conversion why?

Ok, as the title says, I want to do a S12 conversion, but I'd like to keep the FCG where it is. What is the pro's and con's of moving the the FCG and installing a pistol grip in that location verses the stock location and a pistol grip behind the reciever? I really would like to know more of this conversion, and yes I did a forum search and found lots of great info. I just wanted to know about why the move, is it function, asthetic, or what? Thanks for any info, I'm at that stage that I have to decide which way I need to go?

post-8836-1209166489_thumb.jpg

Looks aside, it is more physiologically correct, I think.

The moving of the trigger guard and the addition of the Monte Carlo stock was a step they took to be able to get the firearm imported into the more "restricted" countries. The weapon was not originally designed this way, and putting it back to its original setup just makes it "right".

Pros for full conversion: Better looks, Better balance, Better Feel.

Cons for full conversion: Depending on what model you have you may need to have some skills with a drill press/mill. and maybe a couple good bits. and some files. Some Knowledge about AKs helps too. But it can be done in a weekend with the proper equipment and supplies. Carbide drill bits help alot.

Pros for the stick on pistol grip: It's EASY!!! just a couple of screws and your done.

Cons for the stick on pistol grip: IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP!!!. and depending on your length of arms may make your gun handle akwardly. It denys you the ability to swap out for any buttstock that is made for a stamped AK. Side folders, Colapsables, Fixed, Wood, Plastic, Metal. you used this pistol grip and it really limits your ability to change out for a different look.

I still say do the full conversion. If I purchased another saiga 12 I would do it in a heartbeat. It really isn't that difficult and if you run into trouble there is alot of people around that have already done conversions and can probably help out pretty quickly.

It's fun.

There is probably somebody within 50 miles of where you live that will help you.

If you are really a Saiga fan, you'll photograph every step of the way and share the experience with us.

Don't forget: Disaster build stories are really funny. Not funny when it happens, but as time goes on...

PROS

Better trigger pull and feel,

Pistol grip is better for your wrist, the palm of your hand will take up the recoil instead of your wrist, of course your shoulder does the same. I hope you have shot it a lot, it will make a difference if you do the conversion,as you will feel the difference,

It increases the value of your shotgun as well.

it does look better too.

If you do the conversion, you can always go back, but I doubt you will.

You can buy a pistol grip that will work without converting it to get the feel , but the trigger is the part that definitely needs to be changed.

You may not be able to convert it if you wait til after the next election.

Ask around on this site, see if anyone in your area will let you shoot their shotgun

adjustable pull length (adjustable stocks)

ITs fun and addictive, I started with 1 AK kit, now I've done and additional AK, Romanian PSL, 2 Saiga 12s, have an uzi, cetme and another AK waiting

CONS

The trigger is sloppy and grabby

its done, but Its still only worth what you paid for it, wanna sell it?

your stuck with the stock length the factory gave you

:dollar:

thats it

It can be a fun hobby, you get to show your friends before and after pictures, It becomes something you created and it is fun as hell to blow through 500 rounds in a half hour. Share it with your friends and I bet they"ll want one

If you leave it the way it was imported, then you are just letting the enemies of the 2nd Amendment win. It's un-American and insult to your freedoms.

What caused it to be imported in the non-PG configuration is a bogus rule about how it needs to cosmetically look "sporting." This is an unconstitutional rule that has no purpose but to make the people who want to infringe on your rights feel better. To tolerate that is to condone it. It is also disrespectful to the original design by Mr. Kalashnikov.

So out of respect for Mr. Kalashnikov, the Constitution of the United States, yourself and all freedom loving Americans, put it back to the way it is supposed to be.

post-1629-1209194643.gif

Thanks all for all the info. I guess I will have to break down and do the conversion. Now since I do not have the time, nor facilities to do this, I'll have to gladly pay for it to be done. :dollar: Now who to send it to. :dollar:

post-8836-1209213220_thumb.jpg

If you leave it the way it was imported, then you are just letting the enemies of the 2nd Amendment win. It's un-American and insult to your freedoms.

