What would you pay for a new S12

Prices on S12s have been climbing quickly as of late. Every place I have spoken to has said they don't know when they will have more but the price will be definately be higher when they get them. My local shop said they sold the last shipment in 24 hrs. The only ones around seem to be on unbroker and are a lot. With that in mind what would you pay for a unfired new in box 19" S12?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If no more come into the country. I would pay the going rate which sounds like $500.00-$1000.00 stock. The way I see it is I get what I want no matter how much I have to pay within reason. Saigas are the only guns coming from Russia that I know of(could be wrong). That's rare in itself. Not to mention kool factor, AK reliability, durability, accesories and add-ons. So, no need to be cheap for me. You get lots of bang for your $$$$ on these shotties. FMJ.

I am still waiting for my $399 S-12 to arrive from Centerfire (total of about $430 after shipping and transfer). I paid $450 OTD including tax for my last one. I quit buying when I can't get one for $500 OTD.

I keep waiting for people to come out saying that they got their $399 S12's. I wonder how long I will have to wait to hear it.

I think they are like gas, gone up and aint gonna come back down. :cryss:

I would be shocked if they will sell thiers for $399. I think they will be in the $500 range. Distributors watch the market the same as we do. The average price on GB now is $750 to $830 for a stock one. A month ago they were a few hundred less. The longer it takes for them to come into the country, the more the price will increase. Just because some of us have paid much less in the past and are not willing to pay more, there are whole lot more that did not get them and are willing to pay even more because their local gun store can not get them.

What i personally would pay? $500 max limit

What the general public would pay (most of which who don't already own one)? sky high limit

Basically the same thing as milsurp ammo. Whenever good .308 is found, it's sold out within a couple hours. Now .308 ammo is 4 times what it used to be. Supply and demand.

Also keeping in mind that the local gun stores have started the "get it before it's banned" ruse, I forsee major price hikes on any evil-featured rifle/shotgun this year.

I've got my fill, so I don't anticipate buying any more. That being said, if I did not have an S12 I would find it very hard to pay more than $500 to $550 out the door. The main reason is that you still need to buy US parts and convert the gun and potentially refinish.

If they get substantially above that price, I definitely think someone will just start making them in the US because it becomes financially attractive. I mean think about it... other than the trunion, ejector block, and gas block, and bolt carrier assembly... the rest of the parts are relatively easy to produce by a US manufacturer or are already being produced. If someone really wanted to compete why not produce a US version of the SWAT model for $1500...... they'd fly off the shelves.

Edited by RDSWriter

$500 max limit for me as well. These are good guns, but you can look at them and its doesnt take much to build them, they are a really low tech gun. I think 500 is a little much, but its what i would pay to buy a couple more. I like how you call gilbertsons and ask if they have any and they say no they are out, but they are selling them on GB for max price on auction. I understand they are a business, but to be a distributor and hold a hundred or two guns off the market and only release 2 a week for auction is kind of greedy, their profit margin is probably a 100% or more.

CJG

The thing everone needs to remember it only takes ONE idiot to drive up GB auction prices !!!!! Some poor sap who bought into the hype and scare is being bumped up by the dealer or his buddy. This leads to "the sky is falling" and the price hike that ensues.

WE.......CONTROL THE MARKET............NOT THEM !!!!!! Want lower prices? Simple, DON'T PAY STUPID HIGH PRICES and the market will settle. It all starts with us. We need to not buy in to this just because they are hard to find right now........AND WE NEED TO LET OTHER KNOW THIS ALSO !!!!!!

There is ABSOLUTLY NO EXCUSE for these things to cost this much when IT'S THE CHEAPEST FIREARM IN THE WORLD !!!!!!! Look at what else you can get for the same inflated price. WE ....need to contact dealers who want stupid money for these things and tell them WE'RE NOT GOING TO PAY IT, WE'LL WAIT OR DO WITHOUT !!!!!!! Sure, they'll still sell a few to idiots, but they would see how many sales (and $$) they are missing out on. They'd make more $$$ selling volume as there cost is less.

They come out of Russia, so what !!! " But that's where AK's are supposed to come from" :o . BIG DEAL !!!!!!

Last I checked, I wouldn't want to stop a slug that came out of a Stevens crack barrel or a piece of 3/4"waterpipe made in India !!!!!!

They can be made elsewhere.....AND THEY SHOULD BE if this is how "they are gonna play" !!!!!!

I'd pay good money for one................MADE IN AMERICA OUT OF STAINLESS !!!!!!!! But to pay this much money for a cheaply made gun in a communtist counrty SWOREN TO DESTROY US is ridiculous !!!!!!!!!

Someone needs to step up and put these things into production HERE or somewhere else !!!!!

