA M1a too but i'm not sure about there quality lately too. Thats why i chose the saiga in the first place. I read were some guys have sent there new M1a's back twice to be repaired thats BS after paying $1,200 for an M1a? At $1,200 how many of my 308 saiga's at $307 OTD at the time? I did and they all functioned awesome and are very accurate too. I glad i seen the new russian saiga's when i went to purchase a new M1a. I saved without the geko......I don't miss owing an M1a at all.

Edited by Unknown Poster
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gravedigging... Oh what the hell, the topic is good.       Anyone who has been in the Army or Marine Corps has been taught to know their way around a rifle and shoot with reasonable accuracy at 3

I wonder which would make the best Motocross dirt bike, a Harley Davidson Electra glide or a Honda Goldwing? I need to start a poll?

Except the OP was interested in SAIGAs, not Savages....................

Posted Images

Gravedigging... Oh what the hell, the topic is good.

Anyone who has been in the Army or Marine Corps has been taught to know their way around a rifle and shoot with reasonable accuracy at 300-500yards.

Boys in the Box are regularly pulling off 500-600yard shots with their issue weapons & milspec ammo, using naught but various red dot sights.

And plenty of us civilians have had informal/formal marksmanship training via our Father/Relatives, the Boy Scouts of America, Civilian Marksmanship Program, RWVA's 'Appleseed Project' and other courses.

I've had the pleasure of all of the above civilian programs, and have another 'Appleseed' coming up in April.

A few of older folks actually remember when our public schools offered target shooting as a regular elective.

But I'm not quite that old :rolleyes:

500 yards, aka, 'The Rifleman's Quarter Mile' is not that hard with a decent rifle, be it bolt or semi. A decent rifleman should be able to consistently put rounds into a human torso sized center of mass.

My local range goes out to 450 yards and has various steel targets at 100, 200, 300 & 400. I can consistently ring the 12" gong at 400 all day long with my AR, and with my S-.308.ver21 can ring the silhouettes.

Is that Sniping? That depends on who is defining the word.

Is the Saiga capable? Yes, but, it will depend on the individual weapon's inherent accuracy and the shooter's skills.

The S-.308 would be my hands down favorite for shooting at 500 yards.

Screw this sniper bullshit, the real question is, "Are you a proficient rifleman/marksman?"

• Like 3

Well said, CR. Too many people get hung up on buying the latest "tacticool" or "sniper" equipment. It's not the tool so much as the hand that wields it. Most untrained people will have trouble hitting a 4' gong at 200 yds, but with some training and the most basic of tools, ie. iron sighted rifle of almost ANY caliber, hitting a man-sized target at 500 yds is within reason.

It's great fun rolling empty soda cans around at 200yds with a 22, and decent practice.

Here is an article on my blog about the concept being discussed. The lead photo is of a young man with a 16" Saiga 308 hitting steel at 700 yards.

Warriortalknews.com

Funny, I'd just come back here to post a link to this article that I'd posted in another section,

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=58853&st=0&p=558816&hl=sniper&fromsearch=1entry558816

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an article on my blog about the concept being discussed. The lead photo is of a young man with a 16" Saiga 308 hitting steel at 700 yards.

Warriortalknews.com

Funny, I'd just come back here to post a link to this article that I'd posted in another section,

http://forum.saiga-1...=1

I enjoyed the article you linked to thanks. I may take gabe up on his advice about having the saiga 308 tuned.......its my next purchase.

Edited by minnpatriot

there is a guy at our gun club that hits steel all day long with a crappy psl at 500 yards...in my opinion the saiga 308 is a more capable weapon. It should be possible to hit man sized targets all day long at 500, 600 even 700 yards.

Crappy PSL? Pssshhhhfff

After I reworked mine and got 5 spare mags, it's been quite an enjoyable and accurate gun. I don't have access to any real range, so I'm stuck with a cornfield and what ever I can sight in on.

First time out shooting beyond 100 yards, I went for roughly 400m and adjusted via the reticle and BDC turret on the POSP. Was able to pin a corn stalk or 2 at that range. I don't think they're crappy if you want to spend the time to basically redo all the internals.

The whole accuracy argument for guns has always baffled me. You can buy a rifle off the shelf that will hit man sized targets 600-1000 yards away repeatably, damn near anything is capable of it if it can reach. Then to get a rifle that can keep all the bullet holes in a pretty little 1" group at 100 yards for a couple grand more, and sacrifice weight, size, and usability. AR15s seem to be an exception since mine is relatively stock, but my first time out at 100 yards I had a nice quarter sized 3 shot group, tipped my hat and went home.

I just got a saiga 308 16" today and ordered a conversion kit from CSS. Threw my old SVD style saiga stock on it and the TIP2 off my PSL on, boresighted and had fun. It's a nice gun, I think I'm going to end up making it as light and compact as possible and putting my PK-AS on it. Need more money, gah, must have magazines!

Edited by Tombs

I musta gotten a good PSL, then, because mine shoots about a 6" group at 400yds with the nut behind the buttplate a little loose. Granted, that's using the 4x IOR scope that came with it.

Soon as it dries out around here, I can mess around with the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 mildot. Well, soon as I finish the stock and drop in the G2 trigger (next weekend).

To answer the OP, Saiga .308, 21" barrel, and at least as much as you spent on the rifle spent on a good piece of glass to go on top. A 1.5moa rifle will give you torso shots out to about 1200yds (18" group at that distance), if you have the glass and skills to back it up. For good, lowcost glass, try Vortex Optical, but Kalinka Optics has 8x POSP scopes for reasonable prices, too.

I live about a mile from Red Jacket Firearms, great folks btw but expensiveeee, and getting a Saiga "tuned" is a bit of mystery to me. Sounds like a lot of money for little return. Bolts and carriers can be polished on your own as well just about any other part of the rifle so what is the target of such work?