s12 saw pistol grip

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bugged Ray for an aluminum trigger guard from the day he first posted images of it. I shot him the money order and received the trigger guard in 3 days (admittedly he's just one state north of me) B)

The trigger guard came with all the hardware required and looks just as good as in all of the pictures. The saw grip fit perfectly and the BHO lever fits perfectly right next to the base-plate. If I were doing another conversion I would definitively start off by going to Ray. Very nice piece!

I tried to fit a Tapco standard AK grip to it and it didn't fit very well. It could be made to work but it would take some time with a dremel and still wouldn't fit as well as the SAW grip. That's fine as I really like the SAW grip.

The only other thing I noticed was the mounting hardware required a slightly larger hole in the receiver than the holes left by the rivets. This wasn't a problem since the pilot holes are already there, 2 min with a hand drill and that was done.

Again, this is a great part. Thanks Ray for getting it to me.

Here is a pic of it right before I went to bed last night:

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa318/f...ent=grip003.jpg

Edited by hobbyshooter

Like a dumbass, I sent Ray a money order for the steel thinking he also had it in milled version or tig. No stupid(talking to myself). Milled only comes in aluminum. My fault. So I sent another M.O. for the difference. Ray has been communicating w/me and didn't have a problem with my error. All I can say is if you snooze you'll definitely lose. Talk about a bad ass add-on. Fuck. FMJ.

Edited by saiga12fan
What are the differences between the aluminum and steel? Do either come in black?

The aluminum is a billet block of 6061 t6 completly CNC machined.

The steel is fabed, tig welded and CNC machined.

I am only offering in the white ( no final finnish ) at this time.

Thanks for your interest

I just want to give props to skiboatsp, as I received my steel trigger guard yesterday. I was very pleased with the construction, and installation was a breeze. Definitely worth the investment, as it has to be as strong or stronger than any alternative, and it looks the part to boot.

Communication was good, and shipping was done promptly.

Thanks for a solid product, blackplag

I'm posting this for two reasons, first, because it would benefit me if I was just starting my S12 conversion, and second, because there's a forum member with a product that :super:.

I picked up a Saiga 12 at a local gun show mid April, and did so with the full intention of converting it from it's native "sporter" set up.

Of the entire conversion process (which I researched on these very forums), the one thing that had me somewhat apprehensive, was that I would need to remove the trigger guard from the plate for reuse, and also cut a hole for the pistol grip nut.

I'm certainly no stranger to my trusty Dremel and it's many capabilities, but from what I had read, it could be a bit of a bear to remove the trigger guard (namely due to the front weld holding it to the plate) and also to properly place/cut the PG hole.

Turns out that one product, a product of a rather basic concept, alleviated most of this concern. I originally was on the list at MAA for the upcoming Tromix DIY Trigger Guard, as it seemed to be just the solution I was after (and no doubt it will be for many people). I was extremely impatient though.....

In the meantime I came across skiboatsp's post.

Turns out this item was currently available. I ordered the S12 Steel guard from him and anxiously awaited it's arrival.

It was waiting for me yesterday, and went on that very night. I had already done most of the prep work for the conversion: gutted the receiver, removed the trigger guard/plate, and modified my CAA ACAKC stock.

I shot the TG with some bake paint and installed it without a hitch. I only needed to hog out the two forward holes left by rivet removal for the 10-32 installation screws. I also had acquired a 6-32 bit/tap for the safety stop remedy posted on his site. This too was straight forward and sucessfully accomplished. All that was needed for install was included (minus the aforementioned bit/tap).

Now for the reasons which made the install easier IMO (all work done with dremel/hand drill/files):

I was able to grind the 3 main rivets holding the trigger guard/plate in place without having to touch the weld that holds the front of the guard to the plate (which apparently seems to be the most difficult one).

I simply cut the trigger guard off at the front once the rear was free.

I ground, drilled, and punched out the rivets with little trouble.

After that, it was basically bolt and go from there.

I did have to make a relief in the CAA stock tube similar to the one depicted on skiboatsp's site regarding the ACE block. I don't know if the same would be true for VLTOR's piece. Irregardless, this was done quickly with a drill and dremel burr.

The SAW grip installed very snugly to the guard as well. All in all, a solid setup with better fit/finish than the rifle it was going on.

As a side note, I will mention that the CAA ACAKC stock seems of good quality, however, it did require some "fitting". Though this very well may be due to the slackier tolerances of Izhmash, rather than any issue with the CAA product.

It required a fair amount of material removal to allow the mounting holes to line up with those in the receiver, removal of which would not affect it's integrity. I also notched out the stock so it could fully collapse (with a dremel of course), though this was done as personal preference.

I can't post pics now, but will try to add them to this post later today(be warned, they will be of only fair quality).

Needless to say, I'd rather drill tap a 6-32 hole (for the selector stop screw) than try and salvage the trigger guard and cut a PG nut hole. For those that would agree, skiboatsp's aluminum or steel trigger guards may be the ticket.

-blackplag

While we're at it. I recieved my Aluminum TG last week. Man, this thing is super nice. I have a Tromix right now, but when I get another S12 this F*cker is going to be the center piece for sure. Communication was there and shipping was prompt. Thanks Ray for your contribution to the Saiga world. I'll be getting more in other models when they come out. If you miss this boat you'll be down Sh*ts creek. Thanks again. Franky.J.

Good writeup. I too installed one of skiboatguys trigger guards, and it was exactly what I was hoping it would be, if not better.

I did this conversion after work in 1 day even without knowing what I was doing when putting the receiver guts back together. Now that I know the tricks, and how everything goes I could probably do a conversion with this guard in about 2 hours.

I have one and must say that it is a very high quality piece and a good solution for those who don't want to go to the extra trouble to cut the PG bushing hole and remove / reinstall the TG. The Tapco Saw grip fits perfectly and there are a few other grips that can be made to work too. Be forewarned that the Ergo grips do not work with this though.

• 2 weeks later...
will it work with the us kvar replica of the bulgarian plastic?

Im still waiting for the tromix part to become available. my s-12 sits unfinished due to lack of time, and easy to use bolt on parts

I don't think it will work with that grip. I test fit a Tapco AK grip onto this guard and it just didn't fit. SAW grips fit perfect though.

will it work with the us kvar replica of the bulgarian plastic?

Im still waiting for the tromix part to become available. my s-12 sits unfinished due to lack of time, and easy to use bolt on parts

I don't think it will work with that grip. I test fit a Tapco AK grip onto this guard and it just didn't fit. SAW grips fit perfect though.

AK_02.jpg

AK_01.jpg

Fits most all AK style grips ( tapco shown )

I am testing presently

Bump on this one, got mine in and galled the saw grip nut on my steel one, Ray sent me a new one just as fast as i could get an email out. Definitely one of the fastest and most costumer friendly sites i have gotten some conversion parts from. Cut the guess work out of the pistol grip nut hole and really helped a newb like myself with my first s-12 conversion.

Bump on this one, got mine in and galled the saw grip nut on my steel one, Ray sent me a new one just as fast as i could get an email out. Definitely one of the fastest and most costumer friendly sites i have gotten some conversion parts from. Cut the guess work out of the pistol grip nut hole and really helped a newb like myself with my first s-12 conversion.

PICS OR LIES!! :haha:

Heres the guard, been waitin on a new camera to get in, got the rest of the pics in the photo section

Swell job shitbox13. And thanx to you Ray.

shitbox sounds so bad, lol, at a quick glance i can see shitbox