• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i have been pondering this for sometime. i wanted to see if i can come up with an alternative to the typical bolt modifications. given i really handy with CAD, i have cycled thru a few iterations f

The mass of the bolt must be sufficent to provide time for the bullet to leave the barrel before the inertia of the bolt is overcome.

If everything works out, I hope to see these in the U.S. market also. A vendor and I has already spent a few thousands of dollars (the vendor more than I) to get a working concept weapon. I spent 4 mo

Posted Images

• 3 years later...

The problem is to get a parts kit or research demo stateside is going to cost a few to several thousand from what I heard from some of the manufacturers due to the import laws.

If everything works out, I hope to see these in the U.S. market also. A vendor and I has already spent a few thousands of dollars (the vendor more than I) to get a working concept weapon. I spent 4 months 24/7 doing the R and D work on this project. I will tell you this. It is fun as hell to shoot!

• Like 2

i have been pondering this for sometime. i wanted to see if i can come up with an alternative to the typical bolt modifications. given i really handy with CAD, i have cycled thru a few iterations for a "turn key" solution.

test3.jpg

test2.jpg

test4.jpg

test7.jpg

test5.jpg

test6.jpg

my objective was to get the bolt and trunnion as simple of design as possible so it can be milled easily. i am trying to get some time on a friends 3d plotter for some working models and then to a cnc.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

That really does look good Smart!!!!!!! I have my EOD bolt/carrier over at the machine shop right now, seeing how much a run of 10-20 would cost per piece. May let the end user weld on their own upper tube section for the recoil spring. Just machine the main body. I really like the look of yours though, especially when combined with the design of the front trunnion. Keep us informed. If you get some time, e-mail me.

This may be a stupid question, but how does a DI firearm keep from losing massive velocity upon firing? Seems to me that if you have a barrel with a bullet going out one end and a bolt being pushed backwards in the same action, you should have close to equal forces going in either direction. By that logic, a bolt-action would have a much higher velocity, and a piston-driven would split the difference, as the piston's actuation is delayed by the barrel travel to the gas block. Probably an obvious answer, I know, but I'm a dummy :D

The mass of the bolt must be sufficent to provide time for the bullet to leave the barrel before the inertia of the bolt is overcome.

gob

from the Sub Machine Gun Designers Handbook

9mm bolt = 1.1-1.5lb

4130 steel weighs 0.283 lb./in³

required volume= 3.88-5in³

blowback ak bolt(approx)

l=3.55 w=1.25 h=1.25/2

design volume=3.32in³

Edited by smartbomb
  • Like 2

That really does look good Smart!!!!!!! I have my EOD bolt/carrier over at the machine shop right now, seeing how much a run of 10-20 would cost per piece. May let the end user weld on their own upper tube section for the recoil spring. Just machine the main body. I really like the look of yours though, especially when combined with the design of the front trunnion. Keep us informed. If you get some time, e-mail me.

I sent you a P.M. about the bolts you are having made.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Armor, apparently my machinist is blowing me off on the blowback bolts. I'm not sure why, but every time I check with him he has conveniently forgotten about the quote, and will have it to me by the end of the day. I wound up just using a Bulgy 74 bolt and carrier.

post-34941-0-38761800-1335457565_thumb.jpg

post-34941-0-99611000-1335457575_thumb.jpg

Thanks Armor. It's an original 2XTM magwell, that I was exremely pleased to get ahold of. Very durable, beefy piece. Excellent bullet guide. Reasonably easy to fit to the receiver. I was planning to buy a flat from AK Builder, but then I said heck with it, and made one out of 4130 sheet from McMaster-Carr.

You made that receiver? Well, my hat's off to you. I've been having fits with my receiver.

Had some contact with your friend smartbomb over on Gunco. Wish I knew CAD like him.

Edited by ARMOR

You made that receiver? Well, my hat's off to you. I've been having fits with my receiver.

Had some contact with your friend smartbomb over on Gunco. Wish I knew CAD like him.

Yeah, I have made about 8 receivers so far for myself, and a few bent blanks for friends over on Gunco. I just buy 12"x12" sheets of 4130 from M-C, and cut them in half on a sheet metal shear. Then I scribe out the pattern on both using a production flat as a template and trim to size.I have a buddy where I work that bends the top rails for me on a hyd brake. They come out great. Then I drill it up and cut out magwell and trigger holes, etc.... so I can bend it with my home made bending jig. They come out great, other than not having the magwell dimples.

Yeah, Smartbomb has some good CAD skills, but unfortunately has been busy as all get out. He and I were exchanging a lot of info trying to get him to where he is now. I just wish we could have gotten a full CAD drawing to take to a machine shop. As I said, my machinist has not been as helpful as he used to be. Not sure if it's a heavy workload, or if he just doesn't want to do gun stuff anymore or what. I waited for about 3 months before I broke down and bought a 74 bolt/carrier. I coulda been done before Christmas if I had known that. Dangit.

Light at the end of a tunnel. Or is it a train headed my way. I think i will be getting my cabinet project for the wife wrapped up this weekend. Now....if i can be left alone with no more "projects", i may actually have time to work o could my bolt. 2nd/armor, nitpick my cad model and i can make changes. I know its a bit crude at this point. I was able to find some very good images of a bizon bolt and will be able to use some software to make measurements from the images to refine my model. I still think a matching bolt/ trunnion is the way to go. It would simplify things as opposed to adapting a surplus trunnion.

The offer still stands on some cad work. Give a basic sketch i can run some drawings fairly quick.

Thanks, but I've been crazy busy myself. My hot water heater burst and flooded my downstairs and I've also been trying to finish up this drill press to pin flash hiders on AR15 barrels for a friend of mine. I'll try to do more work on it this weekend.

100_2577.jpg

P.S. Do you have the Sub Machine Gun Designers Handbook? I'm curious about the 9mm info in that book.

Also, remember what I told you about the bullet guide?

bison2_receiver.jpg

Edited by ARMOR

actuall i dont. i googled it and the whole thing was on one of those sites similar to scribed.

yep got the bullet guide issue bouncing around in my head. just need more time.

Edited by smartbomb

Could this build work on a 5.56 bolt face?..if 5.45 works with the "ring" welded and machined would'nt it be just a diffrent ID on a 5.56 bolt? this is just from what i've read..totally new but very interested in a build like this..

Edited by The Redmist

Thanks.. Would you recommend the flats for the 2XTM from akbuilder and the weld up mag well from Jack Squats?..or just a regular flat? any problems that I could run into building on a M85 kit?..

Definitely use the AK Builder flat if you don't make your own. As far as the Jack Squat magwells, unless you know someone who is willing to part with an original 2XTm magwell, it's about your only choice. Short of making one from scratch that is. I hear that people are very pleased with Jack's products. As far as the M85 kit, it will work, but that's gonna be a pretty expensive build, as the M85 kits aren't cheap. I would suggest using a Buly 74 kit, as it's usually under $200.00 for a barreless kit, and that will have everything you need. Now if you already have an M85 kit, and are bound and determined to use it, yes you can build on the M85.

Whichever way you go, good luck. It's a fun build, and nice to stretch out a bit from your standard AK type build.

• 2 weeks later...