.327 Ruger,not a typo.....

No, I don't think they are equals. But, I do think it would get the job done nicely. The main complaint about the 357 mag is too much power, so taking a bit off of it while adding a round to a small frame revolver is at least worth introducing to the public.

A 100 grain bullet is comparable to most 380, mak, or light 9mm fodder and with the extra velocitiy the case offers it's probably a one shot stopper. I think it would all depend on bullet selection. The concept is worthy, since you wind up with a j frame sized 6 shooter that's dead reliable. I would think that something like a dpx bullet would be really very good in this gun. Alternately, stick with the large and quick expanding hollowpoint bullets, since expansion is the key.

What has me interested about it is the reloading possibilities, you could carry a pocket full of rounds that were good for anything from squirrels to deer (in a pinch). Same story as what you'd have with the 357 mag, but having that extra round is 20% more than not having it, and the best gun for survival is the one you carry and not the one in the safe. The difference between 6 and 5 in a wheel gun is alot more pronounced than 9 and 15 would be in autoloaders for most CCW work.

Now if they produce a lever gun in the 327 (and why not toss in some hornady soft tip leverrevolution type bullets) and we might just have a nice combo.

The only advantage I see is having 6 rounds vs 5 in a snubbie. There are so many different .38/.357 loads available, with different bullet weights etc. that if recoil is an issue you have plenty of options. I dont trust ANY handgun bullet to be a "one shot stopper". All other things being equal, I wouldnt want to spend big $$ on a pistol that is going to have very limited ammo availabilty. I'm happy with my S&W 640 in .357.

It's destined the same fate as the 9mm Federal. Get some for your ammo collection now. It will be a fading memory next year.

With the popularity of the 40 cal, they would have been slightly better off, just reintroducing the Herter's .401 PowerMag.

Tony

Well what I read about is with moderate loads in both the .327 had less recoil, higher velocity, and more delivered energy.

Of course this doesn't transfer directly to stopping power (cross-section and everything being a factor) but if I was going to get a snub-gun .327 would be my choice for sure, but that's just me.

• 3 weeks later...

The .357/.38+p snubbies have been around for 75 years or so and with the right loads have a proven track record for self defense. This new .327 load is unproven. Its a gimmick as far as I'm concerned. Why try to reinvent the wheel when there are plenty of good choices already?