How to mod a Saiga 308 to use M14 mags?

It is a very valid question, but I have to ask, have you seen it run?

I mean because if someone just wants a M14 mag in one, I have a mallet...

• Like 1
Yeah, if you read the description he's selling it because it doesn't want to close with anything other than US ammo.

headspacing has nothing to do with mags, right?

:sadam: probably someone here has bought it already. i guess it's a bad idea to post it here ... :chris:

I don't know anything about it, I was just reading what he wrote. I imagine that when you start using parts that weren't meant to be in a particular gun you will have various issues that normally wouldn't be issues.

......I imagine that when you start using parts that weren't meant to be in a particular gun you will have various issues that normally wouldn't be issues.

and hence this site was born...

• Like 1

Krebs used to convert both Saiga and VEPR 308 rifles to use M14 mags but stopped doing the Saiga because of the amount of material that had to be removed from the trunnion and how thing the trunnion locking lugs got to clear the magazine.He still does the conversion on the VEPR though.When I asked him if he had any failures in his M14 magazine converted Saigas he said that he didn't but if somebody blew one up with a reload they would come looking for the guy that carved up the trunnion and he didn't want the liability.

ie,M14 mags can be made to work but the only guy who ever did it commercially charged $200+ to do it and didn't continue to do it after the first year.

I would enjoy an M14 magazine conversion because I have a ton of M14 mags and it would be nice to have all of my 308s use the same mags but with FBMG mags being relatively cheap why bother?

The other interesting idea is that they used to sell plates and front and rear mag catches to convert M14 mags into 308 Galil mags back in the 1980s and the material you remove in the front to make an M14 mag into a 308 Galil mag means you don't have to carve up your trunnion or locking lugs.

• 3 months later...
At lease this guy did it successfully ... :super:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=98855614

pix1964020390.jpg

i modifyied my mags M14 to fit my gun they feed fine and hold bolt open on last shot they hold it open not lock it back im very happy with my vepr II

Would you share your experience in modifying the M14 mags? I would be interested in the process.

If what Tony sez isn't enough.... (It's enough for me and was in '05)...

Over the years, I have seen 3 different approaches to getting High Capacity magazines to work in the S-308.

A. You heavily modify the rifle by seriously cutting on the inside of the front trunnion (sacrificing rigidity and safety) or opening up the mag well back (removing the cross suppport to use an adaptor - [no offense to BRG3 intented - I was the first to sign up for that]) just to have to make "lightly modified" M-14, L1A1/FAL, Galil or G-3 mags to work.

B. You heavily modify the magazine to work, but each one only works in YOUR S-308 (and not it's parent rifle or, potentially, any other S-308) and you have to get each and every one to work - individually...

C. You gat and FBMG or Surefire mag which required no modification to the rifle OR mag to work....

Hmmmmm....

I only have FBMG mags and 6 of the 10 I have are 1st run (Tromix floorplate) mags, from the '05 pre-order, that run flawlessly (regardless of what Jim Fuller and Gabe Suarez told me on Warrior Talk a while back) since very early '06....

I have heard of serious issues with the Surefire 25 rounders, but all else seems right with the universe, as far as S-.308's go...

Given that, I think I'll stick with option "C"...

(I could care less if 1 - 20 round, $30-$35, M-14 mag can be made to work in one S-308.... I want 10, 20 maybe 30 mags and I don't want to have to worry about fitting them, reliability, feeding, ejection issues in ANY S-308...)

Just my .02...

Macbeau sends...

The G3 mag adapter design for S-308 has two advantages:

1. Uses mildly modified cheap G3 mags.

2. Was legal during the ban because the mags could still work in a G3.

A purpose built mag is always better as long as it's built right. If you are completely attached to a certain mag, at some point it becomes more cost effective to buy the rifle it was made for or design and build a new rifle.

I know this is a saiga thread ,but i cant find anyplace else to talk about the vepr 308 mag conversion. As i stated earlier i done the m14 conversion on my vepr and as tony stated, it was not rocket science, but before i made the attempt. I called everybody i could think of, krebs, robinson, the firing line which was recommened by krebs but could not find a source or info on mag conversions for the vepr. Now that the job is finished im surprised because the job wasnt any worse than the weiger mag conversion for my saiga 223. that i put the ramp in the mag not the trunion, but these are readily available from a couple of different vendors. The vepr rivals the bulgy ak's if not surpasses them and i feel comfortable making that statment because i own both as well as romys and saigas. i just dont understand why no one makes mags for such a great gun maybe there is not enough of them to warrant a setup for manufactoring the mag. maybe the inital cost on the m14 mag ,i happened to have a few extras i bought cheap for my socom II so i fiqured the worse i could do was screw up one or two . oh by the way virtuoso were you calling my gun ugly?

Edited by bohnscot