Let's see some .410 conversion pics!

There sure doesn't seem to be much traffic in this part of the forum. Are the 410's that unpopular compaired to the 12's and others? It would be cool to see a photo thread with some of your 410 conversions. That one over in the 12 guage section is awesome. If I can figure out how to post an image I will put up a before pic.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not done yet. Waiting on the dinzag lower retainer and need to pick up a gas tube to butcher the upper retainers off of.  

Finished up my Saiga conversion this weekend. Pretty happy with the results and had a lot of fun doing it. Learned a lot about the weapon and would definitely take on the project again sometime (Maybe

Been stalking for awhile and thought i should start contributing. Here's my recently finished .410 build. Sorry for the crappy cel pics.  

Posted Images

There sure doesn't seem to be much traffic in this part of the forum. Are the 410's that unpopular compaired to the 12's and others?

12 gauge is more popular. Ammo is cheaper and their are more choices available for 12 than 410, but I do still like the 410. Here is my s-410 pic, its away right now @ firely arms getting a pg conversion and refinish done, I'll post those pics when I get it back.

P.S. to post a pick just click the "browse button under the "file attachment" heading when your posting your reply or new topic or editing.

Edited by chris410

Thanks guys. The Mak 90 is a Maadi Misr. (Egyptian/Chinese crossbreed) The stock is the original one that it was imported with it. It was bulky and very uncomfortable to handle, not to mention ugly. I just took it off and spent a few hours on it in the workshop. Cut the thumbhole out bigger and reshaped it and added the finger grooves with my dremmel and course sanding drum. Much better now! Still have not finished the wood. I'm not sure what kind of stain or finish would match best. Any suggestions?

Chris I read your thread on feeding problems. That's wierd that yours only messes up with the Barnauls because mine seems to like those best. However when it does misfeed it eats the plastic shells just like it does the metal ones. Leaves a big gouge or dent that makes it hard to try and reuse the round. Does yours leave a dent or crease in the spent metal cases? I dont know whether It's the new ammo I'm using now or what but I just put about two boxes of slugs and a box of #4 shot through her (all Barnaul) and didn't have one misfeed. Could it be that the mags take time to brake in or something? All I have now is 2 four round mags but I'm looking hard for a 10. Next time out I will run some of my old slugs through again and try some more of that Remington 2 3/4" shot and see if I have any problems. I'll let ya know.

I have 2 of the 3" magnum magazines and one for the 2.5" shells. I have *NEVER* wait... let me rephrase that... *N*E*V*E*R* had a shell misfeed in my Saiga.. EVER!!!! I have used Remington, barnaul, sellier and bellot... I have shot SLUGS, shot, buckshot loads, the whole 9 yards.. plastic casings, metal casing... NEVER had a problem.. but then.. I know to run SHORT shells thru the SHORT mag and LONG SHELLS thru the LONG MAGS... kinda self explanitory.. lends a DUH , if ya cant figure that out... :)

I really like my Saiga the way it came. Sort of like those guys who shoot skeet or trap. The shotguns that have the 'English' stock (no semblance of curved or pistol grip at all) are said to be the quickest to acquire a speeding target like a clay pigeon or a bird. I had plenty of experience with pistol grip equipped rifles in the Army. They are certainly great when firing either from a rifle pit or from the prone position but not my preference when shooting from the kneeling or standing position. Different strokes -- different folks. Nothing wrong with a PG-equipped rifle or shotgun.

_All_ my metal-cased Barnaul empties have a dent at the front of the case. It's due to the way the empty is flung out so forceably. If you fire a semi-auto pistol you may have noted the same sort of denting. I know I sure do with my M-400 Astra pistol.

