Based on the maxim that the pistol is only for use in getting to your long gun I use this solution. My .45 is behind my head but I think this is the thing to grab when investigating things that go bump in the night. I can't feature my bride laying down cover fire in the hallway to get me to the gun safe. :)

post-3915-1207934824_thumb.jpg

I really don't have the luxury of being able to use a long gun in the house. The house is small and has cinder block walls. That and the houses in my neighborhood are very close together. I've got this feeling that if I were to fire off a round of say .223 or 7.62X39 it would go through my house and possible kill or injure a neighbor. On that note I keep a Ruger MKII heavy barrel and Beretta 84B next to the mattress. This is why I need a shot gun. I figure a .410 or .20 with bird shot would at least get an intruder to run the fuck out. That and the damage wouldn't really be that bad in the house.

I keep the G26 in a drawyer right next to my head along with a wicked bright but compact flashlight, and can have them both in hand in a couple seconds at the most. I'll make sure any uninvited guests see a bright light just before I put them down and send them to the bright light in the sky.

Also my gun safe is organized from front to back with the most applicable short-range defense weapons in front: 18" 12-gauge with 5rds of 3" mag 000 buck and barrel mounted flashlight, then Saiga 7.62x39 (soon to be converted and have red-dot installed), then 10/22 with 25rd magazine, then semi-auto 30-06, then bolt-action 30-06, then .50 cal muzzle loader - and sitting up top on a shelf is my GP100...

Edited by jbauch357

In my bedroom, next to the bed is my hipoint carbine, 10 rounds of hydrashock, and its laser. If that isnt enough after the three dogs get done with them... I have enough firepower within 2 or 3 steps to take over a small government... :up:

:smoke:

I have kids so unlocked weapons are a no-no. I have a small electronic safe on my nightstand, you program a 4-digit code and the door unlocks when you type it in. Within the safe sits a S&W 640 loaded with .38+p 125 gr jhp's :devil: . The rest of my guns are in a heavy steel vault bolted to the wall of my garage. I'd like more firepower in the bedroom but my wife doesnt like guns and we have kids so this is a fair compromise.

i got mine where it should be, btw, don't be a hero and "clear" your house in the middle of the night, stay in your room so you don't walk into an ambush ;)

Some of us really dont have a choice. I live in rural Okla, and average sherrif response time is 45 mins + if they can find your place at all.

That is why I have my anklebiters, any stranger in the house will instantly be surrounded by yapping little dogs. A perp cannot hide from me.

Um, I keep a pump hogleg tucked in my Hanes. :unsure:

If it's "Banditas" like Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz (even though I don't find her totally attractive :eek: ) breaking in, I'm hopefully covered. :up::wub:

post-88-1208044053.jpg

Dogs are good, but a professional burgular will quiet them easily, once he gains entry. You need to do more.

Defense in depth, Dog(s), alarms, motion controlled lights, and THEN a weapon you are familiar with. A pistol with a safty you can't release in a panic is less usefull than a baseball bat.

I keep my S12 next to the bed at night, and lock it up in the daytime.

Interesting story:

A few months ago my friend Kelvin and I were drinking beer at my house. He fell asleep on the couch, and I went to bed. He woke up around 6AM, and started to leave. I woke up and said "later, watch out for the man." He left, and I drifted back to sleep, not bothering to get up and lock the door :huh: . In what I perceived to be 10 minutes, he came back in, or so I thought. All I saw from my room was a black dude come in the house and lay down on the couch in the exact same spot he was sleeping. I woke up a couple of hours later, walked into the living room, and find a strange black man asleep on my couch. He woke up, looked around, and was like "how'd I get in here?" I said "I don't know, but you better get the fuck out." He got up, looking around all disoriented, and said "Is this the front door?" "Yeah, beat it, motherfucker!"

Both of us are super lucky. He's lucky that a black dude had been sleeping in my house prior to his arrival, otherwise I would have put one in whoever the fuck walks into my house unannounced and uninvited, I had my pistol sitting on my nightstand and could have totally fucked his world. I'm lucky that he didn't have any ill intent, otherwise he would have cleaned me out. But after that, I always make sure the door to my condo is locked, and the front door to the building stays locked after dark.

I don't have a gun under the pillow, I met someone once who did and dreamed he was target shooting and sent a .357 JHP across the bed under the pillows, narrowly missing his wifes head.

The headboard does have 2 center drawers. Both have handguns in them. It's just a question of whether you get 15 rds of 9mm Silvertips, or 7rds of .45 Golden Sabers.

Edited by Gunfixr
I don't have a gun under the pillow, I met someone once who did and dreamed he was target shooting and sent a .357 JHP across the bed under the pillows, narrowly missing his wifes head

Sounds like an alibi for when you don't hit what you're aiming for!

i wouldnt have anything of great value next to my bed im lazy and wouldnt put away the weapon every day i just keep a pump shotgun next to the bed that way if they break in while im at work they dont get nothing but a cheap pump. nothing makes a goblin run faster than a cocking of a 12ga pump and they dont know where it came from.