Yeah, they're "rare" right now.......so is a 47 pound horse terd and I don't see anybody paying $1000 for those either !!!

And what is this thread supposed to be about, future market price increase?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Gotta do a little research to see how much folks can be gouged?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

A little cynical eh? I would like to round out my Saiga collection. I recently bought a .223 and a 7.62 and am well pleased with the performance of both and I dont yet own a tactical shotgun and believe the 19" saiga 12 would serve that purpose well. I simply want to know what people think is a fair price for one. I have looked online and localy for over a month with out finding one. They come up on gunbroker and I am curious at what price people think they are a good buy, a fair deal, pricey but what one needs to pay to play right now and when they become a total a rip off.

I suppose I am curious to future market prices. Should I wait and think they will be less? The impression I have been getting from everyone is that they will be more expensive when they come in (it seems all guns are goin up right now) and they will sell quickly.

And what is this thread supposed to be about, future market price increase?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

A little cynical eh? I would like to round out my Saiga collection. I recently bought a .223 and a 7.62 and am well pleased with the performance of both and I dont yet own a tactical shotgun and believe the 19" saiga 12 would serve that purpose well. I simply want to know what people think is a fair price for one. I have looked online and localy for over a month with out finding one. They come up on gunbroker and I am curious at what price people think they are a good buy, a fair deal, pricey but what one needs to pay to play right now and when they become a total a rip off.

I suppose I am curious to future market prices. Should I wait and think they will be less? The impression I have been getting from everyone is that they will be more expensive when they come in (it seems all guns are goin up right now) and they will sell quickly.

I do not think anyone knows for sure when the next batch will be available or how much they will cost. A fair price is whatever you are comfortable paying. As long as you enjoy it and have fun, it doesn't matter what it cost, at least you will have one. We can say how much that we will never pay for something and then have to pay more than that later if we really want it. $700-$800 may be a steal of a deal this time next year.

I personally think anyone who pays more than $500 to $550 for an unconverted S-12 is spending too much time in the Stevens waterbarrel or crack pipe..or was that water pipe and barrel of crack? hrmmmm :unsure:

Agreed, we all have to stick together. It's simple, first batch will go fast and high. Things may settle down, but we ALL have to work together and say no to high prices.

Problem is the comming election and a panic is bound to happen.

Personally I question the saiga 12's ability as an all out "tactical" weapon in long term, worse case senarios in bad conditions (no resupply avalible).

Yeah, it's great to clean a crack house with, but prolonged "Katrina" style conditions and long term engagements are yet to be tested with cheaply made 10 ROUND American mags and bulky, expensive 20 rd drums?

I honestly don't see how a "domestic civilian" unit deployed deeply can carry and supply itself with enough mags and ammo to be "tactically" effective in situations that last longer than the time it takes to clear a single building........especially without supplies comming up from the rear. I think they're great for LE or personal/"home" defense, but not "militia" type units.

Problem is stupid plastic mags. How many can you afford !?!?!?!?!? More importantly, how many can you carry.....along with ammo to reload them while in the field..........along with all of your other gear ????? How many will you need in a bad "tactical" situation?

Once you run out of full mags, you're left with stuffing empties, and I'd rather a tube feed gun at that point. Don't forget.......... how many mags will you break or lose????

I have 5 AGP's and love them. I've never had a single problem with them, but I really wouldn't want to "field test" them in long term, critical situtaions. I also wouldn't want to drop my gun with one in it either.

Given a cheap, metal, double stack mag, my opinion changes.

If I had to head out the door with little chance being able to return and had to choose only one 12 ga as a "tactical" weapon, I'd grab my grandfather's Winchester Model 25 and as much ammo as I could carry. It has NEVER failed to deliver over 50 years and three generation......and will fire ringed birdshot "homemade" slugs (something a Saiga 12 won't).

To me, this is "tactical", not shooting the guy breaking in your neighbors house. This is MY opinion....and I'm by no means an expert ,nor a tactician.

If you don't take these concerns into account, why get a "tactical" gun to begin with?

If in a milliatry unit that was being supplied...OR....If I was bunkered well and had a good supply of ammo and could toss empty mags back to my wife to reload..........that is a totally different situation.

Other opinions are SURE to vary. I'm sure other will disagree.

Before anyone blows up, I'm not talking about the weapon itself, just the mags. I love my gun; make no mistake.

........and unless you've been in the military or through post-Katrina conditions (like myself), you really can't fully appreciate my view. Bottom line, when it hits the fan, all you have is what you got and you can't get any more !!!!!!!!

Yes, Russian mags have been proven................but $150 a pop!?!?!?!?!?!?

