New hand guard on ebay

Thanks Indy and Cobra for the good wishes. I had the tank of a truck explode on me when I was cutting some parts off of it. I was wearing saftey glasses so my eyes were spared. The bulk of the burns were to my face (arguably an improvement) and right arm, with the plam being thankfulls spared if you know what I mean :rolleyes: .

RangerM9:

1)At this time I have no real ambition to modify these to fit rifles. If they took off I would cirtianly expand that way. Pm me and we can try and put something together. I initally made this for my Saiga 12 and every one who has seen it in person liked it so I figured why not try and sell a few. I do not have any Saiga Rifles or I would make one for you in an instant. Again we can work something out if you want.

2)I had planed a rail for the longer version to go from the front of the rail and attach to the rear sight mount. Thus adding a much longer sight plane.

3)Rails can be added to this forearm, I made some special T shaped nuts that allow the slots to be used to mount accessory rails that are available from common sources.

4) The one that Tony pictured is my rail only cut down to about 5 in from 14. The longer version is a complete circle from the gas tube forward (4-5 inches) which I inteded to use to later mount the rail to allowing for the use of all Picattiny railed optics/scopes/sights commonly available.

Shorter VS. Longer:

I built this forearm so that it would obscure part of the barrel as I felt the barrel looks too long, also to build off in order to improve the sight plane. I had planned on making them shorter right from the start but I wanted a longer one thus this is where the length came from. Once the conversion has been completed and my barrel cut to 18.5 only about 1-2 inches of barrel will stick out of the forearm and 3 in of muzzle brake will show. This will allow for a cross section that makes the barrel appear much shorter but still retain an overall barrel length of 18.5.

I like the shorter ones as well but for my needs the one I wanted was the one I built.

Mad Max 4x4:

I was refering to the pics of the forearm you posted about, the one you purchased on e-bay.

Thanks, Jay

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-7473-1211761012_thumb.jpgLurkin here for a while ......put this on a buddys gun today..quality piece ,fit like a glove ,built like a tank ...only bitch is that it makes his s12 look cooler than the others I have built. I like it, makes the gun feel hefty.Nice work

Thanks. Glad you were happy. Only wish I could have gotten a pic like that. :rolleyes:

I can't believe this topic is still going strong. And I can't believe someone actually bought one. Sorry but this thing will devalue an S-12 .IMO. Unless you don't know shit about guns. Total eye-sore. FMJ.

Edited by saiga12fan
  • 2 weeks later...
I can't believe this topic is still going strong. And I can't believe someone actually bought one. Sorry but this thing will devalue an S-12 .IMO. Unless you don't know shit about guns. Total eye-sore. FMJ.

Why/how would it devalue the gun? I thought it was just a bolt on and go? If a buyer did not like it they can just swap it back?

FYI, Tony cut one of these down for his personal 10" S12 and it looks pretty fuggin cool.

ETA: I just noticed he posted the pic...well, it looks cool in person too.

Edited by BobAsh

just read the entire thread. personal opinion, the product wouldve gotten better reception had Jay done the talking for it instead of audiofn bragging about selling a damn dvd player to someone that has too much money to begin with. the long tube reminds me of a FAL, not bad if its your 1st shot at something new. takes some getting used to. i think it would be great on a rifle where you can decorate it with ungodly amopunts of sights, grips, lights... but to me shotguns will always be a more "basic" style firearm. ive never used a scope for geese, but it sure helps out on deer at a few hundred yards away.

made any changes to it?

whats the price now?

made any new products?

just read the entire thread. personal opinion, the product wouldve gotten better reception had Jay done the talking for it instead of audiofn bragging about selling a damn dvd player to someone that has too much money to begin with. the long tube reminds me of a FAL, not bad if its your 1st shot at something new. takes some getting used to. i think it would be great on a rifle where you can decorate it with ungodly amopunts of sights, grips, lights... but to me shotguns will always be a more "basic" style firearm. ive never used a scope for geese, but it sure helps out on deer at a few hundred yards away.

made any changes to it?

whats the price now?

made any new products?

Dude you must be a democrat!!! No one has to much money!!! :haha::haha:

made any changes to it?

whats the price now?

made any new products?

actually its too. if someone can waste money on technology that will be outdated in a few years, they have too much money. for 300k id buy land and a cheap dvd player from Wal-Mart.

and if you mean democrat as in obama or clinton, youre sorely mistaken. mccain all the way. i will never vote for any of the washington democrats. im realistic and know the value of a dollar.

First let me say thanks to all who have offered there constructive thoughts both positive and negative.

Second let me recap if I may what my intentions were for this handguard.

1) To install a hand guard on my gun that was unique, at first I did not intend to market these. Once some folks saw my hand guard they wanted ones made as well, so I made up some extras with the intent to sell.

2) Length, The length of the original hand guard came about because I wanted to lengthen the overall look of the gun vs. the barrel thus making the barrel seem shorter than it is. I also wanted to (at some point) to extend a rail from the front of the handguard to the rear sight mount. This would accomplish 2 things add a rail to which optics and buis could be added using commonly available AR parts. It would also make the sight plane longer when using iron sights which would make it more accurate for longer distances if needed.

3) Shorter, while I was making the longer ones I had already determined if the long ones sold then I would make shorter ones with the remaining stock. (long = 14in short = 8 in) I may still make some short ones as I have enought stock left over to make 9 (like pictured by Tony)

4) rails can be easily adapted using nuts provided (like a bridgeport table) and commonly available aftermarket rails.

5) easy solid installation.

152dbs wrote:

"made any changes to it?"

No, aside from making shorter ones or changing slot locations, lenghts etc. I have not really changed the design.

"whats the price now?":

Right now I do not have any more. I am thinking about making a batch of shorter ones,. like the one pictured by Tony, but I need to get some additional tooling. Right now each one is made by hand and takes about 3 hrs. the meterials cost 20$ the welder costs 10$ and the powder coat costs 20$ (per unit) If I can get the machine time down I could hit a price that would be more acceptable. The local machieists I have talked to have quoted between 150 -250$ per part to produce. I had one quote for around 400$ to have it done on a 5 or 6 axis CNC. Thus far I have sold one on e-bay and given the rest away. I am still trying to catch up with the work that I fell behind on when took my 2 week va-ca @ MGH and recovering, so I am not sure when I will get to the short guards any time soon although if I get enough $ together to buy the tooling (200$), and modify the fixtures, I might take a weekend and knock out the rest with the material I have.

"made any new products?":

I do have a bunch of ideas in the works but time and money are tight so I do not know if any of them will come to see the light of day. I would also like to make these for the rifles etc but as of now I only own the one Saiga 12.

As to your thoughts on my absence of posts on this subject:

I read the rules of posting for sale. I offered the one for sale on e-bay and then stayed out of the posts as I did not want it to look like I was pushing the sale of these on the board in violation of Makc's rules. I have given a bunch of these away thus far and right now the additional $ for advertising is not in the budget. If there is enough response to these then I will become a contributor or business member and offer these here. There for I will continue to answer questions but stay out of the post as much as possible. A few folks have sent PMs which I have answered to the best of my ability.

I would also like to thank Tony for the great pictures and his patience with my non-stop PITA qestions. I have thus far been unable to take a really decent picture of the guard so it is nice to see some decent pics of it. I will take some pics of a raw aluminum one and post that when I make some more.

made any changes to it?

whats the price now?

made any new products?

actually its too. if someone can waste money on technology that will be outdated in a few years, they have too much money. for 300k id buy land and a cheap dvd player from Wal-Mart.

and if you mean democrat as in obama or clinton, youre sorely mistaken. mccain all the way. i will never vote for any of the washington democrats. im realistic and know the value of a dollar.

See now I could argue that my customers know the value of the dollar better then most, that is how they got rich.... :ded: Buying one of these units for them is maybe like you going out to buy a burger at Mc D's and trying to decide if you can afford to put cheeze on it. They don't have to decide if they want to spend 300K on some land they would not, they would spend 3 million. It is all perspective, just like this silly hard guard, some like it some hate it. So you are going to vote for the democrat in republican cloths..... OK :D Thanks for the english lesson.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Audiofn

just........read........all........three.......pages.....I may be a bit tired, but did Hilary just buy a 3 million dollar DVD player and trade it to Obama for a handguard????? What was this thread about? :haha: LOLOLOO

I liked the one that ends at the block. I bet it would look better with the rails on it and an Ultimak rail on the gas tube.

Edited by utahhandyman
Any one know what needs to be done to put a MP5 hand guard on a saiga 12 like the one's Atlantic firearms sells made by Red Jacket. I think some would look bad ass

I was thinking the same thing. I haven't seen how this attaches to a mp5 but if its similar to a cetme and there is enough material to dremel out the diameter for the S12 barrel, it could work. Probably just attach a tail to fit the receiver and drill a hole to mount to the gas block. Good thinkin'

Any one know what needs to be done to put a MP5 hand guard on a saiga 12 like the one's Atlantic firearms sells made by Red Jacket. I think some would look bad ass

I was thinking the same thing. I haven't seen how this attaches to a mp5 but if its similar to a cetme and there is enough material to dremel out the diameter for the S12 barrel, it could work. Probably just attach a tail to fit the receiver and drill a hole to mount to the gas block. Good thinkin'

I bought a MP5 hand guard to see if I could fit it and fcked up got two and are for air-soft guns. I suck :cryss: I will try again and read the print and not the pretty picture.

Why not just order one from Will @ Red Jacket? Does he not sell them separate?

I bought a MP5 hand guard to see if I could fit it and fcked up got two and are for air-soft guns. I suck :cryss: I will try again and read the print and not the pretty picture.

just........read........all........three.......pages.....I may be a bit tired, but did Hilary just buy a 3 million dollar DVD player and trade it to Obama for a handguard????? What was this thread about? :haha: LOLOLOO

I liked the one that ends at the block. I bet it would look better with the rails on it and an Ultimak rail on the gas tube.

Not 3 whole pages!!! The HORROR!!!

It will be on Jerry Springer next month so stay tuned :haha::haha:

Edited by Audiofn