Attempting to Make my Own Lower Handguard Retainer

• 5 weeks later...

I just finished making one of these, same as the OP.

Used the .625 collar, modded AK retainer, and some JB weld. Sanded and painted the whole piece and it looks like it was made for the gun!

I'm very impressed with how it turned out, and the only tool I used was a Dremel. Only took a couple hours to do all the cutting and fitting too.

Pics to come once I borrow a camera.

I just finished making one of these, same as the OP.

Used the .625 collar, modded AK retainer, and some JB weld. Sanded and painted the whole piece and it looks like it was made for the gun!

I'm very impressed with how it turned out, and the only tool I used was a Dremel. Only took a couple hours to do all the cutting and fitting too.

Pics to come once I borrow a camera.

This is one I made for my .223, I used a AMD retainer and welded it together from the inside. On my x39 and .410 I pressed off my FSB and GB and notched the barrel for the real deal.

post-6703-1232297095_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1232297153_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1232297426_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1232297457_thumb.jpg

Edited by Superhawk138

Good post! Nice to get back to the nuts and bolts. I would think silver solder or welding would be the way to go. I like the washer/plate solution.

I have one question for all that have done this convertion that no one has discussed; This is the piece that the front of the sling attaches to, which solution is the strongest and has anyone had problems with the sling pulling or twisting the retainer? I think the sling puts more load on this than the recoil or hand gard.

I also see why Brian @ Dinzag has to charge what he does. Anyone know what a smith charges to pull the gas and FS blocks?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Frosty

Here's pics as promised -

On the rifle, with Tapco Galil-style AK HG and tri-rail

retainer_rifle.jpg

Close up

retainer_close.jpg

Another angle

retainer_standing.jpg

I didn't get any of it off the gun, as removing it involves field stripping and removing the gas tube, but if anyone wants some of it by itself, I'll break it down and snap some more.

I noticed that it wasn't straight after looking at the pictures, so I took it off and fixed it. Got some pics of the retainer while I was at it.

parts.jpg

parts2.jpg

parts3.jpg

Edited by FenderFreek

I have this one, made from a Yugo retainer. Still in the rough.

Hpim4816.jpg

Hpim4819.jpg

I have a polymer lower I want to vent similar to an AMD 65 steel lower, then I'll pop that onto the rifle.

I also thought of getting a wooden palm swell hand guard and going with a ploymer copy of the steel triangle folder...

It would be quite the oddball!