Sure, I'll buy $1500 "worth" of mags................and hope I have enough to last till things settle down or Jesus shows up. :rolleyes:

I guess it all boils down to what is YOU mean by tactical. If none of the above applies, they can't be beat and you won't be "out" anything if you wait a little while to see if prices stabilize......but it might cost alittle more later.

If you live in an area that might have the rumored riots pending the outcome of the election........I'd buy one now.

Who knows. I believe it's all up to us. If we don't make a valid, grassroots effort to educate people of value and keep prices lower, they will continue to become more expensive.

You have to remember, these were "$200" guns to begin with. The dollar hasn't fallen enough and steel isn't that expensive to warrant an $800 (or even the increase to $400 which is still high IMHO) price increase.

Keep in mind the .410 is $249 and should be the MOST expensive.....as it is the LEAST produced therfore MORE EXPENSIVE PER UNIT to manufacture..........unless they use parts from other models. Now, if we are talking true future "collector" value, the .410 SHOULD be worth more LATER as less are BOUGHT and they should be more "rare".

This is what happened with the Winchester Model 42 v.s the Model 12.......even thought the 12 was more "popular" similar to the saiga 12 and .410 situation. The .410 Model 42 is worth double to triple and more than the Model 12.

Weird thing is, the Model 25 (non takedown M12) which was only produced four years is worth less than the Model 12. It just goes to show what should make sense sometimes doesn't.

p.s Nothing against Mike's drums, as all reports are favorable.....but I can't buy or carry more than two.......maybe three.

If I had to clean out a crack house in regular, stable, civilian situations, nothing would serve me better than a 8" Tromix and two of Mike's drums..........maybe three :wub: ..............I'd even do it with AGP's or factory 5 rounders....... but not by myself.

A little cynical eh?

I'm just aggrevated at these "chicken little" dealers and mass panic about a gun that's overpriced to begin with.

(actually I'm mad I didn't get one when they were $200, but no one had high cap mags yet so I didn't see the point in owning one.)(I hate to see them go higher).

The thing everone needs to remember it only takes ONE idiot to drive up GB auction prices !!!!! Some poor sap who bought into the hype and scare is being bumped up by the dealer or his buddy. This leads to "the sky is falling" and the price hike that ensues.

WE.......CONTROL THE MARKET............NOT THEM !!!!!! Want lower prices? Simple, DON'T PAY STUPID HIGH PRICES and the market will settle. It all starts with us. We need to not buy in to this just because they are hard to find right now........AND WE NEED TO LET OTHER KNOW THIS ALSO !!!!!!

There is ABSOLUTLY NO EXCUSE for these things to cost this much when IT'S THE CHEAPEST FIREARM IN THE WORLD !!!!!!! Look at what else you can get for the same inflated price. WE ....need to contact dealers who want stupid money for these things and tell them WE'RE NOT GOING TO PAY IT, WE'LL WAIT OR DO WITHOUT !!!!!!! Sure, they'll still sell a few to idiots, but they would see how many sales (and $$) they are missing out on. They'd make more $$$ selling volume as there cost is less.

They come out of Russia, so what !!! " But that's where AK's are supposed to come from" :o . BIG DEAL !!!!!!

Last I checked, I wouldn't want to stop a slug that came out of a Stevens crack barrel or a piece of 3/4"waterpipe made in India !!!!!!

They can be made elsewhere.....AND THEY SHOULD BE if this is how "they are gonna play" !!!!!!

I'd pay good money for one................MADE IN AMERICA OUT OF STAINLESS !!!!!!!! But to pay this much money for a cheaply made gun in a communtist counrty SWOREN TO DESTROY US is ridiculous !!!!!!!!!

Someone needs to step up and put these things into production HERE or somewhere else !!!!!

Yeah, they're "rare" right now.......so is a 47 pound horse terd and I don't see anybody paying $1000 for those either !!!

Besides the Saiga, what other current production RUSSIAN rifle touches U.S. soil that you know of?

Besides the Saiga, what other current production RUSSIAN rifle touches U.S. soil that you know of?

"They come out of Russia, so what !!! " But that's where AK's are supposed to come from" :o . BIG DEAL !!!!!!"

.........like I said.............

"to pay this much money for a cheaply made gun in a communtist counrty SWOREN TO DESTROY US is ridiculous !!!!!!!!!"

.......and..........all the more reason to.......

"Someone needs to step up and put these things into production HERE or somewhere else !!!!!"

Best analogy can think of:

"sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but that don't mean I'll eat the filthy mother f&%^er"

Last week I bought Saiga 12K for $710. And it was the last one in my town for this price. New Saigas now cost $805 in our shops. Everything in Russia is becoming more and more expensive every month, including guns. But I cannot understand one thing: in Russia Saigas cost more than in the US. The distance between Izhevsk and my town (Stavropol, Russia) is about 1000 kilometers. The distance between Izhevsk and US is about 20 000 kilometers. And such a difference in prices... Those swindlers in Izhmash only think about getting as much money as they can.

