Why did you go .223?

Hello-

New guy to the Forum and Saiga in general. I have a .223 Kel-Tec already. The much more sturdy Saiga is next on my list. My first inclination is to go with 7.62. And then I started think about a Saiga .223 to keep ammo to one caliber. The 7.62 just seems more "traditional" for the AK design. I am going back and forth!

Why did you go .223 over 7.62? Somebody please talk me into the .223!

Kajvid

Hello-

New guy to the Forum and Saiga in general. I have a .223 Kel-Tec already. The much more sturdy Saiga is next on my list. My first inclination is to go with 7.62. And then I started think about a Saiga .223 to keep ammo to one caliber. The 7.62 just seems more "traditional" for the AK design. I am going back and forth!

Why did you go .223 over 7.62? Somebody please talk me into the .223!

Kajvid

if you shoot at 100 yards go with the 762x39, two hundred yards go with the .223 or .308

I bought a 7.62 AK for my only carbine, then bought my .223 Saiga and converted it to save money on ammo.

Finding cheap non-steel ammo for the 7.62x39 is not possible these days since Wolf dropped their copper bullet for bi-metal.

The .223 I can reload for less than buying 7.62x39 and I have the same platform for 3-gun.

The 7.62x39 is a better round at any range compared to the .223 so I'm not sure what LEO is talking about. Last 3-gun match I smoked 3 guys in our squad shooting steel at 100-250 yards with an Aimpoint clone dot on my AK. They had 3-9x scoped AR15s. It's the shooter not the round that counts. Both guns are <400 yards in carbine configuration. If I want to reach out I'll get the .308 bolt gun out.

Because I wanted one in each caliber... I have 9 Saigas altogether... 3 X39's and 2 .223's... and one each of the rest... :up:

:smoke:

THIS is the kind of logic I like! I am fairly sure that I'll end up with one of each......at least one of each!

.223/5.56 ain't going anywhere any time soon, even former Soviet republics are going for .223/5.56 rifles...

Look at Former Soviet Republic Georgia, trying to join NATO, picked up a pile of M4's...

A lot of those countries want to join NATO, and there are a pile already in NATO.. and they use .223/5.56...

I already had a x39 AK - an AKS 56 norinco - then I got the 223 and then the 308...or maybe it was the other way around - but I wanted one of each - converted the 223 and 308 and love them all like they were my very own children!

I weighed the options between a rifle in 7.62x39 and .223. 7.62x39 rifles aren't going anywhere, SKS's and Ak's from every country from China to Egypt and back can be bought, If I want one at some point in the future, they will be there (future bans nonwithstanding). But for a .223 AK your choices are limited, and for a well made Russian .223 AK with a 20" barrel, and a price under 300$ just sounded too good to turn down. I :wub: the 20" barrel because .223 likes to go fast.

I actually ended up with one of each, .223, x39, and .308. I started with the x39 and used it for 3 gun, was actually looking for an AR for 3 gun when I found a deal on both the .223 and .308 in 16" for less than a used AR. I am a sucker for the Saigas.

What do you want to do with the rifle? That should be your basis for your caliber choice. What do you want the rifle for, where will you shoot it, how will you take care of it?

I am going to start using the .223 for 3 gun, it is cheaper for me to get in on the ammo deals with a group buy than it is for me to be the only one shooting x39. Mags are another thing though. Although, hi cap surefires are no more expensive than the high reliability HK mags my friends use.

I'd own more of them in 7.62x39 & .308 etc, but many of you are aware of why I can't...

#######################################################################

For those that don't know.. WA State has some weird laws regarding legal permanent residents and firearms...

YES, I will be getting my US citizenship.. but I cannot until mid 2010...

Already have a bunch of x39 AK homebuilds and wanted to do another gun that uses the AR mag adapter. This was just the ticket I was looking for. Pretty much bought it on a whim, but damn glad I did. If I sold off most of my inventory I'd keep my S12, Ruger USST .22LR, M92 Yugo, and This little .223 :smoke:

The rest are all fine, but these stand out to me in terms of performance and fun. The Tantal ain't bad either.

So are these AR mag converter wells still available? I thought they were all gone now? Link me please!!

It's getting to the point where you'd be more likely to find a "fart in a hurricane" regarding finding an adapter...

Check out the adapter posts in this section (.223 section)

The mag adapters can still be found if you hunt them, just no more instant gratification right now. As far as I know, all the latest ORF .223 Galil receivers are cut

to accept the mag adapters, and probably all the receivers they're making for Century. Todd had mentioned making the adapters in house on one of the forums now that the UA adapter supply has dried up. My guess is as long as there are enough Galil parts kits to keep Century going, that at some point ORF will make the adapter too.

Just takes enough people prodding them to commit. The part itself isn't that complicated.