Let's see some .410 conversion pics!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not done yet. Waiting on the dinzag lower retainer and need to pick up a gas tube to butcher the upper retainers off of.  

Finished up my Saiga conversion this weekend. Pretty happy with the results and had a lot of fun doing it. Learned a lot about the weapon and would definitely take on the project again sometime (Maybe

Been stalking for awhile and thought i should start contributing. Here's my recently finished .410 build. Sorry for the crappy cel pics.  

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sweet man! That's coming along nicely! You should be able to get a FSB from Bulgy AK-74 to work good with that. That's what I used on my 410. Wow this is an old thread Mine has come a ways since then too.

OK guys first range test went badly. FTE. Bolt cycled about 3/4" and that was that. Talked to Will at Redstick and he suggested adjusting the piston in the gasblock. Any of you guys that did the AKM conversion experience this?

UPDATE: 1840hrs. Tried the adjusted piston with no success. Pulled the gasblock and opened up the port to AKM size.

Will test this theory and report back. Was going to video the gas block removal but got too busy.

OUT

Edited by rbthntr64

rbthnr64 Have you changed anything in the gas system? Did you put the piston itself back in? (on Saiga shotguns, the part that would be a gaspiston on AK's is more of a relay rod, it is flat fronted to work with the freefloating piston. On regular AKs it is concave and is the piston)

• Like 1

Yup! Piston is in but may not be quite long enough and I think the port was too small. Will try it again in about 30 min.

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Jan 18 2007, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rbthnr64 Have you changed anything in the gas system? Did you put the piston itself back in? (on Saiga shotguns, the part that would be a gaspiston on AK's is more of a relay rod, it is flat fronted to work with the freefloating piston. On regular AKs it is concave and is the piston)

rbthntr64

No man don't do anything to the GB! Oh shit. You don't want to make it a single shot do you...lol. If you tried firing it with a vented gas tube and it tried to work then it will definately work with a non vented tube. The rifles have enough a different gas piston setup like normal AKs and the vents don't hinder the operation of the bolt, they just help keep it cooler and cleaner. With the gas system on the shotties you need a solid gas tube.

Johnny Gun

That was my first conversion and I did the vents by hand with a dremel, files and sandpaper. It took me hours!

I can do the vents in yours just like that if you send me the HG. I have an endmill set up now to do those with a cross slide vice to keep them perfectly straight and even. Even with that setup it takes me 45 minutes to an hour. I've done them for many of our members.

PM me if interested.

Well, I have updated my .410... and with a chance for some more shameless photo ops... I am on it!!! :up::lol::up:

That handgaurd on your .410 is gorgeous, is that some of BRG3's work? I must know who made that, what type of wood, stain, everything.... I'm drooling.

My gas tube was not vented The gas block is. Two small holes on each side. Filling them would not make it a single shot.

Oh ok gotcha. Cobra bites his own tail again...lol. I was thinking about a normal 410 GB and was referring to the holes in the barrel...DUH :bag:

JK-47 (kickass scereen name BTW, Ive been meaning to comment on that, got a friend named JK)

That forend is off of a Russian VEPR.

Not sure where you can find one but you are not alone in your search...

Thanks JK-47!!! :up:

And yes, Cobra is correct... that is a VEPR handguard... I actually scored it by accident, as someone was selling it here as a Saiga .308 handguard... and I bought it up. When I got it I was like... "WTF IS THIS?!?!?! now WHAT do I *DO* with it?!!?!?"

I think I found the PROPER THING TO DO WITH IT!! :up: :up:

I dont know where you could find another one... hell... my buddy saw it like that for the first time yesterday when I took it out Bunny hunting... and he got a WOOD chubby... Now HE wants me to try to find him a set like mine, to do his... I told him it would probably be nigh impossible... but who knows...

I also got REALLY lucky to find the matching thumbhole... I have *NEVER* seen one that color, and I used to sell them... I had 30 of them at one time... always were blonde or reddish... I have NEVER seen the dark brown, so when that popped up I almost went into conniptions to make sure I bought it!! Thankfully Crow and Thousandson are a GOOD bunch of guys, and hooked me up! We had a little three way deal set up and everyone came out happy!!

Again... I wish you luck to find one... but I wouldnt hold my breath. They are finer than frogs hair and hens teeth to procure one, I think... but GOOD LUCK!!!! Ya never know... you might just get lucky!! :up:

JK47 and Indy'd bud...I'm very good at tracking down things and scoring them when most think it's a lost cause....

Think of Faceman from the A team... :angel:

Sometimes I fall somewhere inbetween him and Murdock...lol but that's another story..lol.

Anyway if i was to find such an item, tell me, what it would be worth to you guys???

I can be pretty resouceful :ph34r:

O.K. Here's the transformation of my Saiga 410.

I have a newer pic coming shortly that completes the chapter.

These were taken between Jan '06 and May '06...

post-2093-1169595502_thumb.jpg

Factory Config

post-2093-1169595124_thumb.jpg

PG conversion the day after it was brought home.

post-2093-1169595243_thumb.jpg

AKM RSB mod with synthetic furniture

post-2093-1169595303_thumb.jpg

AKM upper/lower HG/gas tube swap with wood

post-2093-1169595408_thumb.jpg

New furniture set dyed in red

As for the above question, no mods to the gas ports and it functions flawlessly.

However I never swapped out the gas block...

• Like 1