• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
first post. glad to be here. just to make sure, if i do conversion work on my factory x39 to make it 922R compliant, i DO NOT need to fill out one of these forms?

Correct, as long as you maintain at least a 16 inch barrel.

• 3 months later...
first post. glad to be here. just to make sure, if i do conversion work on my factory x39 to make it 922R compliant, i DO NOT need to fill out one of these forms?

Correct, as long as you maintain at least a 16 inch barrel.

The form can also be found here http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53201.pdf also remember when you print it out to do so front and back. Thanks to everyone for all the great info on this site, but like most people my head still hurts from trying to figure out 922r compliance. So I figure I will just go ahead and apply for a SBS and go from there, even if I do not actually cut shorter than 16".

Now if I could get reader (which I purcashed) to actually work... AHA, it doesn't with Vista.

Free reader time.

I gotta look up how you Form 1 stuff. I know nothing about it and know that someday I'll be chopping something. I'm thinking a side by side with external hammers. I've been looking for a really cheap one at gun stores, but the ugliest crappiest SxS that I find is always like $800 and pieces are falling off of it, the wood is cracked, there's a ton of surface rust, etc. And the new ones I see are all made in east bloc countries and have cracked wood.

Edited by Twinsen
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's a little more than just documentation. The ATF Form 1 is essentially an application for a tax stamp allowing the creation and registration of an NFA item; an SBS, SBR, DD, Machine Gun (now only legal as an individual if being created for LE/MIL), Suppressor or AOW.

You can use the original serial number if you are modifying an existing weapon, and must provide a serial number if you are creating a new weapon; also, you as the manufacturer must stamp certain information on the receiver.

DO NOT accept what I am telling you as the ultimate authority, rather only as a helpful guide. I have never completed a Form 1, only a Form 4. Before you make any modifications that would produce an NFA-restricted device, be absolutely certain that you have fulfilled all the requirements of the law. This will require further research, and it's worth it to make sure you stay out of federal prison.

IF I recall correctly, the required information to be stamped/engraved is your name (I've been told initials suffice) and your city and state. The minimum size and depth of the stamping/engraving are also specified. Once the form has been completed, it must be sent to the ATF for approval. This takes a long time (my recent NFA approval took 3 months), and you must not create the item until you have received the approved paperwork with the affixed tax stamp. The creation tax for any NFA item is $200, and although the transfer tax is only $5 for an AOW you must still pay the full $200 to create one.

Hope that helps give you a basic understanding of the process. A wealth of information can be found on the ATF's website: http://www.atf.gov

Thanks Jerry for the post! Saved to the HD :D

• 11 months later...

Does this mean I'd need to submit a Form 1 if I install a barrel with either a threaded muzzle or a threaded flash suppressor, since I could just as easily install a noise suppressor as a flash suppressor?

Or does Form 1 only apply to making the suppressor itself?

Does this mean I'd need to submit a Form 1 if I install a barrel with either a threaded muzzle or a threaded flash suppressor, since I could just as easily install a noise suppressor as a flash suppressor?

Or does Form 1 only apply to making the suppressor itself?

So long as your barrel doesn't meet the length requirements to be considered an NFA weapon, threads mean nothing.

The suppressor is an NFA item.

In this instance, a flash suppressor (threading the barrel) isn't something you'd need a Form 1 on.

However - for a SOUND/SONIC suppressor (Silencer, Can, et. al.), you'd need a form 1 to make one, or a form 4 to buy one, and transfer it to you....