Why did you go .223?

Simple......Ammo availability... .223 is US made!!!

Bingo! I had a bunch of 5.56 ammo available, and was out of 7.62x39. And I refuse to pay the current prices for that stuff. (Word to the wise - stock up when ammo is cheap ;>)...

Simple......Ammo availability... .223 is US made!!!

Bingo! I had a bunch of 5.56 ammo available, and was out of 7.62x39. And I refuse to pay the current prices for that stuff. (Word to the wise - stock up when ammo is cheap ;>)...

Haven't learned a thing have ya? These are tomorrows low prices already. :)

Nothing is wrong with X39, but if imports get cut off, you're stuck with Rem, Win, Etc... no more surplus, no more Wolf of Golden Tiger or Silver Lemming or Fushia Toadfish...

That, and no Law Enforcement agency in the US uses 7.62x39 - much less the military (beyond training ammo they capture or "otherwise" procure...

For the forseeable future, Law Enforcement, The Military, The Coast Guard (not military in my book) will all be using 5.56 / .223. That means a local, domestic supply - regardless of price. If X39 can't be imported any more - It will be like .577 Nyati or .700 Nitro Express in just a few short years (maybe months..).

I remember when you could get a X39 Norinco (pre-ban, Hell before Mak90's... AK74, AK74S, AK-84, AK84S, Any of the PolyTech stuff, Egyptian Maddis, Etc...) in this country for under $400 but the only 7.62x39 ammo that was available was Norma ... at $20+ a box...(over $1.00 per round). Then came Hansen, then came PMC (Korean at the time), then Norinco, then the flood of surplus, then Wolf and the similar brands... This was the early-mid '80's thru about 2000-ish and tha' shit got cheap fast!... Something tells me we are going back to $1.00+ on 7.62x39... and soon...

Just my thoughts and opinion...

Macbeau sends...

I just happened to pick up the .223 at the gunshow. had no idea what a Saiga even was (ducks from the rocks being thrown right now). A nice gentleman standing next to me was raving about it, and said it was his fave rifle. I got the .223 on his recommendation of the availability of the round, that's all. BTW i got a .308 now too, if you have any financial sense stay away from the Saiga, it will kill your bank acct . Otherwise, welcome to the Dark Side my friend

personally I like the x39 better, as this is about the perfect round for the intended purpose of this weapon (short/intermediate range combat with quick aimed fire and possibly barrier penetration like shooting into a vehicle - and in this regard it outperforms the .223 by a long shot. Right now, I can get x39 cheaper than .223 (mail order in bulk).

I bought my .223 last and use it as a longer range plinker - and in this regard, it outperfoms the x39 and is very reliable to shot in the AK platform.

7,62x39 = SHTF

.223 = target, plinking around, and varmint hunting

IMHO, buying .223 platform because "military and police" use it is flawed logic in today's America. Look at the LA riots and Katrina. Look at ecomonic collapses in other developed nations (like Argentina); Do you realy think that the military and police are going to resupply you with ammo so you can shot bad guys? Reality shows just the opposite, they take what you have if they know you have it! When the SHTF you need to hide your capability to defend yourself from the authorities, or you WILL be the bad guy. This means stock-up on whatever you want to use before the SHTF and keep it to yourself, because you will have no outlet to resupply afterwards. Officer Stallin and Private Castro are under orders, are you going to get a box of .223 or a ride to the Superdome? Wouldnt you say a guy with 2,000 rounds of 8mm Mauser is better off than a guy with a few boxes of .223 in this situation?

Honestly?

I wanted a 7.62 - but I live in the crappy state of CT which has banned AK style rifles in 7.62x39...

Sooooooo - .223 ammo is cheaper than .308 (which ironically, is fine to buy in CT). I am sure I will end up with a .308 as well at some point. And a 7.62 if I ever move back to NY.

These are tomorrows low prices already. :)

"Tomorrows low prices" do not matter, if you stocked up yesterday!

;>)

(And FWIW, I would rather hit someone who was trying to kill me with a milspec 55 gr 5.56, than a milspec M43 7.62x39. Caveats - I'm dumber than a brick, don't know what I'm talking about, and at one time [obviously] voted Democrat... ;>)

Cause, I walked into my gun store to Bull S**t and the 223 winked at me from the wall.

Knocked off the old parts. Ordered the new parts. A little welding, painting and assembly....

I'm going to have to decide if I want the 24mmx1.5 threaded AK74 muzzle brake. The brake and front sight that is threaded to hold it are $150. Half the price of the gun. Probably smarter to use a AR15 brake that I know works.

Edited by oldandslow
  • 3 weeks later...
Hello-

New guy to the Forum and Saiga in general. I have a .223 Kel-Tec already. The much more sturdy Saiga is next on my list. My first inclination is to go with 7.62. And then I started think about a Saiga .223 to keep ammo to one caliber. The 7.62 just seems more "traditional" for the AK design. I am going back and forth!

Why did you go .223 over 7.62? Somebody please talk me into the .223!

Kajvid

I didn't have a choice! I can only get non 7.62x39 AK's in my lovely state. Great gun and I even have the parts to convert it to pistol grip config on order (no other evil features though).

• 5 months later...

5.56 is the better choice for urban use in my opinion. 5.56 has better wounding performance within 150 yards than 7.62x39 and is also much less dangerous after penetrating a couple of layers of drywall. 7.62x39 is much better at penetrating concrete block and retains most of it's wounding potential after penetrating typical building material. This makes 7.62 much more dangerous to my neighbors than 5.56 is in the event I miss my target.

I don't find the long range accuracy advantage of 5.56 over 7.62x39 to be of any real import however. Once velocity drops below 2700 FPS you lose the fragmentation effect that makes 5.56 effective. Plus you are going to have great difficulty claiming self defense if you shoot someone that is 300 yard away.

If SHTF bad enough that I need to take +300 yard shots then I will be using .308.

I have an M4 in 5.56 and wanted to replace the AK I sold before Obama makes them illegal. I decided 5.56 to make logistics easier. One caliber to reload for. (actually, three calibers as I have a .30 carbine and 30-30 I load for also) .I decided on Saiga: 1st real deal Russian AK, well made, and 2nd CHEAP! I just bought mine for $349 plus tax. That's a bargain

Honestly?

I wanted a 7.62 - but I live in the crappy state of CT which has banned AK style rifles in 7.62x39...

Sooooooo - .223 ammo is cheaper than .308 (which ironically, is fine to buy in CT). I am sure I will end up with a .308 as well at some point. And a 7.62 if I ever move back to NY.

Same here

Have both, did buy a 20" .223 that would be the best rock chuck or close range prairie dog gun with the 10 round mag. In Montana most dog shots were good with Contenders in .223. (from 5 feet to 150 yards.) most long shots wind kills anyway. The 5 foot shot is a hoot!

Shot many chucks with .44 mag. open sights, with a Scoped Contender they were soup. Then I would be safe from Zombies as well!

(We need a Saiga Hunting section)