Versions of the .308

In looking for which one to buy, I've noticed 3 separate versions of the .308 that seem to be direct from the factory. I'm set on a 22", but here are my observations.

1. Standard configuration, either wood or polymer buttstock and front handgrip.

2. "Version 21" configuration, thumbhole wood stock. I've noticed stock choice in this one is very limited due to a slant-cut receiver.

3. Skeleton stock, polymer. This seems to only be available on a few dealer's sites. I have doubts as to whether this version is sent to the dealer or dealer-modified.

Essentially, I'd like the most customizable version of the 22". The standard config is about $300 for a rifle, the version 21 is $500, and the skeleton is $420-450. I also realize that at least the standard config needs to be modified with a certain degree of accuracy in mounting new grips/stocks. Is this the same for the 'version 21' and the Saiga's with a skeleton stock already mounted? Or is this specific for a handgrip (i.e. could I mount a skeleton stock to replace that of the standard rifle's with little modification)? I will mainly only want to touch the stock and grip as an option later on, but want the least difficulty in this modification yet for the most reasonable price. For this reason, a standard model for $300 beats out those above it.

Any thoughts on this? Any advice on how the three versions are laid out for future modifications? I don't need a rail or anything, just some future flexibility.

I'm also wondering how solid the barrel is at 22". I'm sure the thing moves around when shot, but in comparison to my AK (16" bbl?) I can take slow-motion video and see the thing oscillate like a slinkee. I figure with 6 more inches (ok maybe 5.5"), this effect has to be more severe unless the barrel is more solid.

Edited by izzay

Hello

If you are intending to convert this .308 (which is what I think your intentions are..) then I would get the cheapest stock set you can find, since you'll be scrapping it anyway.

No point in paying for a wood set or anything like that.

I think maybe one of those .308's is actually for one with wood furniture or something...looks pretty confusing.

guido2 in Houston

Hello

If you are intending to convert this .308 (which is what I think your intentions are..) then I would get the cheapest stock set you can find, since you'll be scrapping it anyway.

No point in paying for a wood set or anything like that.

I think maybe one of those .308's is actually for one with wood furniture or something...looks pretty confusing.

guido2 in Houston

Both models say synthetic yet have a picture of a .308 with wood stocks. May go with one of the $300 models. I'm interested in whether the stocks will be wood or synthetic (essentially whether $300 is unreasonable for a 22" wood stock).

Also, if you note the two guns have different capacities, which I find odd. I'm ready to hit the button but I'm gambling on what I'm buying. I called TGS, even they can't help.

Edited by izzay
You said you're ready to "hit the button". You did notice they're on backorder, right? FWIW, last I heard no one is sure when the next shipment is due in.

I did notice. Gun dealers around here charge much more than I'm willing to pay (this rifle goes for around $500 in the bare configuration). I'm willing to wait as long as I get my order in and get in line.