converted my .223

Here's my .223 before 2:30 this afternoon:

HPIM1207.JPG

And here it is after 4:00:

HPIM1212.JPG

The trigger was just too damned heavy. I decided to go ahead and do a pg conversion since I already had the buttstock and pg on-hand. I have a G-2 fcg on the way to complete the deal.

As you can see, I had camo'd the stock before and I decided to do it again for the new furniture - only I used some fabric mesh to spray through the second time around - I like it. It has a "snake skin" kinda texture to it. This is just Krylon flat camo paint - tan base with black and od green spots.

Took all of 1 1/2 hours to complete - no mag stuff done as I just opted to pop for the surefire mags - which have worked 100% so far.

I'll post range results with the new improved trigger when I get that done.

Dude... you will be AMAZED when you stick that G2 in there... you will think you have a TARGET RIFLE... The trigger is SO SWEET... It is very light... maybe 3, 3.5 pounds... it has some take up, and some over travel, too... but it breaks clean, and is a pleasure to shoot... in fact, dont be surprised if you get some "HOLY SHIT... I didn't want it to go off yet" shots with it... :up:

So be careful when you are getting used to it... its awesome in the .223!

I have two of them with the G2... love them both... I also just posted some pics of groups I got with mine... 1.5" X 3" high... 10 rounds... 50 yards, irons... DECENT... :up:

Good luck with yours!!

:smoke:

Thanks for the compliments :)

Here's a close-up that shows the camo a bit better - in more detail:

HPIM1214.JPG

Uh... I don't see the trigger in that bottom pic...

There's no fcg or pins installed in that pic....

I decided that since I'm using all us made mags that I'd just use some of the fcg parts on hand. That is, I don't need more us parts for 922r. I used the original hammer, a century disconnector (that I milled down and trued up) and a bulgy trigger. I filed and stoned all contact points to true them up and smooth them out. I used the original hammer so that I wouldn't have to mill the side of the new hammer to allow space for the bho.

It's about the same as a G-2 now.

I've got G-2's in most of my builds and Red Stars in a couple too - they really are the primo as far as fcg's go.

I also installed some rivets in the rear holes.

So, now it's done... and I need to go to the range with it again. :)

And I have a G-2 fcg that needs a home - so, I'll be ordering a 7.62x39 Saiga - that'll by my third.

Oh, and I used the pg from my S308 on this .223, so the S308 got a Tapco saw grip - looks good with its T-6 buttstock.

Edited by O.S.O.K.
  • 2 weeks later...