best cheap plinking 22

The Ruger 10/22 is the King of 22 rifles. You can do everything from a precision match rifle to a AK clone (Krinker Plinker). There are a bunch of magazines out there, everything from the factory 10rd to a 50rd drum. If you are looking for an AK style set up, there is the Krinker Plinker kit. It is basically a dress up kit for the 10/22. It is definiely a fun gun at the range.

I haven't had a 10/22 in years. But with ammo they was it is, I am thinking of doing a SBR 10/22 w/ a Krinker Plinker kit. I have a 9mm suppressor on order, but I am thinking of either a .22lr or .308 next. A .22lr would go perfect with the Krinker kit. But, with the .308, I can also use it on my AKs and .223 ARs as well. So it is a toss up. I really should just get both now because I usually eventually get both.

I had a 10/22 in highschool and put thousands of rounds through it. I am talking like a brick every other week during my Junior year. I used the Ramline 25rd 'trunicator' single stacked mags, original Eagle 30rd and Butler Creek 30rd mags with great success. I 'splurged' with some Christmas money and got a Butler Creek sidefolder. It was about as good a plinker as it gets. Then again, the $89 Chinese SKS w/ $80 for 1k of ammo wasn't bad either. With all the Chinese crap we have now, it sucks that we can't get their ammo or firearms.

A used Ruger 10/22 can be had for < $150. Most of the time they action and barrel are fine internally, but need cleaned. They will most likely need refinished, which is no big deal. A little degreaser and the spray-on finish of your choice.

Nice little rifles. I have a couple. Great fun. Accessories all over the place for them too, as are spare parts if you ever need them, which I doubt. More importantly, MAGAZINES are EASY to find, and inexpensive.

You can't go wrong with one of these cool little guns.

If you're stuck on the idea of an AK type weapon, they have a conversion out there for it called the krinker plinker.

Also, there's a 2/3 scale shell for it that is a dead ringer for an MG42.

Love the 10/22. Just picked up a used 10/22 International in stainless with the laminated mannlicher stock for 160 at Gander Mountain this afternoon. Felt like a 10 year old when I was begging my wife to let me buy it. She caved, but that was after a 15 minute crying fit. Compliments my other 10/22 nicely. The Ruger accessorizes nicely like everyone has said.

For what its worth, the Remington 597 is not a bad shooting rifle for $200 new and Remington made 30 round factory mags for it.

The TOZ 78 is far and away the best 22 for the money. Adjustable trigger (and I mean down to a hair trigger if you like), accuracy that puts stock 10/22's to shame, comes with four mags, and best of all it's typically around $130 new. A little rough out of the box, but float the barrel and epoxy bed the action and you have 1/4 in groups at 50 yards with quality ammunition, and no worse than 1 inch groups with even the worst department store trash.

I've shot mine just about every other day or so for five years. It simply outshoots any 22 in the sub $500 range of the dozens that I've tried before or since purchasing it (except certain used ones that if sold new would be $1000 guns).

It's a very popular gun in Finland with a good reputation for accuracy there. If Fin's like a rifle, it's the real deal.

If you've got a little more to spend the izhmash biathlon basic is also a fine shooter, but not as nice a stock trigger. If you can't find any of the russians, then the savage bolt action 22 with the heavy bbl is a nice shooter as well (but the accutrigger is not as nice as the toz trigger). The toz is now imported as the winchester wildcat, but sadly without the adjustable trigger.

The price of 308 is getting high i am concidering getting a 22 wondering about options other than the ruger 10/22 would like the ak style wepons. also cheap is the objective

The Remington 597 is a good choice. The high cap mags makes for real cheap and fun shooting.....

Love the 10/22. Just picked up a used 10/22 International in stainless with the laminated mannlicher stock for 160 at Gander Mountain this afternoon. Felt like a 10 year old when I was begging my wife to let me buy it. She caved, but that was after a 15 minute crying fit. Compliments my other 10/22 nicely. The Ruger accessorizes nicely like everyone has said.

For what its worth, the Remington 597 is not a bad shooting rifle for $200 new and Remington made 30 round factory mags for it.

$160 for an International?????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

You lucky BASTARD!........the stocks alone sometimes sell for that much on eBay.....Paid $325 for my International about 2 years ago.

I have 4 10/22 in different configurations.....

want to add a 5th.....the Charger.....

hell i got mags....might as well get another gun that they fit while i am at it!

