Cool video. Thanks for posting that. The Russians may not be elegant, but they sure are practical. It makes you appreciate just what an effective weapon system the AK really is. When I was in the process of deciding what to buy i.e. a Russian SKS or a Saiga, I'm so glad I listened to you guys and gals on this forum and bought the Saiga.

Got choice? Make mine a Kalashnikov. :up:

yeah i agree, the first time i got my AK i was thinking " how the hell do they use it in a quick point and shoot situations?"

after watching the vid and handling my gun, by the mag, it's well balanced from that point and you could really swing it quick in a defense move.

i like to think, AK's are like ugly women, after years of abuse they'll still put up with you. :lol:

Edited by The-Beast
yeah i agree, the first time i got my AK i was thinking " how the hell do they use it in a quick point and shoot situations?"

after watching the vid and handling my gun, by the mag, it's well balanced from that point and you could really swing it quick in a defense move.

i like to think, AK's are like ugly women, after years of abuse they'll still put up with you. :lol:

I saw this vid and was practicing those techniques. Now I know why the warsaw length stock is preferred

I realize that guy isnt a military trainer, but is he really saying that the AK should be carried with an empty chamber, safety on?

What is your guys opinions on that?

I also love the look on the guys face when he realized he chambered a round on the magazine change.

Im not sure how russians carry, but i've seen movies where the guy on post points his gun, then cocks it...but thats the movies.

personally i leave mine w/o a round in the chamber, im told (home defense wise) if you cock the gun loudly before you go to confront a burgler he's less likely to confront you and make a b-line to the door.

yeah im glad someone else noticed that, his face was priceless :lol:

personally i leave mine w/o a round in the chamber, im told (home defense wise) if you cock the gun loudly before you go to confront a burgler he's less likely to confront you and make a b-line to the door.

That works even better with a pump-action 12 gauge. That distinct sound and the prospect of being on the receiving end of some buck-shot, really makes those home invaders re-think their decision. I don't keep my weapons chambered either, but it is primarily because I'm a little paranoid about accidental discharges.

Notice that he never takes his eyes off the target (firing from his strong side and "serious").

It's very important when you're doing the high or low carry, aiming with body movements.

+1 on the warsaw length :)

I train with my friend (prior Russian military) and we compare techniques all the time.

If you ever get a chance to really learn the AK moves first hand, don't pass it up. It's a real advantage to have the skills to go with the weapon type.

Personally, I like hand to hand with the AK. It's rather devastating and no frills.

Edited by whatmanual

As to keeping a chamber empty weapon and still being effective - the Israelis are amazingly fast with drawing, chambering a round and firing faster than most people can draw and point.

As to this video, it is good - but you might want to check out Gabe Suarez and Suarez International's AK video. Over an hour and half of everything from the safety basics to carry positions to various shooting positions and shooting to various buttstrokes to weapons transitions and transfers. Great stuff, real stuff!

I dunno, I watched it and it kind of highlighted the biggest drawback to the AK platform vs the AR or M16. Namely, the AK is slower to disengage the safety and engage the target. It's maybe marginally slower if you have a round chambered.

My two cents...keep the dominant hand on the pistol grip if the chamber is empty and mag inserted. With the weak hand use the extended fingers to flip the safety off, use the pinky to grab the ejection handle and chamber a round. If you're left hand dominant then the thumb can be used to flip the safety down and the index finger can be used to work the ejection handle. This seems easiest with a modified ready carry where the ejection port is facing forward and the muzzle is down and left of the centerline, flat of the buttstock against the chest (right hand dominant).

I don't know if that instructor had dummy rounds in that other mag but he sure as shit pulled the trigger on it. I don't know how to say wtf in Russian but I know that guy was thinking it.

As he was going through those motions, I could only think that in his mind the following lines in Russian were being gone over... Well, at least the RUSSIAN equivalent... :up:

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I WILL..."

I think he looked odd, cause they were taking snapshots of him when he did that, and it looked like he was looking at the photographers to see if they "got the shot"...

I also CANT STAND the audio/video non-synched... Like a steering wheel on my crotch... It drives me nuts!!!

:smoke:

lol i know how you feel about the sync... thats what my mind resorts to when boardum hit while in the work place, vid clips of anything to make the time fly by.

Oh, and also trying to convince fellow co-workers (AR-15 owners) to come to the dark side, and how they just might enjoy it.

One way to prepare an AK to quickly bring it into action, while making sure it is safe in the meantime, is to keep it in the following condition: bolt closed on an empty chamber, safety off, hammer forward (uncocked), loaded magazine inserted. It is impossible for the gun to fire in this condition, but all you have to do is work the action and you're ready to go. Needless to say, always employ good gun safety practices when storing and handling firearms.

I dont understand Russian but isn't that what it looked like he was suggesting? Except for the safety engaged.

The first chunk was him raising the weapon to his hip, disengaging the safety, racking the action, then raising to ready.

He did that like 20 times then showed a couple times how it could be just hip, safety, ready if there was already a round in the chamber. Guessing as he did that he was saying something along the lines of "you could keep a round in the chamber but..."

I dunno can anyone do a translation? :D

Jeez....for a minute there, I thought he was going to start twirling that thing around like a baton girl in the high school band.

Tony

Hey, I was in the band in high school...except I lugged around a tuba for those 3 years. Batons and flags are for pussies!!! :D

I have this vid saved as a favorite on YouTube, even though my Russian isn't all that great. The last comment on the vid is mine too, btw. :D