My First Conversion

Hey guys.

Here's what i'd done before today:

th_DSC02879.jpg

th_DSC02880.jpg

th_DSC02883.jpg

th_DSC02884.jpg

Today I figured I'd do what i could with everything else...finish removing rivets and PG hole....putting in the trigger guard. all that.

Here is where I am at:

DSC02900.jpg

Now.... My questions

1. Is it okay if i dont use a PG nut, and just use a regular nut/washer? I forgot to order the screw and nut, then did yesterday. then i realized that my PG doesn't even use the long screw..... I have the Tapco SAW PG.

Pic: th_DSC02902.jpg

2. actually, i think that's the only question I have. everything has been really straightforward, and pretty easy. I'll need to paint when I'm done, but no major mishaps as of yet!

Maybe if you modified the PG. The floor of the PG(in the one I used, Im sure the Tapco too) is angled so if you used a normal nut then the angle would be wrong. The angle of the nut in the receiver would be 90 and the of the floor of the PG would be like 30. So torquing that down would pull the PG forward which might not be a big deal since it would just press into the trigger guard. But it might screw with the angle of the PG or worse make it near impossible to secure the PG(from wobbling).

Can you take a high res pic of the inside of the PG?

IMHO I'd just buy a PG nut...

there is a pretty good angle on the pistol grip nut, without it you are probably going to have issues locking down the pistol grip. If you wanted to use a bolt I would say put a bend in it just below the head so it's got the proper angle required to feed through the center of the pistol grip.

Also you can do the PG nut last, keep on moving with the rest of the build and come back to this as the finishing piece - if you do decide to order one (which I think would be best)...

Yeah i already ordered it the other day. Just dont have it yet, tapco seems to be pretty slow getting stuff out.

THere is kind of an angle, but it is actually pretty secure, but nothing major.

edit: Oh yeah, so this definitely answered my question. I didn't realize the PG nut-bushing thing was canted or angled...soo... now I know! THanks again guys!

Edited by chupacabrah

Well, Just for another opinion, my .223 (same receiver) pistol grip is held in by a brass toilet tank bolt. I had problems getting hold of the proper hardware but this has worked well for the past year. I'll probably order the "right stuff" when I can piggyback more items to save on shipping. Until then, it works fine!

i got my pg nut in the mail today. not a huge difference, but pg stability is better.

i went ahead and finished up my conversion today..... easy!

well all was easy except for the BHO lever/spring -- i couldnt even figure out that, so i just left it out. any good pointers on that?

all i have left to do is plug up some remaining holes, and install bullet guide (i ordered from dinzag, still waiting on that... his website says 6-8 weeks)

i'll have to take pics tommorrow

i used:

tapco

g2 single hook trigger

black ak std buttstock

blk SAW pg

tapco retaining plate

oh, i didnt mention it before, but this Saiga is 1) my first rifle and 2) a wedding gift from my wife of about 3 weeks :blues:

Edited by chupacabrah