EAA Witness impression

I rented a Witness S/W .40 at the range tonight. The first clip went well. I was shooting a little low but consistant at 30'. The trigger pull was very smooth and predictable. The gun felt very natural and it was easy to get off one aimed shot per second.

Now the bad stuff. It ejects straight up. Casings kept bouncing off my head on the way back down. Then it started jamming. It wasn't real clean but it was clean enough that it should have worked, I loaded Winchester soft points and perhaps ball would have worked better. When I examined the throat I found it to be irregular, sloppily machined. Too bad. I was considering getting one of these.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard the ramps can be a little rough on these, but considering one of these can be had for ~$300 it can't be perfect...

I have a 10mm steel frame wonder finish. Actually it's got the best stock trigger I've ever shot on a firearm.

I bought a .40 barrel for it and a much heavier spring for the 10mm barrel. It's been superbly picky about what .40 ammo it likes with the .40 barrel. I bought 1000 .40 reloads at a gunshow for $95 and haven't had a single FTF issue, shot 400 of it so far.

The pistol has eaten whatever 10mm I've fed it, but at this point I've put way more .40 through it than 10mm due to price of ammo.

As I get closer to making this my primary carry weapon I'll start running more 10mm through it. For handling and accuracy it's the absolute best pistol I own.

• 1 month later...

The CZ and the IMI Baby Eagle are nice and share the same magazine as the EAA (Tangfolio) Witness. The Baby Eagle in .40 is a nice piece and shoots very accurately, it also has a polygonal barrel which means I can't use lead bullets. If you can get the IMI Jerrico it has a frame safety instead of the Walther slide safety which is harder to operate.

Die terrorist scum!!

:osama::killer:

:sadam::killer:

Eh, i like the witness my father had bought, not the best LOOKING gun, but seems nice enough to me,feels great to, but i want an ambi safty as i shoot left handed. the only problem i recall was when i hadnt seated the mag correctlly.....lol, that was my first time shooting a semi handgun

I have 2 witnesses, a full size 10mm and a compact 10mm, both in wonder finish.

The full size is much nicer than the compact, the finish is more even and the frame and slide are a nice tight smooth fit. The compact is a lot rougher, there's play between the slide and frame. And I forgot to mention, the full size is the most accurate pistol I own.

I've had the full size for a year, it's utterly reliable. Everyone who fires it really likes the ergonomics and especially the trigger. I haven't enough experience yet with the compact to give an opinion, it's clearly inferior to the full size though.

CDNN is having a witness sale now, I would strongly suggest jumping on one of the full steel .45 models. Exceptionally good pistol for the money. Get wonder finish if you can. It's a very tough and rust free finish.

It's not uncommon for people to:

- Polish the ramps

- Replace the factory recoil and firing ping springs with Wolff springs

- Replace the magazine springs with Wolff +5%

I read where another guy suggested instead of getting a heavy recoil spring to get a stronger hammer spring to slow down the initial slide velocity...interesting idea...

All three of the above should give you a very reliable weapon. I only had to do #2 above to get my full size to go *bang* every time.

Hmm...somehow i missed that I posted up above...I must be tired tonight :smoke:

Edited by brian33x51
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've ha experiance with a springfeild armory P-9 and a fullsize witness. I loved the P-9 (they were made by Tangfolio) a very nice pistol in fit, finish and function. The witness was a whole lot rougher, and required polishing of the fcg to get an acceptable trigger, and it still wasn't as nice as the springfeild. It did shoot though it took some time to breakin. The last time I shot it at 50 feet from a rest 9 out of 10 went into 1 oblong hole, and the that didn't was definately my fault. The only function problems I had with either was with the witness, snd it was 3-D reloads which sucked. The ammo was definately the problem and the gun never had a problem with any other loads. It is not unusual for a new semiauto pistol to need a couple hundred rounds to break in. Some of the major manufacturers even tell you not to even call them about a problem until you have put "X" amount of rounds through them. That means you'll have to shoot more! :devil:

• 1 year later...
Eh, i like the witness my father had bought, not the best LOOKING gun, but seems nice enough to me,feels great to, but i want an ambi safty as i shoot left handed. the only problem i recall was when i hadnt seated the mag correctlly.....lol, that was my first time shooting a semi handgun

I bought the IMI Baby Eagle for that reason, I'm also left handed and the Baby Eagle has an ambidextrous safety. If I had a Witness I would try to get an ambidextrous safety either from a CZ or from the early Baby Eagle pistols which were imported by Mossberg and called Uzi.

:osama::killer: Dido on 10mm witness, fired about 1000 rds. No real problems. Nephew bought 40 cal. Took alot of work to get it to function in a reliable manner. Mainly used for a plinker with ball ammo. Sure wouldn't bet my life on it. Local dealer ended up returning 2 45's for constant misfunctions. :smoke:
  • 2 weeks later...

just recently got my 3rd witness.

my first 45acp.

blued fullsize.

the most accurate and fun to shoot pistol i've ever owned.

haven't had a lick of a problem out of my witness 40 or 45.

the 9mm simply needed a stronger extractor spring, but thats it.

the 45 is one sweet piece that i would recommend anybody buy.

i'm trying to sell the 40 to pay off the 45 and another toy that i've got on order.

if any of ya'll are in louisiana and want a used witness 40, give me a hollar!