What caused it to be imported in the non-PG configuration is a bogus rule about how it needs to cosmetically look "sporting." This is an unconstitutional rule that has no purpose but to make the people who want to infringe on your rights feel better. To tolerate that is to condone it. It is also disrespectful to the original design by Mr. Kalashnikov.

So out of respect for Mr. Kalashnikov, the Constitution of the United States, yourself and all freedom loving Americans, put it back to the way it is supposed to be.

post-1629-1209194643.gif

:super: :super: :super:

The Tromix modified trigger group is MUCH better than the factory setup. Shorter throw, and smoother action.

The smaller AK stock makes the gun easier to bring up to your shoulder and get the sights on target. Less weight hanging on the very nose of the gun.

The hardest part of the conversion was getting the rivets out. I milled the head completely off, and they still wouldn't punch through. So I went back into the garage and setup a chuck and drilled all the way through the rivets. At that point they were pretty easy to punch through, I just would have rather done it all at once instead of milling, trying to punch through, then go back and setup the mill again.

The only other hard parts were holding the BHO spring in place (the dental floss trick fixed that though), figuring out the sequence of installation, and getting my safety select lever axis rod to go through the Krebs retainer plate and into the receiver. The retainer plate wasn't aligned so it would push the axis rod up too high to go into the hole in the receiver. I ended up round filing the middle loop in the retainer plate to just barely get everything together.

But it's together, and I did it all one day after work (although I started at 5, and wasn't done at the pistol grip level until 11 at night).

If I had to do it again I could cut that in half I'm sure. Only tool the mill once, use dental floss right away instead of goofing around for ~2 hours...

Ok, as the title says, I want to do a S12 conversion, but I'd like to keep the FCG where it is. What is the pro's and con's of moving the the FCG and installing a pistol grip in that location verses the stock location and a pistol grip behind the reciever? I really would like to know more of this conversion, and yes I did a forum search and found lots of great info. I just wanted to know about why the move, is it function, asthetic, or what? Thanks for any info, I'm at that stage that I have to decide which way I need to go?

I did mine with the Tromix piston, Dinzag FCG, Ace block/stock/pistol grip, red dot site, shark break, and have made sure to get the parts count under 9 imported. I did it this way because I could do it myself and save money. So far I am very pleased. I do not know if the professionally converted guns handle any better, but I am able to engage steel targets during tactical scenarios in approx. 1/2 second each. The mod I would like to do is the LRBHO which I am waiting for the right product to come out, unless I do it first. Hope this helps. Scott

Now to through a rat in the soup. The moved trigger group and pistol grip make it a little more difficult to hunt birds with (IMHO). I have one converted and one original. I always take the monte carlo stock to the field. The conversion is only taken out when I want to impress the buddies with a cool looking shotgun. I can shoot the heck out of the cans with a conversion but don't seem to be able to bring down the birds with it, which kind of makes it look silly.

I am hoping to do the LRBHO on both when it becomes available to work with the MD drums.

No plans to convert mine, I like it the way it is. Also like my .308 woodie the way it is. I did convert the wife's .410 and I want a .223 and a x-39 to convert. I just think there is a point where the larger recoil is best adressed in the lomger format, and the lighter recoil weapons are handyer with the PG conversion.

YMMV, void where prohibited, end user accepts all liability.

The linkage supported trigger that comes on an "as is" S-12 is really mushy and not conducive to competitive performance shooting such as myself and many people here do. If you just want it for hunting or home defense, then leave it as is, but if you do IPSC and other run-and-gun stuff, you can improve it greatly with a conversion.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but for anyone considering a conversion, look at this:

post-393-1221952381_thumb.jpg

I got sick of looking at an impractical shotgun and decided to make it into something with what I could manage.

I'd still like to get the barrel chopped and get some choke tubes for it, so I can at least run a slug every now and then.

The optics are pretty damn nice too, it's a barska electro sight. It was zero'd in right out of the box.

I took it out and did a few rapid mag dumps last night and all I have to say is wow.

I love the stock, it balances really nice and took about 2 inches off over all length. And the clear magazine is much better than a black one, in my opinion, so you can keep track of how many rounds you have left without trying to count.

Edited by Mephis