New Member, Range Report, Accuracy Question + pic

Hello,

Second post here (first was to add a pic to the photo thread). I converted a Saiga working a few minutes a night over the course of about 2 weeks. Wanted to say thanks to all for the info here, I was able to take care of the conversion by reading and reading some more, plus the wicked conversion vodeos on YouTube.

Anyway, took the Saiga out to the range a couple weeks ago and with slowfire supported (by a rangebag) shots, I was able to manage a 10-shot group with iron sights at 50 yards of right at 4". I see people posting 2"-3" groups at 100 yards with irons, is this feasible? I'm an average rifle shot, and I was just using Wolf Military Classic 124 gr, but at 50 yards the front sight blade was as wide as the entire 3" target I placed on the head of my silhouette target. I would think that even with good ammo, the simple fact that the front sight blade covers 5 or 6" at 100 yds would make it hard to shoot, say a 3" 5-shot group. Thoughts? Tips for improving iron sight accuracy?

Here's a pic of the head of my silhouette target. It's a 3" Caldwell Orange Peel target.

Head.jpg

A trick we use with our Mosins for punching groundhogs is to put the rear sight at 300M and set the hog on top of the post . Seems to work better with them, maybe you can do something like that with the Saiga

You could try filing the sight to make it thinner. If you mess it up no big deal. They are cheap and easy to replace. Try a fluorescent paint on just the very top of the sight to brighten it up a little.

The only problem with that is that it will show extra light through the rear sight causing even a greater spread. But hey, try it and see. If it don't work there are other options.

You could try this Krinkov receiver cover: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=320&page=1 but it's pricey if It don't work.

Depending on how adventurous you are you can get a Valmet receiver cover with a built on peep sight here: http://www.av-ase.fi/show.asp?display=1&id=1187

Now it's pricey and will take some fitting to get it to work, but the Finnish AK's are the best in the world, and they work for their military. They fit snug and don't move. There are also ways you can modify the covers so they are rock solid, however, I cannot help you there. Perhaps somebody here can. Do a search in the tech section. More than likely you will find an answer there.

The advantage to the Valmet peep is that it gives you a longer sight radius. Perhaps you could just purchase a receiver cover to experiment with. A fun project for the innovative I would think.

Could make a dollar or two if you could find something affordable and workable. Dinzag, you paying attention? ;)

i think the number1 way to increase your accuracy is to try several differnet weights and brands of ammo and see which one shoots best for your weapon, they all DONT shoot the same. the only good ammo is the ammo YOUR weapon likes best it could be cheap russain made ammo or some custom ordered handloaded $50 per box ammo. just because it cost more doesnt always mean its better.good ammo is what your weapon consitantly shoots best not what some1 elses weapon shoots best.

also you really need to break your weapon in before it really starts shooting its best. once you've shot over 300rnds it should be broken in good

Edited by Cryptkeeper
A trick we use with our Mosins for punching groundhogs is to put the rear sight at 300M and set the hog on top of the post . Seems to work better with them, maybe you can do something like that with the Saiga

This is actually what's known as a six o'clock aiming point. I've taught Marines who had problems finding center mass on a bullseye to use this because you can "see" the entire bullseye. But when you focus on your front sight post, focus on the exact center of the post and not the entire post. The biggest drawback to this is that it's a pain in the ass to set the dope on the weapon by manipulating the front sight post for elevation and windage on the AK. It's no big deal on the M16.

Using Wolf black box at 25m I put six rounds inside a 4cm circle.

By no means did my ammo perform this way often. This was like at the end of a five hour day in the prone self coaching myself through every shot, and for once the ammo didn't fly.

The only thing I changed was to a Mojo sight.

I think the number one way to improve rifle marksmanship is to use the four fundamentals: Steady (Position aka Prone supported, cheek to stock weld, stock to shoulder weld etc), Aim (Proper sight picture and alignment), Breathe(Slowly and consistently), Squeeze (At your body's natural respiratory pause; right after you exhale your body is completely still for a few seconds).

Even though my ammo sucked ass and would occasionally throw rounds like crazy I got pretty decent accuracy outta my weapon. Not a '16 but hey. Fundamentals are fundamental.

Edited by AgentLQ

This is actually what's known as a six o'clock aiming point. I've taught Marines who had problems finding center mass on a bullseye to use this because you can "see" the entire bullseye.

Damn..here we thought we came up with something cool :cryss: ya go and ruin all my fun :haha: