I have seen may people posting on here and other forums about wanting to convert their rifles and shotties and having to jump through a few extra hoops along the way (such as "permanently" attaching the mags on Saiga shotguns and limiting semi auto guns to one shot per charging handle pull by altering the gas system or removing the piston) Also they are apparently limited to no more than 10 rds per mag if it's detachable in a rifle.

Is all this true? Can you actually own an AK or an AR in the state of commiefornia?

I have heard the answer is yes and seen many people on here say they do allow Saigas and semi auto AKs if they do what it takes to make them Kali-compliant.

Just what IS the truth?

I was on the phone this morning with a gentleman at ProMag and was asking about using their mags in Saigas. I was calling to see if they need a bullet guide or not. My own brand new x39 feeds all but the very last round of wolf HP with no ramp, just the stock ProMag that came in an RAAC bag marked "Saiga". I have modified the 30 rd mag to hold only ten rds so I can use it in my new Saiga without having to convert it just yet. It's the Y stamped, dimpled model.

Anyway, he informed me that they were not really up on AKs much because they were located in Kali and ALL AKs and ARs were illegal there. He said they were all banned by name including Saigas.

What's the real deal? I know we have some west coasters on here.

Cobra since no one else has replied, I will throw in what I saw on the net advertised as Kalifornia legal. FWIW.

It was an a denutted ar15, fixed 10 rd mag (welded somehow I suppose), and you had to pull the rear receiver pin and open the rifle like a break open shotgun and load the mag from the top, then close it and go from there.

If memory serves me, it was semi auto

Its been a couple of years since I saw the ad, things might have changed.

Let me start by saying that I'm not an expert on our laws here in California as I've only been into firearms since last year. Our Assault Weapons Ban bans various rifles by name, such as some Bushmaster AR-15s and I believe anything with Kalashnikov in the name, as well as many other "assault rifles". In addition to the named rifles, assault weapons are banned by features as well. For instance, if a rifle has a detachable magazine, it can't have features such as a pistol grip or a flash hider or a thumbhole stock. The way that we're allowed to have AR-15s and AKs is through off-list receivers. As long as the receiver isn't on the banned list, it's legal to buy it here. From there, the issue of the detachable magazine has been dealt with creatively so to speak. The wording the of law defines a detachable magazine as a magazine that can be removed without the use of a tool. So we have things like bullet buttons and prince50 locks that let the magazine drop by inserting a bullet tip or allen wrench. When you use this type of product, you aren't allowed to use a magazine with more than 10 rounds. This issue hasn't really been tested in court, so it's still a grey area. Some police departments think it's illegal, but some have said it's fine. Also, there are products like the Monster Man grip that get rid of the pistol grip and have a grip that follows the angle of the stock. This allows detachable magazines, but none of the other evil features. With Saiga shotguns, I believe the issue is that we aren't allowed to have semi-auto shotguns with detachable magazines. So, some people have started using magazine locks like on our rifles. The guy at ProMag was grossly misinformed or just spreading FUD.

Personally, I didn't feel like dealing with the hassle of all of this, although many Californians have built legal rifles successfully. I decided to just get a Saiga 7.62x39 and leave it stock and just enjoy it. I still have to wait until next Wednesday because of our 10 day waiting period. RAA Saigas aren't banned by name, although I believe Kalashnikov USA rifles are banned. A couple years ago the DOJ tried to put RAA Saigas on the list, but didn't go though with it. So, the memo talking about that is the proof that the DOJ considers RAA Saigas different from the banned Saigas.

That was kind of long, but I hope it made some sense.

Patrick

Wow things sure are different there. Anyone else have anything to add to that?

Hey Cobra,

Here's a link for ya to check out

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthr...ight=saiga+7.62

this is a great site to learn all about our awesome laws. This is where I learned what little my brain can contain at one time. lol

skins

I'f you look around on the calguns forum you'll see alot of the ffl's out here are not up to date on a lot of things reguarding the law. It's pretty hard to find friendly knowledgable gun dealers out here, so when you do you stick with em.

the saiga x 39 I got out here comes with one 10 round mag. others I have seen come with only five round mags.

let's see, also off the top of my head.. can't have a folding stock, have to have a bullet button, or other device whick reuires a "tool" (wrench or bullet tip) to remove, the rifle can't be under 30"..

that's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

hope that helps.

Edited by rskins
Wow things sure are different there. Anyone else have anything to add to that?

Hey Cobra,

Here's a link for ya to check out

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthr...ight=saiga+7.62

this is a great site to learn all about our awesome laws. This is where I learned what little my brain can contain at one time. lol

skins

I'f you look around on the calguns forum you'll see alot of the ffl's out here are not up to date on a lot of things reguarding the law. It's pretty hard to find friendly knowledgable gun dealers out here, so when you do you stick with em.

the saiga x 39 I got out here comes with one 10 round mag. others I have seen come with only five round mags.

let's see, also off the top of my head.. can't have a folding stock, have to have a bullet button, or other device whick reuires a "tool" (wrench or bullet tip) to remove, the rifle can't be under 30"..

that's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

hope that helps.

found another link. lots of info here.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

A couple years ago the DOJ tried to put RAA Saigas on the list, but didn't go though with it. So, the memo talking about that is the proof that the DOJ considers RAA Saigas different from the banned Saigas.

Do You have a link to that DOJ memo? I just got my Saiga and I am planning to carring a copy of my reciept from Cold War Shooters in California and my local FFL that did my transfer just in case I need to explain that my gun is legal. That memo would be a good thing to show people that the Saiga on the "banned" list is NOT the same as the RAA Saigas.

Thanks,

Duke of SD (San Diego)

A couple years ago the DOJ tried to put RAA Saigas on the list, but didn't go though with it. So, the memo talking about that is the proof that the DOJ considers RAA Saigas different from the banned Saigas.

Do You have a link to that DOJ memo? I just got my Saiga and I am planning to carring a copy of my reciept from Cold War Shooters in California and my local FFL that did my transfer just in case I need to explain that my gun is legal. That memo would be a good thing to show people that the Saiga on the "banned" list is NOT the same as the RAA Saigas.

Thanks,

Duke of SD (San Diego)

I guess it was actually EAA Saigas they tried to add to the list, but it's better than nothing. I think I'm going to carry it with mine as well.

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/CADOJ-Lis...-2006-02-01.pdf

I am glad to live in Oregon. We share a border with Cali, but our gun laws are light years apart. You can own anything you want here. Our "shall issue" concealed carry permits are nice too.

Edited by soberups