Would this be a bad time to mention a Ruger 10/22 TNZ I got at a Gander Mountain UNFIRED, LNIB "used", "trade in" for $400.00 OTD?!?!? ROFL... ( thats was over a year ago... mind you...)

And yeah, Hoosier... you suck for getting an international for that kinda price... :haha:

:smoke:

Would this be a bad time to mention a Ruger 10/22 TNZ I got at a Gander Mountain UNFIRED, LNIB "used", "trade in" for $400.00 OTD?!?!? ROFL... ( thats was over a year ago... mind you...)

And yeah, Hoosier... you suck for getting an international for that kinda price... :haha:

:D

Thought about selling it and making some money on it, but I really like it......although it's not as brutishly badass as my S .308.

Okay, I'm gonna be real serious here and say Marlin Papoose.. I have one and love it. Very accurate, and small and light. Currently have a cheap-o 3-9x40 on it.

Main downside is nobody else likes 'em, so the only mags you can get are 7 and 10 rounders, and basically no aftermarket mods. I shoot the papoose when I want cheap fun, and the S-308 when I need to assert my manhood. :haha: Made an AR a while back, and first time I shot it, I thought, Wow, this is more like my .22 than my "rifle"! But that's unrelated.

Best of luck choosing,

Acer

I bought a used 10/22 Carbine and converted it to a Krinker Plinker, takes all of 30 minutes. Everyone I know loves it. It has been mistaken for a true suppressed weapon due to the low noise the .22 makes and the fake suppressor can shroud over the barrel. The fact that it has a real AK style folding stock makes it great for fooling others too. This is my second one, I also customized one with a Buttler Creek 0.920" diameter carbon fiber barrel and Hoque overmolded stock. It is very light and accurate with the BSA Sweet 22 scope on it. Highly recommend the 10/22 due to low cost and lots of after market parts/accessories.

I bought a used 10/22 Carbine and converted it to a Krinker Plinker, takes all of 30 minutes. Everyone I know loves it. It has been mistaken for a true suppressed weapon due to the low noise the .22 makes and the fake suppressor can shroud over the barrel. The fact that it has a real AK style folding stock makes it great for fooling others too. This is my second one, I also customized one with a Buttler Creek 0.920" diameter carbon fiber barrel and Hoque overmolded stock. It is very light and accurate with the BSA Sweet 22 scope on it. Highly recommend the 10/22 due to low cost and lots of after market parts/accessories.

I want to get a 10/22 and do the krinker plinker..... looks great

right now the only .22 I have right now is my wife's.... Tec-22. :ph34r:

232128861_3c6ad6627f.jpg

Edited by chupacabrah

If you want a good low cost accurate plinker get a Marlin 60. The Ruger 10-22 is great once you replace the barrel, the trigger group and the stock but then it's really not a Ruger any more. Had both so that's my experience. Only decent Ruger was the early 77/22's.

Indy

I remembered that someone here had scored that one for a song, just couldn't recall who it was.......so yes...you to are a lucky BASTARD for finding such a good deal....

Man I love my GSG-5! I got mine about a week ago, local shop had one on the shelf and they traded me straight up for 7 South African .308 battle packs. Since then I've ran about 3000 rounds through it, and have had exactly 1 fail to feed ... and no other problems. I got a Classic Army side-folder and railed forearm for it off Ebay cheap, airsoft Tango Down stubby VFG, the G&G optics mount, and a 3x fake ACOG. Sure it's not cheap in the context being discussed here, but damn it's fun. I think I might even sell my DPMS bull-barrel 22lr AR-15 upper now that I have the GSG-5.

We can now build a TEK-22 clone with the NDS-22 receiver. Make sure you have it papered as a pistol to avoid breaking the law 1934 NFA which prohibits making pistols out of rifles. Harlan at NDS emailed me stating that they'll have some receivers marked as 'pistols later. Harlan states that since it hasn't been assembled into a rifle it can be made into a pistol. I always wanted a 10/22 style pistol but needed a receiver. I'll probably make an AK type rifle out of my 10/22 since I don't have $350 for a Krinker Plinker.

It would be cheaper to buy a Romy WASR-22 which already feels like an AK especially with the price of ammo. I read that the East German magazines can be adapted to work in the WASR-22 which would give it 30 round capacity instead of ten. Another AK clone is the Philippino made Armscor AK clone which Centerfire Systems has for $199. It looks tacky but I've seen photos of ones which the wood was reworked to look more like an AK. The Armscor has 25 round magazines available for it.