New owner here, hi all..

Hi all, I'm proud to say that I now own a Saiga 12 RAK from Atlantic Firearms and Red Jacket Firearms. I'd like to say that Atlantic was great to do business with. They answered all my questions promptly and shipped quickly upon payment. I can safely say I will be ordering from them again. Red Jacket also gets my praise, the weapon was in perfect condition and the workmanship is top notch in my opinion. I still want a Tromix, but this weapon is very high quality as well. BTW, I have no ties to any of these companies.

I received the weapon about two weeks ago, and haven't been able to fire it until this morning. My friend and I went out to a secluded spot out in BFE to try this beast out. First impression.... WOW! I've never had so much fun firing a shotgun! I fired nearly 300 shells of 00 buck and slugs in roughly 45 min! I'm truly impressed with the capabilities of this weapon. I'm not a huge guy, yet the recoil was so very comfortable. It beats the s**t out of my old trusty 590 A1 as far as recoil. Like I said, we fired a substantial amount of lead, yet I could have kept going all day. Even now my shoulder is practically 100%! I'm not sore at all! This is far and away the best shotgun I've ever owned, and I'm a shotgun guy. I'm still excited, I just got home.

Here's the rundown, in the first 100 shells, it failed to feed twice. Both failures occured with the AGP 10 rnd. mags, somewhere near the middle of the mag dump. The factory five rnd mag was flawless from the start. After about 100 shells, all mags functioned perfectly. I think I've worked the feeding problem out through firing it out. I'll continue testing.

The ammo was all Winchester 00 buck and full power slugs. I did fire some low recoil slugs as well, which worked fine on setting number one. I didn't try any birdshot this time out, but I will soon.

Now here's the problem. Near the end of the shooting session, approaching 250 shells fired, the trigger would not reset itself upon firing a shell. It would stay in the rearward position. I had to manually pull it back into the proper firing postion with my fingers. This happened four times and each time I had to pull the trigger back out to continue firing. The weird thing is, it would do that and I'd fix it, then it would fire several magazines before happening again. It seemed the trigger would do this randomly. Could it be from fouling up the works due to firing several hundred rounds in short time? It is pretty dirty right now. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I'm new, but feel free to ask my anything about the weapon. I'll try to share any way I can. Sorry, I dont own a camera.

Eddie

Eddie welcome,

Did you get the one that has the mp5 front hg on it? If so how do you like it and what about the angle of the rails?

Thanks guys, AllJacks, actually I got the one with the Russian handguard with the lower rail. This rail worked pretty well today, it stayed cool enough to fire as many rounds as stated above. I don't know about the mp5 rail, but it looks slanted.

So I may be going back out tommorrow, I'll see if this problem persists.

Trigger not resetting? :cryss:

Try removing the top cover and check to make sure both hammer spring legs are resting on top of the trigger bars. They apparently can have a habit of slipping off. You might have to slightly bend them outward to make em stay. ;)

(Just to give credit where its due, this is not my own fix. This is from Tony's list of operational tips on the Tromix website. Thanks Tony!) :up:

Eddiemossberg I want to welcome to the Saiga shooter forum. I agree that you can shoot the S-12 all day without it beating your shoulder. I have a Verona semi auto which beats your shoulder almost like a pump gun. The AGP magazines need breaking in to function well. I took a fired Russian steel case and hand cycled it in my ten rounder until it would move smoothly without binding. The next time I took it to the range it fed flawlessly. I also got the Taiwanese fiver rounders and they work flawlessly as well.

I experienced a similar situation with my trigger locking up when firing at the range. I thought the hammer or trigger pins got loose but when I opened it I found the hammer stuck in the trigger group. I released it and tried to duplicate the condition but couldn't get it to lock up. I fired it at the range and this time I had to reset the trigger one time to continue shooting. Ask Alantic Firearms which trigger group they used. There's another posting on this problem and it also happened with a Tapco FCG.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=24914

If anyone knows what causes this condition and has a solution please post it. I'm using Tapco's single hook FCG with the hammer ground to allow for the bolt hold open to fit in the receiver and to clear the box in front of the trigger. (I don't know what the box is for either)

I used Century's FCG in my 7.62x39 Saiga when I converted it but didn't have the same problem but had to trim the disconnector to eliminate the painful trigger slap. This may be a problem peculiar to the S-12.

Edited by uzitiger
Trigger not resetting? :cryss:

Try removing the top cover and check to make sure both hammer spring legs are resting on top of the trigger bars. They apparently can have a habit of slipping off. You might have to slightly bend them outward to make em stay. ;)

(Just to give credit where its due, this is not my own fix. This is from Tony's list of operational tips on the Tromix website. Thanks Tony!) :up:

OK I went ahead and cleaned the weapon up and looking inside, it appears that the spring is only on top of the trigger bar on the left hand side, not the right. The sping leg on the right seems to holdthe BHO in place. So is this right hand hand spring leg supposed to slip over the right hand trigger bar? It looks as though it could be made to slip over. If so, what technique should I use. I wish I had a camera. Thanks.

BOTH legs of the hammer spring should be over the tabs of the trigger. They may need slight adjustment to make them stay in position. don't be afraid, grab some needle nosed pliers and give em a tweak... lift up move it to the left, let it go... they will be fine. it MAY need to be bent slightly if it WANTS to continue to bend towards the right hand side of the receiver when you start shooting again... If so.. just bend it inwards a little with those same pliers, and you will be good to go! It is an AK after all... :up:

Welcome... and good luck... you will not have any trouble after ya give the right hand side hammer spring leg a little bend to keep it over the trigger tab.

:smoke: