This topic has been :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse::lol: LOL

It's all here... just search back through the topics... you will find it ALL...

:smoke:

Beaten as far as twist rate, or whether it will stabilize the heavies? Is the 1/9 not confirmed? I did do quite a bit of searching, I pasted a link to another thread here, and I had a hard time finding much, even the manufacturer site did not specify. If only new topics are broached, won't we run out soon? :unsure::smoke:

If only new topics are broached, won't we run out soon?

Yeah, Probably...

Seriously, though... start back at page 15 or so and work your way forward, looking at topics in the .223 section... you will come across at least a half dozen or more answering twist rate, bullet weights, etc... I remember one time we had three distinctly different posts within a week asking the exact same question by three different people. :up:

Honestly, I don't remember the details on the twist rate... nor really worry about it... and I am not saying like that to be a prick... its just not something I personally ever had to think about... and I am sorry, but I dont recall specifically where the data was posted, but I *DO* know its there as I have seen it in times past...

Myself, I shoot about the CHEAPEST .223 I can get through my Saiga... its not my "go to" gun for accuracy... its my "Lets shoot a Saiga today, hmmm...which one?" gun... If I can get it to shoot a 2 inch group at 50 yards I am tickled...

When I worry about twist rate, and bullet weights, its because I need sub MOA groups out of an AR, or my Savage .308. My Saigas do not fall into the same shooting class as those for MY USES...

As such... the data hasn't been retained in my cranium... LOL Why remember something that you can look up when ya need it? :up:

I know we wont run out of topics, although sometimes it seems that way... and after reading almost every single post by every single user, in the past 4 years... you start to wonder sometimes if theres anything new to cover... and surprisingly almost daily... there is... :up: no worries, Falcon... the info is there... dig a little more, you will probably also find a few other tasty tidbits while you search too, and it will make it all the sweeter!! :up:

Ok Indy, took your advice and went back looking for posts. I found everything from 1/10 to 1/7, with a lot of misinformation concerning military twists and bullet weights in between. The majority seem to say the Saiga has 1/9, with some adament that theirs are 1/7, and some suggestion that the new rifles have 1/7. I sincerely hope the 1/7 is true as I'm very enamored with the 75/77 gr, as is the military, utilizing the Mk262 77gr Sierra BTHP loaded by Black Hills for the SPR and it is gaining great popularity, though it is nowhere near standard issue, yet. Also Prvi loads a 75gr match for relatively cheap by todays prices, and I am slowly switching all my reloading components over to the heavier HRNDY 75gr BTHP because I am not rich enough to afford the Sierra 77gr at twice the price.

• Like 1

As I honestly DON'T *KNOW* the twist rate, I would say load some up and shoot em... see how they shoot out of yours, and tailor a load that works for ya...

Perhaps you can put a mark on a cleaning rod and measure the distance you pull it out of the barrel and how many times it spins in that distance? If it spins around once, it will do it in 7 or 9 inches... should clinch it for you.

I think that would be the best way to know for sure what any SPECIFIC rifle's rifling is... :up:

Ran across a Saiga shooter who claims best accuracy is with 62 gr bullets. He was getting some very decent groupings. Better than I was with the 55 gr. Anyhow, I've ordered in a case of 62's to see how they function. None of the Saiga's are tack drivers so if the 62's don't do any better they will still provide great recreation.

Mine is 1:9 and this should be able to handle up to about 70 grain bullets but no more. This is for standard construction bullets, not something like an X-Bullet, which is longer and you have to drop down in weight for those.

As far as commonly available loaded ammo - most like 62 grain for their primary ammo. I am one of them.

• 1 year later...
...I sincerely hope the 1/7 is true as I'm very enamored with the 75/77 gr, as is the military, utilizing the Mk262 77gr Sierra BTHP loaded by Black Hills for the SPR and it is gaining great popularity, though it is nowhere near standard issue, yet...

I've read (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the military went with 1 in 7 twist barrels, to stabilize the new 62 grain FMJ load & the equivalent tracers (which are relatively long for their weight) in cold weather - not 75 to 77 grain match bullets. Doesn't matter to me: I've tried just about everything in my Savage Model 10 (1 in 9 twist, IIRC) and it prefers (for some reason I can not fathom) Federal 50 grain HPs. Just goes to show you, expectations do not always match reality (another example - "How's that 'Hope & Change' working out for ya?" ;>). My Saiga gets 55 grain NATO surplus, because that's what I've got, and it's not my 'target' rifle...

...I sincerely hope the 1/7 is true as I'm very enamored with the 75/77 gr, as is the military, utilizing the Mk262 77gr Sierra BTHP loaded by Black Hills for the SPR and it is gaining great popularity, though it is nowhere near standard issue, yet...

I've read (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the military went with 1 in 7 twist barrels, to stabilize the new 62 grain FMJ load & the equivalent tracers (which are relatively long for their weight) in cold weather - not 75 to 77 grain match bullets. Doesn't matter to me: I've tried just about everything in my Savage Model 10 (1 in 9 twist, IIRC) and it prefers (for some reason I can not fathom) Federal 50 grain HPs. Just goes to show you, expectations do not always match reality (another example - "How's that 'Hope & Change' working out for ya?" ;>). My Saiga gets 55 grain NATO surplus, because that's what I've got, and it's not my 'target' rifle...

Match NRA HP rifles in competition have to look like a M16 most are AR 15 with stainless steel barrels with 1/8 twist and that stabilizes bullets up to 80 grain SMK and work great with 77grain SMK, The 1/9 twist will stabilze the 75 grain bullets bt 77 might not work.

Edited by g21322635
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...