"They come out of Russia, so what !!! " But that's where AK's are supposed to come from" :o . BIG DEAL !!!!!!"

.........like I said.............

"to pay this much money for a cheaply made gun in a communtist counrty SWOREN TO DESTROY US is ridiculous !!!!!!!!!"

.......and..........all the more reason to.......

"Someone needs to step up and put these things into production HERE or somewhere else !!!!!"

Best analogy can think of:

"sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but that don't mean I'll eat the filthy mother f&%^er"

What's your beef? + Still haven't answered the question. Cheaply made Authentic Russian rifle. BTW, how do you know if rats taste like pumpkin ? Oh. You heard. FMJ.

Last week I bought Saiga 12K for $710. And it was the last one in my town for this price. New Saigas now cost $805 in our shops. Everything in Russia is becoming more and more expensive every month, including guns. But I cannot understand one thing: in Russia Saigas cost more than in the US. The distance between Izhevsk and my town (Stavropol, Russia) is about 1000 kilometers. The distance between Izhevsk and US is about 20 000 kilometers. And such a difference in prices... Those swindlers in Izhmash only think about getting as much money as they can.

Yes but you have to love the price of VODKA :devil: .Cheap booze= enough left over for expensive guns or girls your choice. No one is going to ban together and rise up off their lazy ass and say "WE WON'T PAY THOSE HIGH PRICES." Hell take a look at free enterprise, we should all know and love it. Some people just don't like it when they are the ones taking a lesson in our own back yard. Buy or sell what you want for however much you want to pay or ask for the product. My 1969 Shelby GT 500 was not worth $4,000.00 in 1969 much less $60,000-80,000 today but like the saiga it was a hell of a ride then and now.

I'm just aggrevated at these "chicken little" dealers and mass panic about a gun that's overpriced to begin with.

(actually I'm mad I didn't get one when they were $200, but no one had high cap mags yet so I didn't see the point in owning one.)(I hate to see them go higher).

I'm aggrevated that I didn't buy Microsoft stock back in the early 1990s.

And why didn't I buy that Acura NSX before the price rebounded? Damn me!

Why, oh why didn't I buy 10k rounds of 5.56 3 years ago?!?!

And gee, why didn't I buy 100 Makarovs when they were $100 ea? Grrrr.

Maks are a good analogy for the Saiga. They used to be about $100 to $125. They slowly crept up to $165 and then poof, supply pretty much dissapeared and suddenly they are going to $250 to $300.

At $100 they were a SCREAM of a deal, because they are well made, good performing pistols.

When they were this cheap, people largley ignored them, saying that they were just cheap commie block crap. Nothing at $100 has real value.

At $165 they were still an AWESOME deal.

Suddenly people started to take notice of the little Maks. The word spread, people started to hear about their reputation for rock solid dependability, decent craftsmanship, and good accuracy.

At $300 they are still kick ass guns, and more than worth it.

Now a lot more people know about Maks, and know that the word is good. Problem is, since people remember them being $100 they balk at paying $300 now for one even though they are surely worth it. In fact, imho they still under priced because even at $300 they offer excellent value (and it's a pistol you can give your great grandchild).

Saigas suffer the same stigma. Started out as cheap crap, and that stuck for a while.

People slowly learned the truth, and started singing praises for them. Converted Saigas became the norm, and 10 round mags made them hella gun. They are made from solid components, should last a long time, are very reliable (especially for a semi auto shot gun), and have tons of accesories.

The base gun is really damn good. The potential it has for mods is unbelivably awesome. I see no reason for it not to have a $500 value every day, or more.

And you dismiss some big issues the dollar tanked and these are made in Europe. Oil prices skyrocketed, and these are made in a factory that burns oil, and they are shipped across the big pound on a boat that burns diesel (check the increase in desiel prices).

Based on those changes alone, no wonder new shipments of Saigas will be more expensive. Everything is more expensive.

I think you are being unrealistic. And your request for a 'cheap, metal' functional quad stack magazine' is kind of telling. If one is made, it will not be cheap (the rest is open for debate, but cheap isn't) -- that's just not realistic.

But to pay this much money for a cheaply made gun

Did you miss 'free market' 101?

Cost of production has no bearing on retail price.

Yes the gun is 'cheaply made,' but that does not make it a 'cheap gun.' Especially considering all the modification potential that it has.

The Saigas are, imho, of a better quality than most AKs that sell for >$500.