NEVER had a problem..  but then.. I know to run SHORT shells thru the SHORT mag and LONG SHELLS thru the LONG MAGS...  kinda self explanitory..  lends a DUH , if ya cant figure that out...  :)

Duhuh? The plastic 2 3/4" shells I was referring to ARE 3" shells once they are fired and the crimp opens. Guess that's why they're labled 3" on the box. Just like the Barnaul is labled 410/70 for 70mm(=2 3/4") They are both 2 3/4" shells when loaded into the mag. They still can and do misfeed in many other people's Saigas besides mine and Chris410's who are also using the right mags and ammo. Consider yourself lucky IndyArms. But like I said mine has not had problems in a long time so maybe it's a break in thing with the mags or someting. I still love mine and I'm lookin forward to doing the rest of my conversion as soon as my parts arive. She's gonna be Hella Killa!

I have 2 of the 3" magnum magazines and one for the 2.5" shells. I have *NEVER* wait... let me rephrase that... *N*E*V*E*R* had a shell misfeed in my Saiga.. EVER!!!! I have used Remington, barnaul, sellier and bellot... I have shot SLUGS, shot, buckshot loads, the whole 9 yards.. plastic casings, metal casing... NEVER had a problem.. but then.. I know to run SHORT shells thru the SHORT mag and LONG SHELLS thru the LONG MAGS... kinda self explanitory.. lends a DUH , if ya cant figure that out... :)

I have only the 3"mags and I use only 3" shells and I have *ALWAYS* wait ... let me rephrase that... *A*L*W*A*Y*S* had problems with the barnauls. Do you honestly think I am just making it up or that I could be so ignorant? Believe me I would love for them to feed properly cause there so cheap.!!! But then this is supposed to be a picture thread.. kinda self explanitory... lends a DUH (whatever that means) if you cant figure that out.

Hey Cobra... Check out EAA's website, you can buy those choke tubes directly from them... BUT... DONT BUY the package.. ( with three tubes in it) because for the price, you will just get a second thread protector.. just buy the improved cylinder choke and the full choke separately.. best way to go about it.. specially at like 15 bucks for the extra thread protector, when you buy the package.

IndyArms, nice shoulder stock! Where did you get it? What scope are you using?

The stock is a standard WASR10 "dragunov" style stock. Fits on perfectly.. no mods needed to it or the receiver.

The scope is a Russian self adjusting PK-01 RED DOT style scope with the AK mount and the offset rings.

Works very nice for hunting rabbit and squirrel, as well as trap shooting.

not many people shoot skeet with a .410, but it DOES shoot great!!

With the zero power red dot, you can EASILY keep both eyes open, and still have a very fast target aquisition. where the red dot goes, the shot pattern will center.

Mbsk01, Nice job making the orig. trigger pin holes disappear. What do they call that style of choke with the holes all around. Anyone know? Is it supposed to function like a brake or hider? Why the holes?

What do they call that style of choke with the holes all around. Anyone know? Is it supposed to function like a brake or hider? Why the holes?

When I've seen handgun barrels with holes like you describe, it's called a 'compensator'. It isn't a flash hider (and I don't quite grasp the meaning of 'brake') but is supposed to reduce muzzle climb. But there wouldn't be any holes on the bottom 1/3 of the barrel.

Mbsk01, Nice job making the orig. trigger pin holes disappear. What do they call that style of choke with the holes all around. Anyone know? Is it supposed to function like a brake or hider? Why the holes?

Cobra,

Thanks for the compliment. I don't know what they call that muzzle attachment, but it makes me worry that I don't have enough US parts. I used JB Weld to fill in the extra holes, and tried to smooth it over a bit, before the repaint. To me, it looks like 2 more spot welds.

I think I've had it close to 3 years, seems it was imported by Big Bear Arms in Dallas, TX (my area :smoke: ) and I am pretty sure they aren't around anymore.

Aethelbert, thank you too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK let's try this one more time. Here she is after many hours in the workshop and many $$ in parts and accessories..It was a lot of fun and I look forward to doing another one. The next one should take about half the time. :smoke:

post-4-1105118001.jpg

Edited by Cobra 76 two

Well I wanted to post more than one shot at a time but after spending more time trying to figure out how than it took me to move my fcg forward I guess I will give up and try one at a time. Sorry I'm definitely no computer geek but I do love firearms.

post-4-1105118466.jpg