Saiga .223 w/ 20 inch barrel bullet guide installation

I finally got around to installing a bullet guide in my Saiga .223 with a 20 inch barrel. The trunnion on my Saiga is flat where the bullet guide goes so a piece of pipe won't work. A bullet guide is needed in a Saiga if you want to use Galil Orlite mags. The bullet guide lifts the bullet up into the chamber.

1. First I purchased some steel from my local hardware store.

SaigaBGD.jpg

2. Then I drilled and tapped the trunnion for a 8/32 screw. I like the 8/32 better than a 6/32 because the tap is stronger and doen't break like the 6/32 did. I also purchased a stainless steel 8/32 screw. Drilling and tapping the trunnion is not hard, just go slow. When using the tap be sure to apply oil when turning the tap. Also turn the tap forward about a quarter turn then reverse so the steel cut can be removed from the hole.

SaigaBG20A.jpg

3. I then use a Dremel Tool to cut and shape the steel from the hardware store into the bullet guide. The steel must be cut to a width that fits into flat area below the bullet chamber. I shape the bullet guide on my rifles so the bullet guide fits into the space between the barrel and trunnion. This helps hold the bullet guide in place. I then cut the bullet guide to length so that the finished bullet guide extends over the Orlite mag so it lines up at the edge of the bullet follower in the mag. Then it is just a slow process of cutting and grinding with the Dremel Tool until the rifle when cycled by hand successfully chambers a round. There are preformed bullet guides available from Dinzag at http://www.saiga-12.com/ for a very reasonable price.

SaigaBG20B.jpg

During this process I also drill the hole in the bullet guide so it can be screwed into the trunnion. I do not make any measurements when doing this. It is all done by eye. I make my bullet guides a little long so I can remove metal to get the drilled hole in the bullet guide to line up with the hole in the trunnion.

4. On this bullet guide I used some soft points to check the chambering. I do this by remove the operating spring and just push the bolt and bolt carrier forward by hand pressure only. I insert one or two bullets in a Orlite mag then push the bolt carrier forward at a fast speed. If the bullet does not chamber I then remove a little more metal from the bullet guide until it does. The bullet guide also must be low enough so the bolt can travel over it. Just remove a little metal at a time and try again....Patience is a necessary thing here. I did notice the soft points were getting banged up when they hit the face of the bullet guide. So I cut two shallow grooves in the bullet guide so the soft points hit the bullet guide at a shallower angle. It worked great.

SaigaBGc.jpg

5. I also put a shallow bevel in the barrel below the chamber to assist the bullets into the chamber. Polishing this area helps too.

6. The Galil Orlites mags need a small rib of plastic to be removed so they lock into the Saiga .223/5.56 rifles. It is simple to do this with a Dremel Tool and takes about a minute a mag to do. The rib must be removed from both sides of the mag.

maggalil.jpg

Well.....Thats about it. I hope this helps those interested in converting a Saiga to use Galil Orlite mags. The finished product is worth it.

Saiga20galil.jpg

AKMIKEFMJ,

That's a fine job you did there. I wish I had your metal working talents. Oh, the things I'd like to do to some of my stuff.

We folks that can't do or don't have the resources will have to make do with the Dinzag Arms Flat Trunion Bullet Guide Kit for $32.00.

A bullet guide is needed in a Saiga if you want to use Galil Orlite mags.
A bullet guide is also required if you want to use East German Weigers, the Romanian Weiger knockoffs, Bulgarians 5.56 waffles, .223 Pro-Mags, and converted ak74 mags.