Brake, is it worth it?

OK, like I mentioned in a earlier post of mine. My shooting and rifle owning experience has been limited to mostly bolt deer hunting guns fro the last 20 years. Mainly remington 700 series of various calibers.

So this being my first semi and first homeland defense type weapon I noticed a few things this weekend while shooting.

Mainly while trying to fire rather quickly and still be on target. Recoil is a huge problem for me. I'm a rather small person and it was quite a PITA trying to keep the muzzle down.

So......

Having no experience with muzzle brakes, are they worth it ? Will it help me with my problem?

jeff

I used this brake on my WASR10 & it make difference....it is 5 1/2 in. long, dont know if you wanted one that long...but it is one that works.

Go to e-gunparts.com Part #TD957580 $24.99

I used this brake on my WASR10 & it make difference....it is 5 1/2 in. long, dont know if you wanted one that long...but it is one that works.

I don't think it's the brake that is reducing recoil for you. You have some extra weight on your front end that lots of us don't.

OK, like I mentioned in a earlier post of mine. My shooting and rifle owning experience has been limited to mostly bolt deer hunting guns fro the last 20 years. Mainly remington 700 series of various calibers.

So this being my first semi and first homeland defense type weapon I noticed a few things this weekend while shooting.

Mainly while trying to fire rather quickly and still be on target. Recoil is a huge problem for me. I'm a rather small person and it was quite a PITA trying to keep the muzzle down.

So......

Having no experience with muzzle brakes, are they worth it ? Will it help me with my problem?

jeff

100_0170.jpg

You can do a google search on "J-Tac47" and see all the info you get. Anyway, I have the J-Tac47 brake on my AK and it works as described on the website. Primary Weapons's link:check out the reviews and videos

check these videos out:

,linky2,linky3

I bought mine here:linky4

Edited by jbremount

I slapped the TAPCO AK 74 brake on my GP WASR 10 along with the grenade launcher buttpad from KVAR.

It has the same or less felt recoil than my AR15, course it is loud as all hell because of that type of brake though.

Im curious how the J-Tac47 compares to a true 74-style brake(I.E., Krebs).

I had a Ak74 brake(part no. MMT-0012A) that Bushmaster uses on my Bushmaster AR-15 rifle...see this (link). I shot it without earplugs by mistake and I can say, it was awfully painfull! With the J-Tac the noise or blast "is not" directed towards the shooter or bystanders. In my opinon, the J-Tac brake also does a much better job of keeping the muzzle down.

Edited by jbremount
J tac from what i've heard is great, but i'll find out myself when i buy one, just make sure if your gonna roll the AK 74 route you get the REAL brake and not a "74 type" which is nothing but a 922r compliant fishing weight.

Fixed it.

Anyone know how the FSC47 stacks up to the J-Tac?

Ummmm...I think they are indistinguishable, since they are the same thing.

I only wish they would get some more sizes out there. I'm eager to get a 24x1.5mm for my Red Jacket AK Pistol, and it would be a nice addition if they offered a 17x1mm for the S-.308 as well....I've got one installed on my RRA LAR-8 (16") but haven't had the chance to test it out yet.

I'm on an e-mail "notification" list for their new products, so when they offer up the additional sizes (which they claim they're working on) they will let me know.

respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

They are?

FSC47_S_1.jpg47_S_1.jpg

linked from primaryweapons.com

Well, I believe they are different models of the same design by the same person (Dave Neth?) which is where the "DNTC" logo comes from.

("Dave Neth Tactical Compensator") They are all marketed / stamped "AK Concepts".

The original J-TAC (on the right in your illustrations) I believe was the "pioneer", the other(s) are like offshoots, if I'm not mistaken.

I would expect them to all function well (similarly to the original) if not better.

Respectfully posted,

guido

Thanks Guido!

I was already on the path to use a Kreb's 74 style brake. That plus thread adapter would be $85. $100 isn't too far off. If it decreases flash as well as controls muzzle rise better than a 74 style then I feel its worth it. Just trying to make sure it does :)

Hello, jamesavery22

Thanks to Dinzag and his equipment/expertise, I just got my J-Tac installed on my virginal .39 a couple of days ago.

Gotta get out and see how it works!

-Wish I could find one for my S-.308.....

guido

post-3965-1208538168_thumb.jpg

post-3965-1208538356_thumb.jpg

Hello, jamesavery22

Thanks to Dinzag and his equipment/expertise, I just got my J-Tac installed on my virginal .39 a couple of days ago.

Gotta get out and see how it works!

-Wish I could find one for my S-.308.....

guido

post-3965-1208538168_thumb.jpg

post-3965-1208538356_thumb.jpg

Off topic I know but how do you like your ergo-grip?

Hey guido,

have another question for you :D

It looks like you didn't cut off the entire sleeve of your FSB so you wouldn't have to crown the barrel inorder for the brake to fit?

After these brakes peaked my interest I was wondering about that very situation.

Very anxious to see your results/opinions :D

Hey guido,

have another question for you :D

It looks like you didn't cut off the entire sleeve of your FSB so you wouldn't have to crown the barrel inorder for the brake to fit?

After these brakes peaked my interest I was wondering about that very situation.

Very anxious to see your results/opinions :D

Hello. jamesavery22

I followed Dinzag's advice (always a good idea) and cut back the FSB "shroud" enough to allow the barrel to cover the threads inside the brake, after threading. Basically, I measured the thread depth in the brake and cut the barrel to that dimension. On the J-tac there is no "lip" (stop) over the muzzle, but I've been told that on brakes/suppressors that have one, like the Krink on my AK47 pistol, the barrel should fit pretty snug up against that "lip".

I used a tubing cutter to cut most of it to keep the cut-line straight, but I couldn't get it past the FSB so I marked it there and Dremeled it.

The rest is just swimming downstream if you get Dinzag's gear. I crowned the barrel on the .39 and the .308 'cause I had the perfect oppurtunity to do it, so why not? Once again, contact Dinzag.....

I like the feel of the Ergo grip, but the one on the .308 fit a lot better than the one on my .39. It took a lot of dremmel/rasp work to get the soft one to go on. The hard one is US made, as well. I think I got the hard one (.308) from Ace, but I haven't seen them on their site lately.

-Blackjack Buffers is a pretty good place to get the J-Tac's from, especially if you need other stuff and can combine it to save on shipping. Heck, I can always find something on BJB that I can use!

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston