M4 Socom stock instead of tromix stock

I could use some assistance please if anyone has had any experience. I like the tromix stock I really do but I am ready for a change and I really think I would like the Ace Socom stock maybe the lightweight does anyone know if I got the folding mechanism from tromix which stock should I buy from ace in order to go on with NO FUSS. Any feedback would be thankfully accepted

Ken

Hello

I have all three of those stocks. All of mine are mounted to an Ace hinge, and that is mounted to an internal Ace receiver block. If you have a welded-on Tromix receiver plate, I would imagine it would accomodate the Ace hinge, or the Ace stocks directly, but I don't know first hand.

guido2 in Houston

You can use the Ace AR adapter to mount the SOCOM stock. Any of the "Ace-compatible" receiver options will work: Tromix weld-plate or Ace bolt-in block. The hinge is optional and fits all the above-named hardware.

pn.jpg

I had a Socom for awhile but the recoil of the s12 basicly started to beat the locking mechanism into submission. The little metal tabs on the tube that hold the stock in place started to bend over. It started to be difficult to change settings and often would lock up. I disassembled everything and had to take a file to clean up the areas that started to mushroom. I ended up tradeing the stock for a CTR and I have been pretty happy with the trade so far. In my opinion the Socom is great for low recoil stuff but I dont think it will hold up to the S12 in the long run. Also I shot mostly the bulk 1 1/8 shot stuff and very little 00buck.

socom010bp4.jpg

Edited by hunter121
Ace now makes this folding mechanism:

FSM-AR-120x96.jpg

Hey that's pretty cool.

The best part is that it raises the AR15 stocks up higher than you could before, and allows for the use of A1 and A2 stocks.

People will hang that M4 stock off of damned near anything...... sigh......

I agree, it usually doesn't look good on an AK...but I have to admit the SWAT shorty we made came out pretty cool.

I had a Socom for awhile but the recoil of the s12 basicly started to beat the locking mechanism into submission. The little metal tabs on the tube that hold the stock in place started to bend over. It started to be difficult to change settings and often would lock up. I disassembled everything and had to take a file to clean up the areas that started to mushroom. I ended up tradeing the stock for a CTR and I have been pretty happy with the trade so far. In my opinion the Socom is great for low recoil stuff but I dont think it will hold up to the S12 in the long run. Also I shot mostly the bulk 1 1/8 shot stuff and very little 00buck.

socom010bp4.jpg

Thanks for the concise description of the problem, and the pic.

I've heard about this problem on other forums too. It seem to be more of an issue on 50 BMG or Beowulf uppers (and shotguns), but iirc I also heard a few issues on ARF.com too.

Hello

Personally, I think the SOCOM stock looks a helluva lot better than the "CAR"-type Tapco AR stock. Fact is, nothing really "flows" from an AK-Saiga receiver except a solid-type stock.

That being said, I don't think the SOCOM is nearly as much about form as it is function. Other than the weaknesses detailed above, which have just recently started to appear, I think the SOCOM is likley the most FUNCTIONAL stock for an AK/Saiga platform, especially with a folding mechanism.

Of the different stocks I have on my Saigas, I personally think the Tromix "Competition" stock looks the best, but that is pretty coincidental to me. I like to think I'm a "function over form" type of guy, and fortunately, the Tromix is excellent in that regard, too.

-If you're concerned about appearing "tacticool", just leave it unconverted.

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

Yea,putting a AR stock on a AK type rifle would be like putting a camaro front clip on a mustang it just doesnt belong,but then again to each his own,as long as it looks tactacool at the range :lolol:

The SWAT guys like the M4 folders on their Breaching guns so they can adjust the LOP for varying thicknesses of body armor. Actually I think it looks pretty good. The angle of attachment has a lot to do with it.

SWATLg.jpg

"so they can adjust the LOP for varying thicknesses of body armor"

Ditto for the SOCOM stock. One of the reasons I think it's such a functional item. Although, instead of body armor, I can easily adjust it for my wife's LOP!

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

The SWAT guys like the M4 folders on their Breaching guns so they can adjust the LOP for varying thicknesses of body armor. Actually I think it looks pretty good. The angle of attachment has a lot to do with it.

SWATLg.jpg

This is my new/current build. I went thru the same problem when I was deciding what to do with this one. My two previous saiga-12s had Ace Skeleton side folders and I was getting a little tired of them. I wanted to keep this gun as light as possible but retain maximum functionality. I decided to go with a tapco telescoping stock. I had put one on a friends .308 and I decided I liked it. Suprisingly enough its quite durable. After the initail build I found the recoil a little too stiff for my taste and decided to put a 1/2" pad on the butt and port the barrel. IMO its really whatever gets the job done. I too used to think AR stocks looked goofy on AK type weapons but its definantly grown on me. Try the socom stock, if you don't like it, you can always change it later.

post-116-1209706334_thumb.jpg

post-116-1209706343_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to add an AK-style stock to the new Ace folding stock mechanism for solid AR-15 stocks as shown in this thread? I already have a Socom stock with the folding mechanism on my Saiga 12.

I know you can easily add collapsible AR-15 stocks to an AK, but how about the other way around, adding an AK stock to an AR-15 or Saiga 12? Thanks in advance for your comments.